New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Rediscovered Country
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I just finished reading The Rediscovered Country by Stewart Edward White (Doubleday, 1925, on Kindle for $1.99). It is the chronicle of White's (1873-1946) exploration safari with R.J. Cunninghame in 1913 to the northwest corner of the then German East Africa. They set off with 50 porters, go through about 40 donkeys (most of which die from Nagana) and cover amazing distances on foot in virgin territory. White, like TR, mostly used a sporterized Springfield .30-06, a .405 Winchester and a H&H .465 NE. His tales of shooting game at long range with open sights are fascinating, although I question his accuracy in citing the ranges game is shot at. The best part of the book is at the end. After the safari he takes a short trip to Mt Kenya to hunt elephant. It is one of the best elephant hunts I have ever read.
White's writing is very good. He gives the game shot, miles covered and morning, noon and evening temperatures. It is very readable and a great bargain at $1.99. A long glimpse at the kind of safari we can have only in our dreams.

USMC Retired
DSC Life Member
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 730 | Location: Maryland Eastern Shore | Registered: 27 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks drongo.

Posts: 1815 | Location: Sinton, Texas | Registered: 08 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a good read.. Thanks

Posts: 11636 | Location: Wisconsin  | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote