Find
Notify
Tools

Gun shot wound first aid kit
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted
A former British Army nurse, and now humanitarian aid worker, has developed what appears (to me at least) to be a very useful first aid kit with oral instructions for treatment, including gun shot wounds. I'll be looking into it for our teams in certain parts of Africa. It's brand new so I don't know much more than that for the time being. Might be interesting for PH's.

http://www.devex.com/en/news/b...EwcWGog8xAlOH%2Fg%3D

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tampons, Betadine, touriquet,garbage bag,packing tape. if it needs more than that stop wasting your last moments on earth.

Posts: 305 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 13 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
+ three blank A4 sheets for the victim to sign together with witness or two. Fill in the rest later when more convenient as a field dictated "Last Will and Testament." Big Grin

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This sounds like something needed by the client here in Zim, who last week shot himself in the foot with his own .470NE double? bewildered

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aaron Neilson:
This sounds like something needed by the client here in Zim, who last week shot himself in the foot with his own .470NE double? bewildered

Friggen OOOOPPS ! Was it a soft or solid? Left or right or both? Big Grin I presume a through and through? hilbily A H Q, you gonna need a big tampon for that hole. dancing Was he aiming for a Darwin Award and missed? Roll Eyes

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The perfect kit includes knife, pliers, body bag and power of attorney. Pliers and knife for getting bullet out if still alive, if not alive body bag and power of attorney, just make sure signs power of attorney with dying stroke. Big Grin

Good Hunting,

Posts: 3143 | Location: Duluth, GA | Registered: 30 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
http://www.uscav.com/category....catid=2754&tabid=548

Company provides all sorts of military and militarymed kits-like supplies. Their first aid kits are quite good.

Chuck

Posts: 359 | Location: NW Montana | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by African Hunters Quest:
Tampons, Betadine, touriquet,garbage bag,packing tape. if it needs more than that stop wasting your last moments on earth.

+1

Anything else should be in a general first aid kit anyway.

Previously 500N with many thousands of posts !

Posts: 1815 | Location: Australia | Registered: 16 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For around $25 you can purchase Combat Gauze and a trama bandage. They take up little space and are light weight. Take the time to read up about Combat Gauze, it may save your life or that of a friend.

Yackman

Posts: 582 | Location: Searcy,AR | Registered: 23 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
Did you all look at the link? Seriously, a talking trauma kit?

You just need a good bandage like an Israeli or a Cinch Tight bandage along with a blood stopper like QuickClot or Celox.

Chinook Medical is a good source.

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3080 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of Crazy Horse RVN
posted Hide Post
The biggest cause of death from gunshot wounds is from shock. Certainly one must first address bleeding , but after that is stemmed concentrate on treating for shock.

There are many other factors that can contribute to one's demise from a serious gunshot wound, depending upon the area of impact and exit, (and always check the exit area) but shock is a real killer.

Chest shots...sucking chest wounds, are particularly difficult to deal with and require evacuation to a hospital as quickly as possible.

It's been a long time since I've dealt wih any gunshot wounds, and treatment has improved greatly since my time in RVN, but after blood flow and breathing issues are attended to, treatment of shock is vital.

Tolerance is the virtue of a man without convictions.

Posts: 16 | Location: S.E. PA | Registered: 27 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
quote:
This sounds like something needed by the client here in Zim, who last week shot himself in the foot with his own .470NE double?

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
This pic never fails to gross me out every time I see it.

quote:
Originally posted by 505 gibbs:
quote:
This sounds like something needed by the client here in Zim, who last week shot himself in the foot with his own .470NE double?

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3080 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

A H Q, you gonna need a big tampon for that hole.
quote:

Luckily he was in Zim
The land of elephants.

I am sure if you had a good tracker you could find one of these in no time at all.

Posts: 305 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 13 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Scriptus,
you forgot the most important thing proper positioning.place the gun shot patient in a comfortable sitting position so he can bend forward far enough to kiss his ass goodbye!!!!! Big Grin

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A snake bite kit should also be carried.
It should contain.....
A case of whiskey and a box of snakes.

Mark

Posts: 1244 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
As mentioned by some others here, all my hunting partners and I have carried QuikClot/Celox and the Israeli/Cinch Tight bandage on safari for the past 10 years. Once I introduced them to these products they all wanted them. Not only for gunshot wounds but in the event of a serious (is there any other kind?) cat mauling, Buff horning, Ele stomping, etc. These items have proven themselves in combat and are now standard issue to all U.S. ground combat forces.

If you hunt anything, anywhere and don't know what these products are then you really need to do a quick internet search. Your PH should have these items, but they won't until they are forced to do so. As always, you are ultimately responsible for your own survival.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not familiar with the Israeli/Cinch Tight bandage. Details?

Posts: 10363 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't forget some gloves.

If you have latex allegeries, or any other allergy for that matter, let your PH/outfitter know in advance.

Robert

If we can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people, under the pretense of taking care of them, they must become happy. Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Posts: 1207 | Location: Tomball or Rocksprings with Namibia on my mind! | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
Hhhmmmnn!! I think that if I had 500 grain, half inch diameter projectile go through any part of me, I would not be too concerned with latex allergies. Not just then anyway! Roll Eyes

Lavaca ; http://www.google.co.za/#hl=en...i=g-K2g-bK2&aql=&gs_
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qoji5Yc4UG8
I reckon that should answer the original question.

It is a pity that the postage is a killer and the chance of postal theft is so great. Mad

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scriptus:
quote:
Originally posted by Aaron Neilson:

Friggen OOOOPPS ! Was it a soft or solid? Left or right or both? Big Grin I presume a through and through? hilbily A H Q, you gonna need a big tampon for that hole. dancing Was he aiming for a Darwin Award and missed? Roll Eyes

Scriptus - All I know is he shot himself with a .470NE double, but I believe it was a solid? How, I could not even imagine - but it happened.

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
Thanks Aaron, it is not so uncommon and I will relate one incident that I know.

Several years ago, on a property the other side of Fort Beaufort, a driven kudu shoot was held. One of the guns was placed in a position on the side of a kloof [drainage/small valley.] The man was carrying a sporterised .303 B. These old rifles can be loaded with the firing pin down. One can pull the pin out for one or two positions, the first position is a half-cock, locking the trigger and firing pin. The second position is a full cock and the weapon can be fired. The shooter in the story was standing with the weapon in half-cock, with the muzzle resting on his shoe. And, here come the kudu, pulse picks up, mouth becomes dry, brain goes to hell. In his excitement, he pulls back the pin to its full position but more than likely holding the trigger back. On letting the pin go there is an almighty bang and the kudu return rather quickly to whence they had come. On returning to the truck, the shooter removes his boot and throws it down in order to remove his sock. The second toe is no longer in its normal spot, in fact it is lying in the now discarded boot. Cool

And they breed and walk among us! nilly

One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
www.chinookmed.com/cgi-bin/item/05141/s-bandages...

or

www.chinookmed.com/cgi-bin/item/05130

and

www.z-medica.com

or

www.celoxmedical.com/prods_celox.htm

These products are readily available on the internet or at outdoor stores such as REI. The quickClot and Celox do have a shelf life - approximately 5 years - and so do need to be replaced as they expire. These items are CHEAP when you consider the alternative results. You might also consider one of the Army or Marine (they are different) tourniquets as well.

Video instructions are available on-line and if you can use a firearm you can use these lifesaving products.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was talking to Shawn Kennedy with Gracy Travel when Shawn got the call that this guy who was her client was being medivaced out. The story I heard was that he shot a buffalo and in the excitement after the kill he rest the muzzle of his double on his foot and somehow pulled the trigger. Ouch!

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13018 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
One thing you must take is Super Glue. Obviously not for gun shot wounds, but my friends and I have avoided a lot of 3 hour round trips, plus waiting time, to ERs due to serious cuts.

The worst I ever did was cut the outside of my leg where it bends with a chainsaw - from the knee cap down across to the big outer tendon. Now, I didn't get the tendon or my knew cap, but I got real darn close. I bled like a shark bit my leg. It was a DEEP long cut. I went back to the cabin, take 8 ibuprofen, jumped in the shower, and scrubbed (yes scrubbed) it out with one of the surgical scrub brushes that has beta/iodine on it. Hurt like a MOFO - but figured they would do the same at the hospital. When my friends got back, one of them held it closed while I glued the top shut. I went on hunting for a week. nasty scar for about a year, it's faded now.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Austin Hunter:
One thing you must take is Super Glue. Obviously not for gun shot wounds, but my friends and I have avoided a lot of 3 hour round trips, plus waiting time, to ERs due to serious cuts.

The worst I ever did was cut the outside of my leg where it bends with a chainsaw - from the knee cap down across to the big outer tendon. Now, I didn't get the tendon or my knew cap, but I got real darn close. I bled like a shark bit my leg. It was a DEEP long cut. I went back to the cabin, take 8 ibuprofen, jumped in the shower, and scrubbed (yes scrubbed) it out with one of the surgical scrub brushes that has beta/iodine on it. Hurt like a MOFO - but figured they would do the same at the hospital. When my friends got back, one of them held it closed while I glued the top shut. I went on hunting for a week. nasty scar for about a year, it's faded now.

Just for future reference Ibuprofen is an anti coagulant.