Find
Notify
Tools

Strange trophy pic.....
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Bwanna
posted Hide Post
I was hunting RSA with a guide in 2003 and he took me by his skinning shed and said, "I need to show you something." He then fished around in the salt and flipped over the prettiest big tiger cape one could imagine. He proceeded to show me a set of 33" waterbuck horns, a 62" kudu and a bunch of other trophies that don't occur naturally non-canned hunting. I was not impressed. He said the Dutch guy that shot the trophies had paid him a fortune, and I believe it.

Posts: 1667 | Location: Las Vegas, Nevada | Registered: 12 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
if thats photoshop, the guy is ion the wrong business. there isn't a 'tell' anywhere on the pic.

One of Us
Picture of ChetNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mauser93:
Guys, calm down. Everything's gonna' be OK, I promise.

One word: PHOTOSHOP.

No, I'm pretty certain that picture of Dee Snyder is real. Big Grin

Posts: 348 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 03 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Pennsyltucky
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry Chet but WE"RE NOT GONNA TAKE THIS!!!!

Posts: 93 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: 14 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Milo Shanghai
posted Hide Post
That photograph shows no signs of having been "shopped". Looks like the straight poop.

Posts: 680 | Location: London | Registered: 03 September 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Interesting that canned tiger is so offensive, but canned NZ stags, canned/bakkie hunts etc are all OK as long as legal. diggin

Probably no different to hunting a white rhino bred on a farm, and able to be hunted providing it provides $$$ for the farm and its conservation efforts.

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
IMO, tigers should be farmed and shot - notice I did not say hunted.
Imagine the fees collected, just as stated above, that could go toward preservation of both man and beast.
Also, is an SA lion shoot any less "canned" than an SA tiger shoot? Nope.
As for the picture, when folks are positioned behind the quarry it always exaggerates the size of the animal - just look at the cape buffalo at the top of this forum...
And, unfortunately, the picture of Dee is not photoshopped...

Posts: 3312 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
None of this is fair chase. It's a shame.

If you go to their website, you see a few more photos that you will find disappointing:

I assume, from their lion breeding area:

I assume, from their croc farm:

One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
Here is a pic just before they went up on the cameroon pygmy goat hunt.

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Milo Shanghai:
quote:
Originally posted by Peter:
Strange. I though the moral standard here was "If it's not illegal it's OK by me".
Peter

Exactly. That argument has always been a total cop out crock of shit, even though some of the biggest names on AR keep wheeling it out.

I also have a problem with if it is legal it's all right mentality.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9956 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Looks fine by me. First class air charter, a Tiger, Lioness and a couple of crocs. What a safari.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9956 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
505 Gibbs asked, "Explain." Pretty reasonable request.

Photoshop software is extremely sophisticated, versatile, and if one is patient easy to use.
1. Locate photo of "hunters." If not digital already, digitize.
2. Locate photo of Tiger. If not digital already, digitize.
3. Put both onscreen in a Photoshop "box." Merge to suit.

If one is patient, there will be no "tell."

Truth is, maybe I just want it to be Photoshopped, instead of real.

Posts: 490 | Location: middle tennessee | Registered: 11 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
I seem to remember that at one point in time or another it was "legal and ok" for young childern to work 40+ hours in dangerous factory jobs. Perhaps it was a good thing that everyone didn't agree to the "if it's legal it's ok by me" phylosophy. Just a thought.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:

Truth is, maybe I just want it to be Photoshopped, instead of real.

I think you nailed it there. And I don't blame you.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 505 gibbs:

So the hunter on the right, did he kill the cat with the bow? Or did he just sit on it?

One of Us
Picture of Pennsyltucky
posted Hide Post
that septic trench is outstanding for photos.

Posts: 93 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: 14 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Maybe someone from South Africa could educate us, but I don't think "shooting" (definitely not "hunting") a canned tiger is legal in South Africa. I thought they fixed that some time back. If it actually is legal, then I withdraw my rant about "our only distinction should be between legal and illegal." Obviously we need tighter personal rules, because the law cannot be trusted.

Posts: 265 | Location: central california | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Guys, calm down. Everything's gonna' be OK, I promise.

One word: PHOTOSHOP.

And just like that, 2thdoc's hopes are dashed to a thousand pieces. Pity! A tiger like that one would have looked great in his waiting room, along with his lion. wave

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by craig boddington:
Obviously we need tighter personal rules, because the law cannot be trusted.

Indeed. The law is the most lenient of guides to life and living it.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13633 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
I thought tigers were proteced internationally through some treaty?

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
The laws will differ from province to province but in most at least, I think you'll find it's illegal and has been for some years...... However, I've seen that pic before and seem to remember it's at least several years old.

FWIW, tigers are rated as no commercial trade etc.

This kind of BS has gone on forever in Africa and I remember some plonker offering the same thing to me at least 20 years ago...... I told him to depart in a flurry of sexual endeavour..... or something like that! rotflmo

dodgy deals have always been about in Africa and even in the 50s and 60s or so, Alexander Lake was writing about places that had mounted trophies and artistic African backgrounds etc that clients would pay to pose with to have their pictures taken. rotflmo

He says they were very popular indeed! jumping

One of Us
Picture of Bouna Safaris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJ75:
quote:

So the hunter on the right, did he kill the cat with the bow? Or did he just sit on it?

I am not linked to this however to make comments like that is unwarranted... I have met the hunter before and he needs to walk around with an oxygen cylinder, all day every day. Not his fault, had a bad spell of malaria and transfered into Black Fever and affected his lungs, lungs cannot process what we breath as oxygen hence the need for oxygen. And as we know, the constant use of "compressed oxygen" changes your body. Go take a look in an ICU ward where people are on oxygen for a prolonged period.

Comment on the facts not the person.

BOUMA SAFARIS
+27827084169
+27125467179
versterm@telkomsa.net

One of Us
Picture of Hunting For Adventure
posted Hide Post
I can't see the tiger pic. Has it been removed?

Posts: 1161 | Location: Kansas City, Missouri | Registered: 03 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
I believe it has been.

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3109 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of donner
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJ75:
quote:

Is it me or is that cat small or the 2 hunters in front big!!? Wink

Rauma Hunting and Fishing Safaris
www.rauma-jakt-fiskesafari.no

Posts: 619 | Location: åndalsnes Norway | Registered: 05 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andrew McLaren
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by craig boddington:
Maybe someone from South Africa could educate us, but I don't think "shooting" (definitely not "hunting") a canned tiger is legal in South Africa. I thought they fixed that some time back. If it actually is legal, then I withdraw my rant about "our only distinction should be between legal and illegal." Obviously we need tighter personal rules, because the law cannot be trusted.

Craig,

Here in a nutshell the things that a Hunting Outfitter needs to do to offer a client a perfectly legal and exportable tiger hunt in the Free State Province of South Africa.

(1) Get the written permission from the owner of a tiger breeding farm to "hunt" a tiger. [What the legal requirements to legally breed and offer to have shot tigers are, I have only a very rough idea of and will not discuss that here, other than to say it can be legal.]
(2) Offer the client a hunt contract [or in South Africa's Nature Conservation Regulations called a "Remuneration Agreement" and get both copies signed by the hunting outfitter and the client.
(3) Let the PH - any permitted PH who does not even have the restriction to guide on Dangerous Game lifted on his permit - and the client to go shoot the tiger.
(4) PH fills in his PH register stating on which date, and other details the tiger was shot. Client signs the PH Register. The pink copy is sent to Nature Conservation, blue goes to the taxidermist with the field prepared trophy and white goes with the client.
(5) HO sends everything to the taxidermist.
(6) Taxidermist applies for an export license from Nature Conservation and attaches the blue copy of the PH register.
(7) If Nature Conservation has received the pink copy from the PH an export permit is issued. No further questions or paperwork.

Simple!

Note that this very simple procedure is because a tiger is an exotic animal in South Africa. If it were a leopard, there is quite a bit more involved.

In good hunting and tiger shooting. Wink

Andrew McLaren

Andrew McLaren
Professional Hunter and Hunting Outfitter since 1974.

http://www.mclarensafaris.com The home page to go to for custom planning of ethical and affordable hunting of plains game in South Africa!
Enquire about any South African hunting directly from andrew@mclarensafaris.com

After a few years of participation on forums, I have learned that:

One can cure:

Lack of knowledge – by instruction. Lack of skills – by practice. Lack of experience – by time doing it.

One cannot cure:

Stupidity – nothing helps! Anti hunting sentiments – nothing helps! Put-‘n-Take Outfitters – money rules!

My very long ago ancestors needed and loved to eat meat. Today I still hunt!

Posts: 1799 | Location: Soutpan, Free State, South Africa | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote