Find
Notify
Tools

Recovered Bullets
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted
Left is a .375 H&H 250 grain Trophy Bonded Bear Claw, Federal Premium from Blue Wildebeest
Middle is .375 H&H 270 grain Federal Soft Point (non-premium) from Gemsbuck
Right is the .270 from Kenny's put down on my father's zebra, no idea about specs, but it tumbled.

For more info, please see my post in Hunting Reports "Eastern Cape and Limpopo"

Also, the guys down in SA thought 300 grain was best all around (at least in Limpopo). What do you think?

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3453 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
All the bullets look suitable to me..The .270 apparantly hit something, probably the spine, but at any rate met with some stiff resistence but it held together..I have seen the same results the .270 shows in about all calibers..

I prefer the 300 gr. bullets in the 375 hands down, that is all I shoot in mine for everything unless I'm hunting buffalo or Lion and then I like the GS Custom flat nose solid (I can't recall the weight but is a little less than 300)and the 350 gr. Woodleigh PPs on buff and the RN for Lion...This does not mean that the 300 gr. isn't good for everything, it just means that I personally prefer the 350 gr. for these specific animals.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42156 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andy
posted Hide Post
DCS,

Do you know if your 250 grain TBBC was the original TBBC or the new TB by Speer?

the Speer is made out of gilding metal and is a lot more shiney than the original TBBC.

Dont know if Speer changed packaging when they purchased Federal.

Andy

Posts: 1278 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 16 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
I prefer the 300 gr. bullets in the 375 hands down, that is all I shoot in mine for everything unless I'm hunting buffalo or Lion and then I like the GS Custom flat nose solid (I can't recall the weight but is a little less than 300)and the 350 gr. Woodleigh PPs on buff and the RN for Lion...This does not mean that the 300 gr. isn't good for everything, it just means that I personally prefer the 350 gr. for these specific animals.

Ditto Ray,
If your going to Africa with a 375 the 300 grain bullet would be the lightest bullet I would use, I agree with the guys from Africa you hunted with. If I was stuck with using a 250 grain bullet with a 375 I would be better off using a 338 with a 250 grain bullet, much better sectional density thus better penetration.

Dirk

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andy
posted Hide Post
quote:
much better sectional density thus better penetration.

That is true of a solid only.

A controlled expansion bullet like the TBBC, Swift or NF, has largely similar expansion for a given bullet weight.

Not any measurable difference between a 400 grain 416 swift and a 400 grain .458 Swift, NF or TBBC.

(About .78-80 caliber each).

The 250 grain .375 in TBBC or NF is an excellent bullet.

I know hunters who have killed cape buffalo with a 250 grain Bitterroot at 2,950 fps, no problem.

Andy

Posts: 1278 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 16 January 2004Reply With Quote