New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tz ivory not importable into the US
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
A US based agent sent an email update a few days ago saying that USFW have banned sport hunted ivory from Tanzania from being imported into the US.

Anyone heard something similar?

"...Them, they were Giants!"
J.A. Hunter describing the early explorers and settlers of East Africa

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3035 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If this is true it means Double Trouble for the TZ hunting Industry. Many cancelation will follow for 09 Safaris.

Nec Timor Nec Temeritas

one of us
posted Hide Post
mich,

I get the e-mail updates on a contineuos basis from SCI and The Hunting Report. I've heard nothing to indicate that the elephant's US import status has changed.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Who was the agent???

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mich,

Conservation Force will have a definative answer for you. Personally haven't heard a word..

Jeff

Posts: 2857 | Location: FL | Registered: 18 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've gotten zero on this. Not even a rumor of a rumor.

Dan Donarski
Hunter's Horn Adventures
Sault Ste. Marie, MI 49783
906-632-1947
www.huntershornadventures.com

Posts: 668 | Location: Michigan's U.P. | Registered: 20 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i've heard nothing either. Could be that it isn't importable is you shoot it with other than a double Big Grin Wink BOOM

Posts: 13461 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A while back I remember a thread about the USF&WS blocking TZ ivory, but that it was quickly resolved.

Posts: 10995 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Below is excerp of the email sent to TAHOA on 5th April this year:

quote:
TAHOA

To Whom It May Concern

Pease be advised that the United States Government Fish & Wildlife Service is writing our clients that they will not issue CITES permits for elephant for Tanzania this year. They claim the Tanzania Government has not done the paperwork required by our government, so no permits will be issued.

If the U.S. Government does not issue the CITES import permits it could have serious consequences on the safari season and there will be many cancellations.

Please do what you can to help.

Thank you.

I have omitted the agent's name sufice to say he is one of the longest active and respected in the business and does specialize selling elephant hunts in Tz. I have also tried to look on the website of USFW but found nothing.

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3035 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
TAHO
They claim the Tanzania Government has not done the paperwork required by our government, so no permits will be issued.

NO WAY!!
African governments would not let this happen..

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ozhunter:
NO WAY!!
African governments would not let this happen..

Ah dammit, that's another coffee damaged keyboard gone west!!!

rotflmo jumping rotflmo

one of us
posted Hide Post
Did you get the email on April 1?

Posts: 1093 | Location: Florida | Registered: 14 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
See my post - rcvd April 5th

I also thought it might have been an April 1 message but it wasn't.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
How can we find out with certainty?

I said I would never go to Tanzania again after the trophy fee fiasco. Howvver, I am on the verge of booking a hunt in Tanzania for September. Elephant is on my agenda.I don't want to book if this is true.

Posts: 12095 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
How can we find out with certainty?

I said I would never go to Tanzania again after the trophy fee fiasco. Howvver, I am on the verge of booking a hunt in Tanzania for September. Elephant is on my agenda.I don't want to book if this is true.

Don't know with whom you intend booking your Elephant hunt but I would look at Oct/Nov rather than Sept.

Posts: 307 | Location: Tanzania | Registered: 19 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately September is about the only time I can go.

The Hunting Report knows nothing about this issue. Barbara is contacting USFWS to find out. If true, she is going to put John Jackson on it immediately.

Posts: 12095 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I also sent an email to USFW website but so far no response

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Mich,

From my (albeit limited) experience, USF&WS will probably take weeks, if not months to reply to an email.

Do we have anyone in the US who could give them a call perhaps?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Called yesterday, and this morning. I'm getting the "huh?" response and a promise to call back.

Dan Donarski
Hunter's Horn Adventures
Sault Ste. Marie, MI 49783
906-632-1947
www.huntershornadventures.com

Posts: 668 | Location: Michigan's U.P. | Registered: 20 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just got an e mail from Barbara Crown at the Hunting Report. She says she spoke with Mike Carpenter at USFWS and he says this is NOT correct.

They have yet to receive the information to make a non-detriment finding but they expect to have it soon.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Below reply from Michael Carpenter at USFW

quote:
the following are included in the trophy imports -
PERSONAL SPORT HUNTED TROPHY - shipment may contain bones, claws, hide, skull, teeth, or any taxidermied part.
DOES NOT include worked, manufactured, or handicraft items such as curios, jewelry, or other utilitarian items.

If you intend to import any of the Does Not Include items they will need to be listed separately on both the Tanzania export permit AND on the U.S. Import permit. They will need to be listed with a purpose code of P for personal use NOT H as they are not considered part of the hunting trophy by the U.S.

No ivory other than the raw tusks may be imported.

Within those parameters they may be imported.

Good hunting!

One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
There it is. Just more African FUD spread via email by someone unknown.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
sounds like this "longest active and respected agent in the business" is slipping or needs to check his "facts " more closely before putting his foot in his mouth.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13402 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Maybe wanted all the ele hunting to his self....

Mike Big Grin

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You may have heard a rumor that the US Fish & Wildlife Service will not be issuing import permits for Tanzanian ivory for the 2009 season. According to Mike Carpenter, Senior Biologist at the US Fish & Wildlife Service Division of Management Authority, this is not correct. "We do not have the required non-detriment finding for Tanzania yet, but expect to issue permits once that finding is completed," Carpenter wrote me late yesterday in an e-mail response to an inquiry from The Hunting Report.

Extend Your
Subscription For Free

You may recall there was a crisis last year, when miscommunications between two US Fish & Wildlife departments almost lead the agency to refuse issuing permits. John J. Jackson, III, of Conservation Force was able to unravel that problem and permits were issued for 2008. "Tanzania has the second largest elephant population in the world," says Jackson. "US Fish & Wildlife has all the information they need to make a non-detriment finding and should do so without any problems." Jackson says the non-detriment finding for Tanzania is little more than a formality now that must be done each year, typically in the late spring.

No one seems to know the exact source of this current rumor, although it was mentioned on the online hunting forum Accurate Reloading. If you have an elephant hunt booked for Tanzania this season, relax. Carpenter should be issuing those import permits very soon. Be certain you fill out your application correctly, however. I've heard of at least one hunter whose application was turned down due to some errors. You can contact Carpenter directly by e-mail at Michael_Carpenter@fws.gov. - Barbara Crown, Editor

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Travel Services

Medical Evacuation &
Field Rescue Service

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Passport & Visa Service

Hunting Country Maps
Want to Rent
A Satellite Phone?

Click Here to Have Us
Contact You With a Quote