Notify
Tools

First time safari for teenagers
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of LittleJoe
posted
Looking for options.

I just returned from my third safari. I cannot go back without taking my son.

Wanting 10 hunting days for PG in July or August 2019.

There are at least four adults and their boys who will be 16-18 at that time. Possibly a fifth hunter and son.

I have a couple of outfitters under consideration right now but want to leave no stone unturned.

I am looking for something reasonably priced since we all know the boys will shoot and shoot and we will let them. Who knows where life will take them when they graduate not to long after. I have no doubt the dad's will each want to shoot a few trophies as well.

The place we stay without question must have great internet service. I know people go to get away. I don't have that option and have to check in with my clients each day if needed.

Wouldn't mind hunting two camps so the boys can see something different.

This post is in no way meant to be disrespectful to those I have already talked too as they are on AR. Just wanting to make sure we are 100% sure of our decision. I cannot be wrong, I have 6-8 others counting on me to make the right decision.

In the past the places I have gone have not been solely based on cost but a huge factor on this trip will be price. The boys want to shoot. They don't know the difference between big or small on Africa species. Of course the dad's don't want anything small but want good representatives or larger.

Also, one of the hunters is a bow hunter and would prefer to bowhunt this trip.

Posts: 1355 | Registered: 04 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would see what Charl, who posts here as Infinito, could put together for you.

"If you’re innocent why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?”- Donald Trump

Posts: 10407 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 09 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's a lot of PH help, unless you hunt in groups.

Posts: 20160 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Paw print safaris who I work with is who I would say to look in to. I know of no one who gives you more for the money in the northwest and Limpopo area in SA. I think it would be about perfect for what you ask for. Plenty of good animals for the kids but also great quality for the adults. We do also have bow hunting also. If I can help let me know and I will getting some pricing for you and pictures if you like.

Posts: 576 | Location: macungie , Pa | Registered: 21 March 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
That's a lot of PH help, unless you hunt in groups.

Part of the reason I recommended checking with Charl, I'll bet he can pull together 5 good ones.

"If you’re innocent why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?”- Donald Trump

Posts: 10407 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 09 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LittleJoe
posted Hide Post
I know Charl and Erika. Great people. Great operation.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mokore Safaris, the boys will know they are in Africa when the lions are roaring all night!! You will see Elephant, Rhino, Buffalo, Wild Dogs, Hippo, Crocs, etc while having a excellent plains game hunt in beautiful country.

Posts: 1018 | Location: Imperial, NE | Registered: 05 January 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wesheltonj
posted Hide Post
If they want to shoot and shoot, might I suggest a cull hunt. The place I hunted at last year had oner after I left and they culled over 300 animals.

Posts: 769 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 13 April 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tholo which you know well.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Bubye Valley Conservancy...for same reasons mentioned about Mokore in the Save.

Let Nigel Theisen of Safari 5 Africa arrange the hunt and organize the extra PHs.

Safari 5 Africa

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37795 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
OK well let's start from the price perspective. There are two considerations: the cost of the hunt itself, and the cost surrounding the hunt. And they are not independent.

Travel expenses are about one third of the cost of a plains game hunt. Knowing this, you will want to hunt in South Africa (direct) or possibly Namibia (via Europe). Any other destination is going to involve connecting flights and more money. Fly into Cape Town or Johannesburg and drive from there. (Windhoek if flying via Europe to Namibia but beware, it's trickier that way if traveling with firearms).

You will want to pick a flight that gets in early-ish and drive the same day. That saves a hotel night and the associated logistics.

As for timing, you will want to hunt the "shoulder season" ie early or late. The airfares will be quite a bit lower. Sept 15 on is a good time to hunt.

Final point, if you are traveling with a group of 10 or more, you can often nego a group rate directly with the airline.

As for the hunt, if you want a lot of meat for the money, so to speak, you need a "cull" hunt not a trophy hunt. Unfortunately most of SA is coming out of a major drought and the culling has been done, either by man or by mother nature. So you will struggle a bit to find a cull hunt. If there is any culling to be done, it's generally done later in the year so again after Sept 15.

I am sure you will get lots of proposals from RSA operators. There are thousands of them. Bear in mind, with such a large group, that you will need to hunt a larger property, or split into two groups and hunt two different areas, perhaps swapping out half way through.

I'll leave it to the operators to bombard you at this point. Although I will make inquiries to see if there is a hunt available for 2019 along these lines. That's a long way off btw, and most operators are going to quote a rack rate this far in advance.

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2932 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
If you go to Namibia you can fly SAA NY to Jburg then to Winhoak direct with no overnight.And NO problems with firearms. Namibia is mostly free range and would be my choice over S.A. Also Namibia has Hartman Mountain Zebra!!!

Posts: 2694 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
And at the risk of being arrogant, I am going to make one more comment: I am not sure a true cull hunt gets a teenager off on the right foot. Many of these involve shooting from the truck, often at night with a light. There is a lot to be said for a fair chase hunt on foot, with fewer carcasses but a better education and, in my opinion, better memories. Culling is an ugly business and it's not a sporting thing at all.

So perhaps the right term to use is a "non-trophy" hunt. Let each kid shoot a duiker, an impala, a warthog, a blesbuck, and a blue wildebeest. That should not cost an arm and a leg and will provide a variety of experiences and sizes of animal.

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2932 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:

Let Nigel Theisen of Safari 5 Africa arrange the hunt and organize the extra PHs.

Safari 5 Africa

Nice website set up by Nigel.

Like the statement of ethics, maps/location and a photo gallery of more than just pictures with dead animals.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
Stephen, our PH at Tholo, was excellent with my teenage son.

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3108 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E:
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:

Safari 5 Africa

Nice website set up by Nigel.

Like the statement of ethics, maps/location and a photo gallery of more than just pictures with dead animals.

Mike

I will relay the message personally in exactly 8 days.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37795 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
I'd personally suggest one of the Zimbabwe conservancies (Save or Bubye) or Mike Murray's place in South Africa.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2989 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Took both my teenage sons and wife to ARU in Namibia a couple years back. For their first trip to Africa I couldn't have been happier about the experience. ARU runs a proper show, first class in every respect, food, accommodations, staff, equipment. They have two different camps with two different types of country they hunt. Couldn't recommend them enough. My youngest, 14, will be coming with me to Mozambique this October for his first buffalo hunt.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tholo in Botswana with the Eaton's. Off the scale super.

Taking my grandson when he is 10....

Posts: 10362 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Tholo. Took my 15 year old younger son there and another couple of hunters and had a great time. They do have internet connection but I always had to go over to the office to be able to get a decent connection. That being said it was easy to stay in touch.

Took the older boy to Namibia when he was 15 and also had a great time there in one of the conservancies. Truly wild hunting but no internet to speak of.

Feel free to PM if you have any specific questions.

One thing I would advise with internet and teenagers is let them know that they don't get to use it (Understand fully that you may need to stay in contact with clients).

One of the many problems in today's world (In my opinion for whatever that is worth), is everyone feeling the need to communicate via the web on a daily, hourly, minutely basis. At the end of the day the kids' friends will still be there and probably more interested to hear about the adventure in person.

Hope you have a great trip.

Posts: 344 | Location: Reno, Nevada | Registered: 05 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check out Madubula Safaris. They have a lot of options.

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm taking my son, who will be 14, to Tholo next year. 4 other Africa first-timers will be joining us.
The availability for "cull" animals is VERY attractive.
One comment above about shooting from the truck: I always tell the PH I would rather EARN a good representative trophy, than shoot the new world record from the truck. This would apply to cull animals as well. I want my kids to have a great memory of wild country and proper hunting... On foot!

Posts: 447 | Location: CA.  | Registered: 26 October 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Russ Gould:
And at the risk of being arrogant, I am going to make one more comment: I am not sure a true cull hunt gets a teenager off on the right foot. Many of these involve shooting from the truck, often at night with a light. There is a lot to be said for a fair chase hunt on foot, with fewer carcasses but a better education and, in my opinion, better memories. Culling is an ugly business and it's not a sporting thing at all.

So perhaps the right term to use is a "non-trophy" hunt. Let each kid shoot a duiker, an impala, a warthog, a blesbuck, and a blue wildebeest. That should not cost an arm and a leg and will provide a variety of experiences and sizes of animal.

I have to agree with Russ I'm not sure what if anything they will learn if they just simply shoot heaps of animals, I think if they targeted a few animals which they really want by doing a bit of prior research and then concentrate on getting good representative trophies by working hard they will learn a lot more and I think have a greater experience.

Posts: 174 | Location: Cumbria | Registered: 30 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hunted Nuanetsi with Lin Stanton (Mbalabala Safaris) last SEP and I saw more varieties of plains game in one day than I did on my two previous safaris (RSA and Zim).

BH63

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LittleJoe
posted Hide Post
I appreciate the comments people have made as well as several PM's so thank you. Lots of options to consider.

I won't let my son shoot from the truck unless a jackal or baboon. Rest is spot and stalk even if a cull.