Find
Notify
Tools

Malarone, Revisited
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Russell E. Taylor
posted
I just wanted to add a follow-up to my situation with getting Malarone. I went to a local place that can get drugs from Canada -- it was going to be a chunk, though cheaper than the U.S. places I'd researched online. The guy suggested K-Mart -- said they get drugs pretty cheap.

Well, what the heck, I got to wondering if Blue Cross would pick up any of the tab.

To make a long story short... I just filled my prescription for Malarone (and two other things I normally take) and the total for all THREE items (the Malarone being the priciest of the lot) came to $39 and change!

Blue Cross/Blue Shield picked up a CHUNK of the cost!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was floored.

Folks, I had no idea, all along, that my insurance would pick up any of this. It never even occurred to me until today. All along, I figured Malarone was probably an "elective" drug or something... being that I didn't HAVE to take a safari in Tanzania (at least as far as BC/BS would be concerned).

So hey... whatEVER drugs you need to get for safaris... check with your insurance company. All they can do is say "no."

And I need to thank God, too, frankly. I'm not smart enough to think of things like this on my own. I had been trying pretty hard to buy them through some Canadian outfit and find a "reasonable" price under $200 for 28 tablets. I mean, I was Hell-bent for leather that I was GOING to get them from some "cheap" Canadian outfit. Suddenly, at the last second, this "blip" of an idea popped into my head... "See if your insurance will cover any of it, Russ." Now, whether you think it's silly or not, I personally have no doubt it was God covering my posterior, financially, and putting that thought in my head. God works in mysterious ways and all that. So, after I paid as little as I did, I said a prayer of thanks.

It's been a really good day, people. I saved a CHUNK of money on my Malarone prescription and I finally got my promotion orders to lieutenant colonel (though selected 14 Dec 04, I couldn't get promoted until I knocked out 50 percent of my Command and General Staff College requirements -- which I finally did 28 Jun 05).

It's truly been a good day and, as far as I'm concerned, God gets the credit. I don't believe much in "luck." Personally, I think I owe God a LOT of thanks. My Mom is doing better, I have been blessed with friends who bought me a safari, and... it seems all the time, since I came home from Iraq... I keep having good things happen. A promotion at work, a promotion in the Reserve, a new vehicle ('98 Durango), a lower house mortgage (5.5% "fixed" for 15 years, down from a variable 30-year monster that was killing me), my dog is in good health, and... well, there's just all sorts of good things going on with me, it seems. I'm just so grateful to so many for so much... I don't know. It has to be God, behind it all. That's all I can figure.

I just wanted to share the good "Malarone" news with you folks, in case it helps someone else out.

Lastly, to all the British folks here, with regard to all the bombings this morning, I just want to say how sorry I am. It's been on my mind all day, and I just don't know what to say except "I'm so sorry."

Godspeed.

Russ

The doing of unpleasant deeds calls for people of an unpleasant nature.

Posts: 2982 | Location: Silvis, IL | Registered: 12 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Woo-hoo! A good day indeed. Congratulations on the LtC and your Mother's health.

We also had BC/BS and they paid for our Malarone and some immunizations.

Melody
http://www.long-grass.com

Posts: 151 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
Russell:

I wrote recently on my "diary" thread about a bad day this week. I'll pontificate further about today's events there, but let's just say for now that about everything went perfectly. 1115 (a true saint) called and cheered me up, I got a pretty good feeler about going to a job that would pay me more than I could imagine and a stock option that would ensure retirement(pray for me on that one), a buxom honey I've always admired handed me her card and asked why I haven't asked her out... and I "found" some Axis deer sausage in the freezer that I thought I'd eaten long ago...

God is good. You, me, Dale and Lee will talk about his wonders over some hooch around a campfire under the Southern Cross soon, my friend!

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7711 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Stock-option prayer sent. Done deal.

