New
Find
Notify
Tools

Old Indian hunting grounds
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 173 | Location: Bangalore, India. | Registered: 18 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 173 | Location: Bangalore, India. | Registered: 18 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
RIP,

As you can see cattle do roam the cities.

Nitro X,

It gets cold on the early morning drives at the Ranthambore national park. Temperature is in single digits, during the day its around the
twenties.
twenties.

Posts: 73 | Location: Rajasthan, India | Registered: 23 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Oldsarge
posted Hide Post
I say, no trouble at all, sir! Pendleton wool, meet Indian mornings. Indian mornings, Pendleton. You're going to get along famously.

Sarge

Holland's .375: One Planet, One Rifle . . . for one hundred years!

Posts: 2690 | Location: Lakewood, CA. USA | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Lynx,
Holy Cow! I gotta see India.

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jbderunz
posted Hide Post
thanks

Absolutely wonderful. My wife is bitching cause I didn't make my mind about visiting India.
I think time has come.
Thanks.

Lynx and Mehulkamdar, more pics please

J B de Runz
Be careful when blindly following the masses ... generally the "m" is silent

Posts: 1727 | Location: France, Alsace, Saverne | Registered: 24 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jbderunz
posted Hide Post
NitroX

I cannot imagine Christmas in Your Summertime?
Who is the nearer of India, You or me?

J B de Runz
Be careful when blindly following the masses ... generally the "m" is silent

Posts: 1727 | Location: France, Alsace, Saverne | Registered: 24 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Super photos, interesting post. Thanks for doing so.

You can borrow money but you can not borrow time. Go hunting with your family.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Texas | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Friends,

You wouldn't find a crazier country to visit and I mean this in the most comlpimentary sense. There are high tech labs and companies side by side with villages where there is no electricity. And you would see traffic dodging cattle and pedestrians (who are sometimes more unruly than the cattle) on the roads as well.

It is a crazy experience. Big Grin

RIP,

As Rustam and Lynx pointed out, the boar hunts are open now to non Indians and hopefully the Nilgai would be in even bigger numbers for non Indian hunters. We'll definitely post the details here when the hunts open.

jbderunz,

You are closer to Rajasthan than NitroX - presuming that is the part of India that you want to visit. Some of the outer islands are very close to Indonesia and that would be closer to Australia, but the pics are from North Western India.

Please push Lynx for more pics especially old shikar ones. Cool I know that he ahs to get permission to post them here, but if we pusk him, he'll be able to take a print out of this and ask the owners for permission.

Good hunting!

Mehul Kamdar

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."-- Patrick Henry

Posts: 2717 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Photos by Derry Moore. For more b&w pics on India
www.derrymoore.com

lake, Udaipur, Rajasthan

Interior, Jodhpur, Rajasthan

Hunter, desert near Bikaner.

palace, murshidabad

temple elephant

Nawab's son, Hyderabad

Column, La Martiniere College, Lucknow

Veranda, Faluknuma Palace, Hyderabad

Elephant

Entrance Hall, Marble Palace, Calcutta

Posts: 73 | Location: Rajasthan, India | Registered: 23 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jbderunz:
NitroX

I cannot imagine Christmas in Your Summertime?
Who is the nearer of India, You or me?

We'll split the difference, and meet halfway, eh? Smiler

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lynx:
Photos by Derry Moore. For more b&w pics on India

Entrance Hall, Marble Palace, Calcutta

Fantastic photos.

Does anyone know of whom or what the statue is in this photo? Lovely.

(If no one knows I will try the photographer, his website doesn't say any more.)

John H.

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
NitroX,

The Marble Palace in Calcutta belongs to an old Jute trading family, the Mullicks. Some years ago there was a fear that parts of it would collapse and it prompted a frantic amount of work by the government as well as private bodies to try to conserve it. I have no idea what happened but since I haven't heard anything bad, they must have managed to make the neccessary structural repairs.

It is still a private property though the Mullicks still welcome visitors. If you go to India, you should visit them especially if you're in Calcutta. I'd like to go there sometime - the last I was there was in 1978 and I am sure the city has changed immensely since then.

Mehul Kamdar

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."-- Patrick Henry

posted Hide Post
Hi!

Have been reading this thread and a few of the others on this forum... Made interesting reading no doubt. I'd like to point all interested parties to the Indians4Guns eGroup at Indians4Guns

The posts there have some great info in the legalities of owning & importing guns into India . Non-members can read the postings as well as post (non-member posts are subject to moderation)...

Cheers!
Abhijeet

Posts: 4 | Location: India | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hello Abhijeet and welcome to AR.

Never seen that link before but it's just the sort of thing we need. Will definitely have a read later.

Regards.

Rustam

P.S.: How old is that site?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHB:
P.S.: How old is that site?

We started it in in October last year and have been adding a few members every month. Currently there are 48 members. Most of the discussions focus on the dismal state of gun rights in the country and the loopholes available to gun enthusiasts in India.

Look forward to seeing you guys on the group Smiler

Cheers!
Abhijeet

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Abhijeet:and the loopholes available to gun enthusiasts in India.

You just got yourself another member. Wink Big Grin

Rustam

one of us
posted Hide Post
Now that is what I call living well. I guess the time to Hunt India, would have been from about 1890 to just before World War II. Things change not aways for the better, I could get use to living in that palace.

Posts: 1070 | Location: East Haddam, CT | Registered: 16 July 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by George Semel:
Now that is what I call living well. I guess the time to Hunt India, would have been from about 1890 to just before World War II. Things change not aways for the better, I could get use to living in that palace.

Well, if you are referring to the fact that India has lost 2/3rd of its forest cover since independence and as a consequence much of its wildlife, then I would have to agree with your above observation.

However, if you are being nostalgic about the "Raj" and fuedal India, then things are certainly much much better now! Even though the fuedals & petty princely families lost much of their wealth post-independence, the living standard of the common man has certainly improved over the last 50 years. Admitedly not as much as it should have, but improved all the same.

The middle class, which was almost non-existent at the time of independence now in itself exceeds the population of several of the largest European nations.

I think what you would have liked was to have been back in India about 1890 and hunting along with the ruling elite... if you had been back here in 1890 as one of the commoners, you would not have enjoyed yourself very much - of that I can assure you!

Every coin has two sides to it...

Cheers!
Abhijeet

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHB:
You just got yourself another member. Wink Big Grin
Rustam

Excellent! Look forward to seeing you on the group then... Smiler

Cheers!
Abhijeet

one of us
posted Hide Post
A poaching article in The Times of India today. Mansoor Ali Khan Pataudi, former Indian cricket captain, got caught with a blackbuck that had been shot. As always there is confusion and I would suspect the wealthy and famous will get off and some poor shmuck will go to jail.

Another article talked about how poaching in Uttar Pradesh, Haryana, Punjab and the Himalayan foothills is common, and had he gotten caught in Uttar Pradesh nothing would have been said.

The article goes on to say that the state of Punjab "has recently made hunting of Neelgai and wild boar legal with several conditions and under a licence issued by district authorities".

Regarding poaching, there is some speculation that large farmhouses built around the edges of the Corbett National Park, Rajaji National Park and Binsar Sanctuary may be used for more than vacationing.

Posts: 13867 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Another article talked about how poaching in Uttar Pradesh, Haryana, Punjab and the Himalayan foothills is common, and had he gotten caught in Uttar Pradesh nothing would have been said.

The article goes on to say that the state of Punjab "has recently made hunting of Neelgai and wild boar legal with several conditions and under a licence issued by district authorities".

Hello Kensco, could you give me a link to this article or tell me what paper it feature in?

Thanks.

Rustam

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Excellent! Look forward to seeing you on the group then... Smiler

Thanks Abhijeet but I am having a problem with something called cookies. Will wait until my computer literate friend gets back from Oz.

Rustam

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hello Abhijeet,

I just signed on as a member. Good effort, guys, there are other members from India both here and on other forums. I shall try and get them to join you.

Best wishes,

Mehul Kamdar

one of us
posted Hide Post
RHB, The Times of India, Tuesday.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kensco:
RHB, The Times of India, Tuesday.

That's strange. The Bangalore edition did not have anything about Neelgai and boar hunting opening up in Punjab.

Thanks all the same.

Rustam

one of us
posted Hide Post
Rustam,

Punjab has permitted boar hunting on crop protection permits for as long as I can remember. Maybe they have included Nilgai in the list of crop predators as well?

Mehul Kamdar

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mehul,

Shooting boar on a crop protection permit is possible in quite a few states. However, what Kensco quoted, gave me the impression that they may have decided to open up boar shooting per se. On reflection, I think you are right though.

Rustam

one of us
posted Hide Post
The only other strange event associated with the poaching was that an animal activist (Naresh Kadiyan) "forcibly exhumed the body of the black buck and ran away with it".

The article in today's The Times of India was basically a repeat of the one yesterday.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kensco:
The only other strange event associated with the poaching was that an animal activist (Naresh Kadiyan) "forcibly exhumed the body of the black buck and ran away with it".

He took it to New Delhi as evidence. He's the head of the Haryana PFA chapter.

One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NitroX:
Lynx is very tempting with his photographs.

My plans to visit are becoming more definite. Even started talking about dates! Smiler

Maybe Christmas / New Years 2005 ????

What is the weather like then, I believe it is "Winter" and dry season?

Well my wife has been talking about going to China by herself seeing I am in the Territory hunting buffalo in August.

I am convincing her a couple weeks in India around December / January may cost the same and be more enjoyable than a 'package' tour. I would be along of course! Here's hoping. Wink

John H.

One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Abhijeet:

However, if you are being nostalgic about the "Raj" and fuedal India, then things are certainly much much better now! Even though the fuedals & petty princely families lost much of their wealth post-independence, the living standard of the common man has certainly improved over the last 50 years. Admitedly not as much as it should have, but improved all the same.

The middle class, which was almost non-existent at the time of independence now in itself exceeds the population of several of the largest European nations.

I think what you would have liked was to have been back in India about 1890 and hunting along with the ruling elite... if you had been back here in 1890 as one of the commoners, you would not have enjoyed yourself very much - of that I can assure you!

Every coin has two sides to it...

Cheers!
Abhijeet

Abhijeet

Very true. We always look at the past with rose coloured glasses and not whether we would actually be one of the priviledged ones or not. Often not.

John H.

one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
I like the the room with all the tiger rugs and mounts. I also like the picture posted by Lynx of the tent at night. Sure wish I could have had the experience of hunting tiger and camping in one of those.

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote