New
Find
Notify
Tools

Namibia Trophy List
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm off to the Gras Ranch in Namibia come March. Actual hunting day are 8or9. So far on my list, in order of priority, are kudu, gemsbok, blue and black wildebeest and one of the zebras. I hope to return to Namibia within a year or two of this first hunt so is it more important to hunt fewer animals with the strategy of collecting bigger trophies?

Bobby B.

Posts: 323 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bobby
Just an opinion, but if I were you I would go there without a bunch of numbers in your head. Go to explore Africa and experience the wildlife. Remember you are going hunting, not collecting trophies and I fear that you may only rob yourself of the best part of the enjoyment by focusing on only the best trophies. In your position I would go and hunt to take quality representative specimens which should be possible on any good hunting concession, if the opportunity to hunt something special comes up then it will be the cherry on top as opposed to being your minimum standard.
Spend each day in the veld and come home tired and covered in sweat and dust, having hunted for all you are worth and soaked up as much of Africa as you possibly can. I guarantee you that it will not be the extra two inches on your Gemsbok or the last curl on your Kudu that brings that lasting smile to your face, no it will be the memory of the days spent in the field, the good clean living and getting back to your roots, as a hunter.
Good luck to you and I hope it goes well.
Kind regards
Ian

Posts: 423 | Location: Natal - South Africa | Registered: 23 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
Ian offers some excellent advice and I encourage you to heed it.

With that said, don't overlook sringbok (neat little critters, and I understand the Gras if covered up with them) and red hartebeest if available (they're so ugly they're cool looking).

As for zebra, I shot a mountain zebra and was very pleased. My only regret is that I didn't get two so I could have a pedestal shoulder mount too. With their orange noses and scarred up faces (stallions), they make great trophies that way, though I can't complain about the beautiful rug hanging on my bedroom wall.

Posts: 3301 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Desert Ram is spot on
Springbok leg roast with some sheep fat to seal in the moisture is one of my favorite things on this planet. The flavor is one of the most distinctive you will ever taste, I strongly suggest you try eating everything you hunt, not the whole animal of course, but it adds so much to those evenings around the fire when you know that the flavor in your mouth is a direct result of your prowess as a hunter.

Posts: 423 | Location: Natal - South Africa | Registered: 23 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As a Trophy whitetail hunter, and Alberta has some big ones, I initially wanted BIG PG torphies. Then I wanted to just soak up the experience, then I wanted BIG trophies again. Then I thought I could do both. I suppose that's what a nube does.

As for the meals, I very much want to sample as much of the local cuisine as possible. Give me African dishes, I can have all the North American meals I want here at home. My PH joked that he would feed us only our first meal, after that we better bring back something for our supper.

Bobby B.

Posts: 323 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TheBigGuy
posted Hide Post
You will always regret the shots you shouldn't have taken more than the ones you didn't.

Go have fun. Pursuing the very biggest often becomes work and IMO you miss out on some of the fun. I understand focused goals and pursuits but don't let this make you miserable.

Take what Africa gives you as a gift from God.

Posts: 1282 | Registered: 17 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bobby,
Ian offers the best advice ever to first time African hunters. I recommend that you go there with preferences but an open menu and some extra cash for unforeseen additional trophy fees.

The situation, while there, may present you with an incredible oppurtunity to take an exceptional species that you may not have thought about beforehand, like a leopard.

Geoff

Shooter

Posts: 622 | Location: Mossyrock, WA | Registered: 25 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I would second much of what has been said above, especially Desert Ram's advice on mountain zebra and springbok.

They are indigenous to Namibia and the mountain zebra can't be hunted anywhere else that I'm aware of.

I would just add that, as a hunter, I'm always happy with an old representative male, regardless of the species I am hunting.

Trophy size is often confused with trophy quality, but they are not the same thing in my book.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13623 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bobby,

The Gras has a good reputation and I think you 'll be well taken care of and get some good tropies also. For me priority Namibian animals are Hartemann's zebra that are quite different from other zebra, springbok, red hartebeest and oryx. Most important though is to talk over your wants with your PH and just let the safari unfold as it will from that point onward. A good PH will not let you shoot immature animals and poor trophies. Relax and have fun. If an issue does come up talk about it right then with the PH. Many a safari has been ruined by a client grinding on an issue that could have easily been handled when it arose.

Good hunting,

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll echo other poster's thoughts - Hartmann's Zebra, Springbok, Gemsbok, Red Hartebeest, and Kudu.

I would add Black-faced Impala and Damara Dik-Dik to this list as well. Namibia is the only place you may legally hunt these species too.(Yeah, yeah - I already know that the Black-faced Impala is not an importable species to the U.S. To me, this doesn't detract from its appeal as a trophy.)

Posts: 355 | Location: CO | Registered: 19 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jds
posted Hide Post
I hunted the Gras in 2002 and can tell you that you are in for a treat! You'll see springbok, springbok, and MORE springbok!!

You should have no problems finding kudu, gemsbok, mountain zebra, and hartebeest. They aslo have some HUGE blue wildebeest!

Janni (the owner) and Anri (his wife) are very Christian people who will bend over backward to show you the best experience they can.

Take the time to experience the little things . . . the huge bird nests in the trees, the 4x4 beetles, the Jack Russell Terrier who will claim every animal you take, and the wonderful sunsets.

You'll do fine at the Gras!

Good luck!

JDS

And so if you meet a hunter who has been to Africa, and he tells you what he has seen and done, watch his eyes as he talks. For they will not see you. They will see sunrises and sunsets such as you cannot imagine, and a land and a way of life that is fast vanishing. And always he will will tell you how he plans to go back. (author: David Petzer)

Posts: 655 | Location: Burleson, Texas | Registered: 04 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For me... in this order of importance...
Kudu
Gemsbok
Eland
Hartman's Zebra
Springbok in the Kalahari
Red Hartebeast
Leopard
Damara Dik-Dik
Stienbok
Black-faced Impala
Brindled gnu
White-tailed gnu

Posts: 581 | Location: Cheney, KS or Africa Somewhere | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would go, soak up the experience and gratefully accept the trophies that the Gods of the hunt send your way.

TerryR

Posts: 1903 | Location: Greensburg, Pa. | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of aholz
posted Hide Post
Bobby, I will be hunting in Graas in May 2009 (18-25) with my son, so leave some animals to hunt for me, please Wink First time I hunted PG in RSA in 2007. I had an "open menu" and I've took 15 nice trophies (3 were R&W qualified)Next year I have an open list as well with a kudu as a priority - I did not have a chance to take one last time. My advise: just set you trophy fee budget and hunt and enjoy. And pray to hold the strength to keep yourself within that budget rotflmo Good luck