It's always good finding food you thought was gone -- as long as it hasn't turned into a biology experiment. (I speak from experience on that one.) I just found some Russian boar sausage of which I didn't know I had any left, so I'm frying up some sausage for me and JoJo, and I'm swilling Comfort & 7-Up to celebrate my wonderful day.

Looking forward to seeing you soon, Judge.

Good news on the dame, too!

Russ

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Russell,

It's always good to stop and take stock of your blessings. Looking forward to meeting you in Tanzania.

JudgeG,

I prayed for your stock option. I always pray for you. Lord knows you need it!!!!

Posts: 551 | Location: Woodbine, Ga | Registered: 04 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hikerbum
posted Hide Post
I had my malarone covered by BC/BS also. $15 copay. unfortunately i stopped taking it after 5 days because the nightmares were awful, could not sleep and felt like crap during the day. Each person is different though.

On the good news thoughts.....

I have had my reasons to have very bad days. I do find though, that through every single day, I look for at least one thing that was good. Maybe a smile from someon, maybe a small gesture, or even some unexplained occurence that just brings a quick smile.

To everyone..... Have a good day Smiler

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Posts: 2602 | Location: Western New York | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Russell,

Glad to hear that things are lookin'up some.

Get the stuff ready to go, but don't get manic about it. You're going with friends who will undoubtedly be willing to help should you forget something.

Most important of all ... take notes for a journal or write it along the way. It's amazing and wonderful to read later. Helps with the PSD too ;>Wink

Have a GREAT time!!!!

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hikerbum,

Are you sure the antimalarial that caused you the nightmares, etc was Malarone? I am under the impression that Larium is the bad actor in this regard (for some people); and that Malarone was developed, at least in part, to overcome this drawback.

On our trip to Zim last year all six of our party used Malarone with no bad effects.

Posts: 152 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 03 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mstarling:

Helps with the PSD too ;>Wink

PSD? "Post-Safari Depression?"

Russ Cool

one of us
Picture of hikerbum
posted Hide Post
Ramhunter
Yes, it was malarone. My friend was taking it also. we both stopped the same day, and everything was fine after that. I cant imagine what Larium is like. We went for Malarone becuase of the bad press on Larium. The locals, PH, Ranch owner say most locals never take anyting because of different types of malaria. If you take one type of profolactic meds, then it masks the type of malaria you may still get and slows down diagnosis.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Posts: 2602 | Location: Western New York | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats on all your good fortune, Russell!

My insurance would not pay for Malarone but it does cover me "healthwise" anywhere in the world. But only at "out of network" rates - 50%. I don't know if they are like the IRS and every time you call you get a different answer. I hope not because I only called once.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Insurance always has paid for my Malarone, which was a suprise for me.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am going to try Malarone for about a week at least six months prior to my trip and see what affect it has. The lariam was enough to make me want malaria. I absolutely hated it.

Posts: 659 | Location: Texas | Registered: 28 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Haven't tried Larium, but the Malarone gave me one wicked sinus infection...Was bad and sustained up until I quit taking it...2 days later I was completely normal...A regular sinus infection does not just dissapear like this did..

Reckon it was better than getting Malaria though.

I'm trying Larium next time.

JW

one of us
posted Hide Post
ANYTIME I get down in the dumps or have a bad day or a simple injury, or those things that go along with life and/or old age, I remember what my grandad always told me, "Quit the damn whining and look around you, it ain't that far to someone else thats in a lot worse shape than you" Today we just tell each other arond here to "Quit whining and cowboy up"...

I was aching from roping and hurting pretty bad the other day and a kid watching said can I pet your horse, he was in a wheel chair, had no legs..I let him pet and ride my horse a little with me leading him..I walked away thinking God that at my age (70) I was just blessed that I could even get on my horse much less rope and hunt, and decided my ass needed a good kicking for whining, took some Ibuprofen and roped another dozen head of cattle.....

I have not use for whiners, self included...I remember my good friend George Hoffman, never whined one time before he passed away...He was disapointed he didn't make his trip to Tanzania with Saeed and me, but he accepted it like a man.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42171 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The above was in reference to my good friends Judge G and Russel in respect to days gone bad..they have seen it all, been there and done it..

BTW I use Lariam, have for years...It only effects very few folks, same with Malarone, I have seen some pretty dramatice effects of Malarone, especiall in women...

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 42171 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ray, what in particular? The lariam from the time I started taking it until two weeks after I stopped gave me a real fit - totally bizarre crying jags where I was actually saying I've never been happier - snap out of it but even if I had a positive outlook I would squall. That is totally not like me. It wasn't every day but it happened a lot. That is one reason I thought trying the Malarone when you weren't really doing anything special might be a good idea.

Posts: 659 | Location: Texas | Registered: 28 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
A lor of people take Larium and seem to suffer what might be called "Larium moments" without knowing it. A couple of hours or so after they take the pill they just switch off for a few seconds.......doesn't sound like much but it's worrying if you're watching - esp where firearms are involved....... I'm always extra vigilant if I know a client is taking it......maybe I'm overreacting to the situation but I also suffered really bad side effects when I took it and I've never forgotten that....

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ray Atkinson,

God bless you. Attitude is everything in life.

Hugh

Posts: 435 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 14 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Oldsarge
posted Hide Post
Larium makes me violently nauseus and gives me bizarre nightmares. I won't take it again. Honestly, I think I'll just stay away from malarial areas for a while. Maybe they'll get that malaria vaccine o.k.'d for us travelin' sports before I have a craving for another buffalo. Next year it's back to Natal and the trip after that will be to the Kalahari so I've got time . . .

Sarge

Holland's .375: One Planet, One Rifle . . . for one hundred years!

Posts: 2690 | Location: Lakewood, CA. USA | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have seen reaction from both Lariam and Malarone, pretty simular reactions for the most part and mostly in the female gender..

I instruct all my clients to try Lariam before they go to Africa, not when they go to Africa, for Petes sake..then try Malarone if the Lariam bothers them...Then they are prepared for Africa...

I also believe some not all of the so called reactions are created in the mind, because of all the to do about these drugs, so if you have a nightmare, guess who gets the blame, or if your suffering jet lag, guess who get the blame, yep, Lariam and Malarone. Another reason to get it all sorted out on this side of the pond...

If you have reaction to both then Doxycycline is the next alternative and least preventative according to all the doctors I have discussed this with over the years...Doxy also is very sun sensitive and I have seen some dandy sun burns from its use..

I under stand our troops in Iraq are using Lariam, with very few reactions, considering the number of troops that take it..I talked to a mash unit doctor about this, I guess that's what they still call them today...

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

one of us
posted Hide Post
To blindly recommend Lariam in our days is simply and plainy irresponsible. The oft-documented side effects are frequent and heavy enough that in more advanced countries, Lariam is shunned by most practitioners unless compelling reasons advise against Malarone.

Carcano

--
"Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither."

"Is the world less safe now than before you declared your Holy war? You bet!"
(DUK asking Americans, 14th June 2004)

Posts: 2452 | Location: Old Europe | Registered: 23 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
What the hell was that about. The guy said to try it before you go and if it bothers you, don't take it any more...

And, since American medicine is so backwards, particularly since it only has an ongoing case study of malaria going on in Iraq and elsewhere with 150,000 subjects, I guess we need to listen to the French or somebody. The CDC sucks, huh?

BTW ( to a physician please) isn't Larium the most effective of the prophylactics? In other words, if Larium works for you without side effects, isn't your chance of CONTRACTING the disease the least with it?

My liver died in 1964 anyway. Razzer

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7711 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I read somewhere that the chinese had come up with some new wonder drug for malaria. No side effects and works on all strains. Anybody have any info on it?

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote