THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    In two + years on AR, here is what I have learned...
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

In two + years on AR, here is what I have learned...
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
In two plus years reading and contributing to AR, here is what I have learned about African hunting...

Please feel free to add to the list...

1. When you are going to book a hunt, go to a show and meet the safari company, agent and PH if possible. THis is better than phone calls and internet references. Go with the outfit you can trust and that you can "click" with.

2. Get the details of the trip agreed and written down before you send money.

3. Use an experienced travel agent to book the tickets and search for deals. Even when using air miles, pay a little extra to allow the agent to help you. They do this for a living and are pro's.

4. Use a reputable, experienced, full time agent. They have more info than you can gather in months of surfing the internet. Check references on the agent as well as the safari company.

5. Do not sweat the decision on a rifle. Use a rifle that is appropriate for the hunt. Nearly any name brand will work fine. The caliber, as long as it is .375 H&H or bigger, is not that important. All of them work when the shot is in the proper location. Leave gimicky rifles at home, such as single shots, .45-70's, .405 lever guns - until you know what you are doing and can properly assess your ability to use that weapon correctly.

6. Practice a lot with the rifle.

7. Use a scope. Open sites are fun but the amateur shoots better with a scope.

8. Use premium bullets - Nosler Partition, TBBC, Barnes, A-Frame - they all work.

9. Pack light - extra light. Only take what the PH/safari company suggest.

10. Spend your money on good boots/shoes. No need to buy expensive or stylish clothes, but boots are important.

11. Take a digital camera with extra batteries. Take a video camera with extra batteries. Take a lot of pictures.

12. Take a diary and write about your trip.

13. TIp the guys that work for you. Whatever amount you feel is appropriate is the right amount.

14. Do what the PH says. He is the pro and wants you to succeed. Just because you do things a certain way in Texas, do not expect to do it that way in Africa. Listen and learn.

15. Leave the measuring tape at home. It does not help you enjoy the hunt. Shoot when the PH says to shoot and you will be fine.

16. Enjoy you hunt wherever you go - if in RSA, have fun and shoot a lot. If in Zim - enjoy that style and have fun. Don't let anyone tell you that only the pro's hunt dangerous game in the Selous or wherever. It is your hunt - have fun.

17. Expect to get hooked on the experience and want to go back.

18. Read Ruark, Selous and others about Africa but realize that times have changed. Read these guys for fun. Read Boddington for facts.

19. Take your wife and kids. It is the best money you will ever spend.

Posts: 10364 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Dogcat: Looks good to me.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16633 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
20. Take only shots you are comfortable with DO NOT let anyone force you to take a shot with which you are not comfortable.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
21. Be in good shape, it makes your hunt more enjoyable.

22. When traveling with firearms and in Africa learn to smile and stay calm no matter what happens.....................JJ

" venator ferae bestiae et aquae vitae "

Posts: 593 | Location: Southern WV, USA | Registered: 03 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ross,

I think you've pretty much covered it but I'd like to add that doing a bunch of research before the show and narrowing down the outfits you are considering is a good idea. If you go to the Reno, Dallas or whatever show cold the array of offerings is mind blowing and you could very well make a choice that is not the best one for you. I'd make a shopping list if you will, get that business out of the way then start browsing.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
23. Remember to have fun and appreciate the whole experience.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12695 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
quote:
14. Do what the PH says. He is the pro and wants you to succeed. Just because you do things a certain way in Texas, do not expect to do it that way in Africa. Listen and learn.

15. Leave the measuring tape at home. It does not help you enjoy the hunt. Shoot when the PH says to shoot and you will be fine.

The rest of the list is on, but these are my two favorite ones. thumb

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Extra batteries...I bought a camera that uses double A's..took these E batteries for electronic devices...Made other double A's look obsolete..highly recommend them....

Mike thumb

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
24) No matter how well you plan, something will go wrong. There is no such thing as a perfect trip. Roll with the punches and don't fixate on the little glitches. Be patient!

25) The real drama in African hunting is A) Having all your luggage show up at the same time/place as you, and B) Getting your trophies back. (read #24 again).

Posts: 3277 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
By George, I think you've got it!

I'd agree with 1., above, to the exptend you click and trust; however, I have booked several hunts with outfits over the phone that have been outstanding: Premier Safaris (Charlie Goldenberg), Bill Bedford's Engwe Safaris (Bruce Grant), and over the web with Vaughn Fulton. I have never been to a show, I've been nine times, and I have had only one less than OK hunt and that was one of our best trips because of a tour we ended up taking with both ph's thru Kruger Park.

I do follow all the rest of the guidance that you mention. Kudude

Posts: 1473 | Location: Tallahassee, Florida | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Good one Matt. In Sept of 01 (ring a bell?) after a perfect safari, I was stuck in Johannesburg for two days because of 9/11 then had to divert through Frankfurt. Try foreseeing that chain of events! jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
26. When you open things up with dangerous game with the first shot, keep shooting until the PH tells you to stop or the crew is loading it on the truck.
27. When you get a good shot at a trophy or in particular an exceptional animal, take the shot, even if you are after some other animal at the time.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
All,
Thanks for the additions and help. When the thread is winding down, I will put them all on one list with the appropriate credits.

Posts: 10364 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Would only add:

Have a clear understanding with you PH about the size of the game you want to shoot and the trophies you're willing to accept.

Otherwise an excellent list.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I learned that Howard Hill is still alive and is posting on this sight! Big Grin

But really all of the above posts are good information.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Might add to these really good points the need to have a clear agreement with the PH on when he/she shoots after your first shot.
Regards

Posts: 1322 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dogcat:

4. Use a reputable, experienced, full time agent. They have more info than you can gather in months of surfing the internet. Check references on the agent as well as the safari company.

Not necessary and perhaps in some cases undesirable for mainstream hunting (like buff and PG in Africa) with reputable companies.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
28. Use Optima travel to be sure your guns make it through the JoBerg airport.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Matt Norman:
24) No matter how well you plan, something will go wrong. There is no such thing as a perfect trip. Roll with the punches and don't fixate on the little glitches. Be patient!

The best advice I have read on here in a long time thumb thumb

"...Them, they were Giants!"
J.A. Hunter describing the early explorers and settlers of East Africa

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3035 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Heritage Arms
posted Hide Post
I would add, You are in Africa, not home any more. Don't try and bring your home with you, enjoy the other cultures you are a guest there afterall.

Aleko

Hits count, misses don't

Posts: 1573 | Location: USA, most of the time  | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
# take a little pocket recorder and record your feeling/notes/little things you don't want to forget/ as they happen. it is very helpful when you transcribe it at home.

If you own a gun and you are not a member of the NRA and other pro 2nd amendment organizations then YOU are part of the problem.

Posts: 1231 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 12 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by els:
# take a little pocket recorder and record your feeling/notes/little things you don't want to forget/ as they happen. it is very helpful when you transcribe it at home.

And to think some of us old guys made it there before AR!

els,

I still have not heard what happened on your ele hunt.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19362 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Clem
posted Hide Post
29. Always pack a roll or two of toilet paper.

Posts: 1292 | Location: I'm right here! | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
30. they all are liars at booking.(well actually all the time).

Posts: 25 | Location: nevada | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by elkhunts:
30. they all are liars at booking.(well actually all the time).

elkhunts,

thumbdown

Some people to not book with ever again if this has been your experience. If they lie about something, how do you know when they tell the truth? I can't abide liars in business, hunting, hunt bookings or elsewhere. thumbdown

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hunting Trophy Queen
posted Hide Post
Be sure to register all those recorders, digital camera, and firearms (anything with a serial number) on Form 4457 with Customs before you leave and keep the original with you.

Also be sure you get a copy of your Hunting Register to take home with you - saves a hassle if the paperwork gets lost in the overseas system.

Carolyn Rutkowski
Consultant, Hunting Trophy Division
Coppersmith Inc.
TheRutkowskis@aol.com

Posts: 53 | Location: Carrollton, Texas | Registered: 02 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
Have a clear understanding with the PH of how the hunt will be conducted; whether you will be driving or walking to spot game, etc.

Have a clear understanding of what is or is not included in the daily rates, and what those things that are not included in the daily rates will cost.

Remember that most PHs or outfitters are interested in your having a positive experience. If the arrangements are not to your liking or you want to do something different from what was originally arranged, talk to the outfitter or PH. They will often change plans to accomodate you.

Make sure to take extra time to be a tourist and see the sights.

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3832 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Never go anywhere without a well illustrated bird reference book in your pack.
That little bird be it a shrike, or whatever will haunt you when you try to identify it back home.

One of Us
Picture of kudu4u
posted Hide Post
May I ask what is the Hunting Register referred to by a previous poster? Might that be the master list of game taken the PH has to fill out?

"In these days of mouth-foaming Disneyism......"--- Capstick
Don't blame the hunters for what the poachers do!---me

Benefactor Member NRA

Posts: 477 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 13 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TheBigGuy
posted Hide Post
The number ONE thing I learned on AR.

I can go too, so I did Smiler

Posts: 1282 | Registered: 17 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Exit31
posted Hide Post
No5.? I take it to mean that bringing my 30-06 is fine for appropreate game ...and...if bringing big bore, I don't need to be a worry wart about caliber .375 or bigger is fine...?

And TheBigGuy your post, although slight, talks big.

Why shall there not be patient confidence in the ultimate justice of the people? Is there any better or equal hope in the world? Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 599 | Location: Canada, NS | Registered: 19 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bring a carton or two of Marlboro cigarettes, regardless of whether or not you smoke.

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
Never walk away from the truck without your rifle, ammo, and water.

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3832 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you are going on a 21 day safari or longer, remember that it is a marathon not a sprint. There will be hard days and days of disappointment but these days are the few and they will be followed by days of joy and excitement. That's why I keep going!

One of Us
Picture of Woodmnctry
posted Hide Post
# Something --- Make sure that you have a local contact name and phone # so that should your outfitter/PH or whatever --forget to pick you up at the airport upon arrival (just happened to me) that you have a safety net as so to speak - otherwise bring a pillow -- you may be sleeping on the airport bench.

OMG!-- my bow is "pull-push feed" - how dreadfully embarrasing!!!!!

Posts: 932 | Location: 8K Ft in Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Before the stalk starts leave the binos in the truck. The PH will have them and fumbling between binos and gun scope just doesn't work (at least for me).

Posts: 1 | Location: Peoples Republic Of New York | Registered: 28 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just was given a suggestion by my daughter -

Take some hard candy for the trackers, skinners and scouts. A couple of bags of sweets goes a long ways.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
21. Train, then train some more. The older you are, the harder and longer you should train. If you're pushing 60, start a minimum of six months in advance. Don't sit in front of the TV watching Tracks Across Africa a month before the hunt. If you belong to a club, use it, and walk as much on any uneven ground as you can find. Make damned certain that your footgear is completely broken in. If you can carry your rifle, binos, ammo and water without getting arrested when you are walking, do so. Get accustomed to that ten pound rifle grinding into your shoulder. Walk in the rain, too. Become accustomed to discomfort and ignore it.

A 7 day hunt is a sprint, if you're hunting Buffalo in Tanzania. You may fill your bag, but don't be too disappointed if you don't. After all, the Buffalo is the true goal, isn't he?

6. And shoot. A lot. Offhand. From 25, 50, and 100 yards. 200 or more, if you can find a range that offers distance, and use a rest as well from standing position. African shooting sticks are as steady as a rock. It's impossible to duplicate them buying metal bipods or monopods. Too shaky. So make a set out of three saplings about six feet long with some rubber inner tube or a long strip of surgical rubber to attach them with.

Memorize the ballistic data for the round you're shooting, in case you have to make a long shot. That rifle should require no concious thought process to operate. It should be an extension of your body, your psyche. You should be able to call every shot and place them with surgical precision. A lousy shooter is a lousy hunter. It all comes down to that first shot. It must count. Otherwise, why bother?

Additionally, if you wear glasses, clean them meticulously each morning of the hunt with soap and water. Take along a silicone lens cleaning cloth. They may fog at the critical moment. Mine did, but I pulled it out, anyway. Nobody I know ever mentioned that, and although I had them occasionally fog on the range and while shooting in the woods, who would have thought they'd choose the exact moment to fog up when that bull walked into the shooting lane? I should have thought of that, and I missed it. (Not the Buffalo. Cleaning the lenses). That was a real Dammit!!

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
And don't leave your binos on the truck. Buy the best that you can possibly afford, along with a Crooked Horn Outfitters bino harness. You will need those binos, regardless of what the PH is seeing. You need to see it, also. After all, you're supposed to shoot it.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The converse side of the client being fit is to select a PH who is fit. As the years go by, some PHs grow the typical spare tire and spend too little time in the gym, leaving a very frustrated client. Likewise, when the client looks like the michelin man and the PH is a triathelete, it can also make for a frustrating hunt. Best to sort these issues out in advance.