THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    What caliber for a first African / elephant safari?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What caliber for a first African / elephant safari?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would opt for the .416 for a first African/Elephant hunt as it comprises a bit more of everything to the .375 and can later still be used for hunting lesser game.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would agree with fujotupu post. The .416 is perfect for ele and everything else.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you want to have a try with my 458 Naki, give me a call, it`s sweet to shoot, fits well, well it fits me well, and I would use it on anything on this planet and have 100 % faith in it.Can`t remember what weight ,but I find it not a problem to carry/use.
It`s only a Heym, but if you want a try, you know how to get hold of me.

Posts: 203 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Pieter Kriel
posted Hide Post
quote:
It's very easy to vote .375 when you have never stalked Ele or have chosen to shoot Ele at 25+ yards.

I voted .458Lott. Would have seriously considered the .416 for the first timer had it been an option.

You have done this before LionHunter.

I love mine a Lott because it works.

Mkulu African Hunting Safaris
www.huntinginafricasafaris.com
hunt@huntinginafricasafaris.com

Posts: 210 | Location: Pretoria | Registered: 08 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used a 458 Lott.....with elephant all around I was glad to have it.

Posts: 31 | Location: Spartanburg SC | Registered: 10 February 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
I have done it! dancing

I went to the gunshop today & looked at 2 great rifles.

The 404 Jeffery was custom project rifle on a 1950 FN action with a gorgeous piece of NZ English walnut. It had a really nice ghost ring peep sight and a nice gold / brass bead foresight (NECG?). The action was silky smooth and it handled and pointed like it was made for me. very steady on the point - off hand. A bit heavy for me & the stock still needs checkering. Also needs to be drilled & tapped if i wanted to mount a scope. It comes will all reloading bits and developed loads. Also has lead cast bullets. Awesome rilfe.

The second rifle was a 416 Rigby (I know it is not on the original poll!) CZ 550 mag Kevlar. Again fits me perfectly with same LOP & a thicker recopil pad. Lighter & feels better for a bush carry at 9 lb 1 oz. Fits me well too. The things I am not happy with are the foresight bead which needs to be changed & the bolt is sticky and needs to be lapped. The pistol grip in not a perfect fit but works!

After a lot of thought and vacilating I have decided to go for the 416 Rigby CZ as it is a lighter rifle & easier to carry in the field. I will have to buy all the other bits & develop loads - but that is part of the adventure!

Cost wise the two packages will end up about the same.

My heart still skips at the thought of that great walnut stock and rust blue on the Mauser!

May be I'l get lucky with some money & buy that too! Wink

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11210 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Go the 404J

Good hunting, Chris

DRSS

Posts: 1971 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rockdoc:
Go the 404J, enjoy the 416 and have fun Smiler

Good hunting, Chris

DRSS

Posts: 1971 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I voted .450/400 or .404 mainly because I took that as being a 400 grain bullet at a reasonable (not Lazzaroni) velocity. Personally, I'd opt for one of the .416's; I'm partial to the Remington, but that's just a personal choice. Still versatile enough for plains game and even some long shots. Great on buffalo. Haven't tried it on elephant yet; hopefully this year.

Posts: 10319 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Robinson:
This is like advising an elderly aunt on which car to buy.

The answer is a Honda Accord, but you would never catch me driving one.

Honda Accord---- that would be the 375?

Posts: 5713 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Please see my request for cases, neck & trim dies & projectile on "classified".

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you've found two great rifles. Doesn't seem like you could go wrong.

Posts: 10319 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Speaking strictly from a caliber perspective, the .416 is an extremely effective all around caliber.

I voted for the .404, because it was as close to what I think to be the best cartridge for the game mentioned. The 404 is a great round too, can be placed in the same class as the 416.

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jsl3170:
i'd like to see a pic of judgeg's rifle with the barrel level. the pics make it look like there is an awful amount of drop in that stock.

when you receive it at home judge please post up some pics for us.

There is a lot of drop in the stock, simply because Ernest is a fairly large man and it is a long way from the pit of his shoulder, to his eye level. That is called "FITTING"!

That rifle made for you or I, might have a much straighter stock!

........................................................................ old

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
AR is an awesome place for this very reason. Thanks to all you guys for the great help and feedback!

JudgeG's comments were taken on board. I had left out some background info earlier.

1. I own a Simson Oberndorf 9.3X62 Octogon to round barrel scoped - which I shoot very well. With 286 gr bullets @2450, I can group off hand at 50 meters - 5 shots into 4 inches - rapid fire as fast as I can. Hence my conclusion that I already have something very close to a 375H&H

2. While I am not very experienced with big bore & am no expert, I did get an opportunity to shoot a whole pile of big bores & Doubles with Sam a few years ago. I even shot Corbin's 600NE Jeffery full 900gr loads. I was surprised how well I handled a Webley 450/400 of Sam's - the clay target at 25 yards became orange dust. I keep telling Sam that it is now "my rifle" . Like Harry Porter's wand chooses the wizard, here the rifle chose me!! But Sam won't listen! Confused

3. The only rifle to boot me around badly was a Chapuis 470NE that did not fit me. Big lump on my cheek for a few weeks and my head buzzed for 2 days!

Now that I am getting the 416 Rigby - the latest is that I managed to find here in NZ 90 rounds of custom ammo loaded in new Norma brass. The real beauty is that this cost me less than new Norma brass! The Hornady 400 gr bullets will be good for practice.

I have also managed to buy NECG foresight, ghost ring sight & Warne QD rings from Brownells and they will ship to NZ.

I can readily get Barnes TSX 350 & 400 grs. IMR 4350 & other good powders are available.

All set to go now.

Please see Gunsmith forum re slicking up the CZ action etc. I would really appreciate all the help.

Thanks once agian guys!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Naki,

I think you have made a great decision. The 416 Rigby works great with the 400 gr bullet around 2400 FPS but if you want it has the case capacity to drive a 350 gr bullet at 2800 FPS and that is a whole lot of thump way out there.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gents,
At nearly 64, I just can't see the irons like I could shooting silhouette matches 25 years ago. I put a Trijicon RMR on my .470 double months before the esteemed Mr. Carter's endorsements of them on TAA. It does require me to lift my head slightly to see the red dot, but not as much as a scope would, and the shot goes wherever the dot is, regardless of how I'm holding the rifle--an important advantage if a shot has to be made quickly. I shot my ele last year in deep shade and heavy cover, and the dot showed up like a laser beam!
Cheers,
Tim

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Yes, I have the rifle now. dancing
Thanks to everyone for the helpful comments & encouragement.

Please see below thread on Big bore forum for photos etc.

http://forums.accuratereloadin...801038581#1801038581