New
Find
Notify
Tools

Our new concession in Ethiopia...
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Ethiopian Rift Valley Safaris is opening the first ever hunting concession in the Somali Region of Ethiopia. The concession, known as Biye Bahi, which in Somali means good water, is located in northeastern Ethiopia about 60 kms north of the town of Harar. The area is teeming with Somali Soemmering’s gazelle (photos of several top 10 specimens have been taken) as well as northern gerenuk, a sub-species which can only be hunted in Ethiopia and in years past has only been available in one other hunting concession. Biye Bahi also promises to produce huge lesser kudu, possibly even bigger than the ones found in the Omo Valley, which currently dominate the top of the SCI record book. Desert Warthog are also fund in the area. The desert warthog or Somali warthog (Phacochoerus aethiopicus) is a scientifically recognized separate speices from the common warthog (Phacochoerus africanus), exhibiting different cranial and dental features as well as a different facial appearance. The smallest and probably most noteworthy species found in Biye Bahi is the Harar dik-dik. This sub-species of dik-dik hasn’t been hunted since the early 1990’s and there are only 15 total entries in the SCI record book.

Rich Elliott

Rich Elliott
Ethiopian Rift Valley Safaris

Posts: 2013 | Location: Crossville, IL 62827 USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Minimum days, daily rates, trophy fees? I am sure I am not the only one interested? Some great species available here... how does this compare to hunting the Omo Valley?

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rich,

Congratulations, Ethiopia is a wonderful country and ERVS an outstanding company. Is the hunting area within driving distance of Addis or will an air charter be necessary?

Hoping you have great success in this new area!!!

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9486 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bwanamrm. I'm posting this merely as information. Most everyone knows how to contact me and we'll be at SCI just like always. This area will be treated the same as our Omo Concession. It can stand on it's own or be incorporated into a combo hunt. I've seen pictures of lesser kudu there that rival Omo specimens. Same for the Soemmering's and Northern Gerenuk. There will be some new top 10 entries from this area for sure. I'll see it for myslef in February. We'll have an air strip but it can be also driven to in one long, long day.
Rich Elliott

Rich Elliott

Posts: 2013 | Location: Crossville, IL 62827 USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
how far is it from the Somali border?

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13400 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Looks to be about 60 KM. This is Northern Somalia which refers to itself as Somaliland with a Capitol at Hargesa. There hasn't been any trouble up there. It's all several hundred miles away in the south. The natives on both sides of the border are Issas. They asked us to open the concession and have been very co-operative.
Rich Elliott

Rich Elliott