THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Gun permit to travel through Johannesburg?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gun permit to travel through Johannesburg?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'll be making my first African hunt in a couple of months. I'm flying to Windhoek, Namibia via Johannesburg. All travel will be on South African Airlines, and I understand that I will never see my luggage--I land in Johannesburg in the morning, and take of for Windhoek on the afternoon of the same day, so the luggage will remain in the hands of the airline.

My travel agent, who is very experienced in dealing with hunters traveling to Africa, told me that I don't need to worry about a South African firearms permit, as I will never be in possession or control of my rifles while in South Africa. However, I've spoken with some locals who have flown to other African countries via Johannesburg, and they are cautioning me to get a permit.

I also note that my PH's website talks about a South African law that prevents direct shipping of firearms to their ultimate destination, which is a little cryptic, but is causing me concern.

As a first-time African hunter, I spend a lot of time worrying about what might go wrong. I'd appreciate any advice that anyone who has actually been there and has real-world experience can tell me.

Thanks.

Posts: 178 | Location: New York | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Safari James
posted Hide Post
Call Shawn Kennedy at Gracey Travel (210.698.2611). They are THE experts and will assist you promptly.

Safari James
USMC
DRSS

Posts: 369 | Location: Texas | Registered: 16 August 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
+1 on calling Shawn

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Don't listen to your travel agent.
He is obviously out of date with his assumptions.

Listen to those who have travelled through J'berg, and enjoy your trip without the hassle of red tape.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68685 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
+3 on calling Shawn. tu2

One of Us
Picture of kudu4u
posted Hide Post
whiteeagle....Think of this happening by chance...that you do not catch the flight to Namibia for whatever reason and you have to overnight in JNB (either that or on return). You do not want to have to overnight there with no gun permit from SAPS. I would get the permit.

"In these days of mouth-foaming Disneyism......"--- Capstick
Don't blame the hunters for what the poachers do!---me

Benefactor Member NRA

Posts: 477 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 13 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for you replies

one of us
posted Hide Post
+4 on Shawn of Gracey Travel.

BTW: Shawn booked me on a connecting flight out of J-berg to Harare. No RSA permit. But SAA cancelled the flight with less than 1 day to go. Shawn rerouted me on Delta to stagy overnight in J'berg. You need a permit to do that.

Indy

Life is short. Hunt hard.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Indy--

I think that is probably the real-world situation that I need to worry about. You spelled it out precisely. I don't need the RSA permit if everything goes right, but that "if" makes getting a permit advisable.

Thanks.