New
Find
Notify
Tools

Are there deer in africa?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Are there any species of deer native to Africa?

Posts: 509 | Location: Flathead county Montana | Registered: 28 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tembo
posted Hide Post
I know some game ranches in South Africa have Fallow deer. As to native species, I don't know.

Posts: 2596 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe Red Deer.

Posts: 885 | Location: Eastern Cape, South Africa | Registered: 08 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I seem to recall that there are native African Red Deer somewhere on the North African coast, I don't know if they can still be hunted. A buddy of mine in Cape Town said he hunts fallow deer near Table Mountain, but of course they are not native.

Posts: 1357 | Location: Texas | Registered: 17 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've heard of barbary red deer maybe it's the same deer as your thinking of.

Posts: 509 | Location: Flathead county Montana | Registered: 28 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, same thing.

Posts: 885 | Location: Eastern Cape, South Africa | Registered: 08 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You must first define "deer". DNA and follow-on genetics?

114-R10David

Posts: 1753 | Location: Prescott, Az | Registered: 30 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, Barbary Red Deer is the correct name.

One of Us
Picture of Karoo
posted Hide Post
The Eastern Cape has some very good free-range fallow hunting. I think that they are actually native to North Africa, along with the Mediterranean.

Posts: 787 | Location: Eastern Cape, South Africa | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is a population of a red deer( Cervus elaphus barbarusin) Algier and tunesia. Thats the only natural Cervide i ever heard of in africa.

http://www.dr-safaris.com/
Instagram: dr-safaris

Posts: 2094 | Location: Around the wild pockets of Europe | Registered: 09 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Karoo:
The Eastern Cape has some very good free-range fallow hunting. I think that they are actually native to North Africa, along with the Mediterranean.

The Persian Fallow Deer was native to North Africa, but was thought to be extinct in it's native habitat by the 1950's. You got me on that one Karoo! thumb

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I was told that the fallow deer was originally native to northern Africa. bewildered

One of Us
Picture of Bahati
posted Hide Post
What I do know is that the safari industry has quite a few few "Dear" - specifically the "Dear John" variety. Apparently linked to extended tours of duty on safari with mommy alone and bored at home they say ... rotflmo

Johan

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RBHunt:
quote:
Originally posted by Karoo:

The Persian Fallow Deer was native to North Africa, but was thought to be extinct in it's native habitat by the 1950's. You got me on that one Karoo! thumb

As far as i know the persian Fallow deer was native to Syria, Iraq, Israel, Jordan, Iran etc. but not North africa. A small population of 300 survived in Iran.

http://www.dr-safaris.com/
Instagram: dr-safaris

Posts: 2094 | Location: Around the wild pockets of Europe | Registered: 09 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
From Wikipedia; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Deer
quote:

The Red Deer inhabits most of Europe, the Caucasus Mountains region, Asia Minor and parts of western and central Asia. It also inhabits the Atlas Mountains region between Morocco and Tunisia in northwestern Africa, being the only species of deer to inhabit Africa.

There are various populations of exotic deer species (Axis, Fallow, Hog & Red) found on private land in South Africa. Have a look at this outfitter

Posts: 392 | Location: Pretoria, South Africa | Registered: 30 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Good malt whisky is especially deer here and good malt Islay whisky is not only deer but helluva rare.

Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Isn't the water chevrotain, small hornless critter in the West African forest, a deer rather than an antelope?

Posts: 265 | Location: central california | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by craig boddington:
Isn't the water chevrotain, small hornless critter in the West African forest, a deer rather than an antelope?

Yes, I guess that is correct, they are a member of the mouse deer family. And I guess so is the Royal Antelope. I gotta rethink this whole thing. bewildered

Time to break out the reference books, Mellon's African Hunter and my autographed copy of African Hunter II. Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by craig boddington:

I did not think of that one!

A fascinating animal. It sees that they are described as deer-like ungulates but taxonomically form a unique and distinct family Tragulidae within the ruminant family tree.

The Ruminant Family Tree

Posts: 392 | Location: Pretoria, South Africa | Registered: 30 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by umshiniwam:
There are various populations of exotic deer species (Axis, Fallow, Hog & Red) found on private land in South Africa. Have a look at this outfitter

I looked at that outfitter's website.....very interesting, especially this photo bewildered

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3110 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Eish...now they are canning tigers as well Confused