THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Re: Reports from Saeed's Hunting Camp 2004

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Reports from Saeed's Hunting Camp 2004
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted
Yes, indeed. Very well, and very diplomatically, said.

Posts: 13633 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

If you can keep you head when all about you

Are losing theirs and blaming it on you.

If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,

But make allowance for their doubting too;

If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,

Or being lied about, don�t deal in lies,

Or being hated, don�t give way to hating,

And yet don�t look too good, nor talk too wise:

If you can dream - and not make dreams your master;

If you can think - and not make thoughts your aim;

If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster

And treat these two imposters just the same;

If you can bear to hear the truth you�ve spoken

Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,

Or watch the things you gave your life to, broken,

And stoop and build �em up with worn-out tools:

If you can make one heap of all your winnings

And risk it on one turn of pitch-and-toss,

And lose, and start again at your beginnings

And never breathe a word about your loss;

If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew

To serve your turn long after they are gone,

And so hold on when there is nothing in you

Except the Will which says to them: �Hold on!�

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,

Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch,

If neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you,

If all men count with you, but none too much;

If you can fill the unforgiving minute

With sixty seconds� worth of distance run,

Yours is the Earth and everything that�s in it,

And - which is more - you�ll be a Man, my son!

Rudyard Kipling

http://www.orderofthewhitelion.com/Poetryetc@/Poetry/Ifpoem.htm

Thanks for the great work Canuck, I don't really hunt much anymore. And it's good to feel included.

Posts: 4739 | Location: London England | Registered: 11 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Judge, Amen again my friend!
Steve

Posts: 439 | Location: Kansas by way of Colorado and Montana | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
<mikeh416Rigby>
posted
Quote:

Gerald, my friend:

While the below is not about an Arab, it's about (as you call them....) a "wog". The last verse of Gunga Din has always made me think twice before I damn due to heritage.

Though I've belted you and flayed you,
By the livin' Gawd that made you,
You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din!

Personally, I choose to judge a person, not a people. R. Kipling had it right, I think.

Amen Judge! I'll raise my glass to that.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I also wish offer my congratulations to Ahmed. That is truly an outstanding accomplishment.

Posts: 262 | Location: PA & VA, USA | Registered: 26 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gerald416

The world has enough bigots. Why are you here?

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
Hey guys,

No reports yet. I just got back from my Pa's ranch last nite and half expected to hear from Saeed today. He knows I am back to work tomorrow though, so I expect he is planning on calling then.

I will ask about Ray. I kinda thought I heard him in the background last time, but I wasn't sure. Saeed hadn't mentioned anything about Ray specifically, so I just presumed he is in camp. I'll get an update this time for sure.

Apologies again for the delay in the reporting.

Cheers,
Canuck

Posts: 7122 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
I'll bet Walter is "fit to be tied", as we used to say in Texas.

Being ignored is a fate worse than death to him!

Can't wait to hear the results of the lion bait.

Posts: 1645 | Location: Elizabeth, Colorado | Registered: 13 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Canuck,
Thanks for the reports I look forward to reading ALL the installments!

John

Posts: 831 | Location: Mount Vernon, WA | Registered: 18 November 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
In case any of you are waiting, it is now about 12:20 AM in Tanz and I haven't heard from Saeed yet. Hopefully it just means they are having too much fun and will check in tomorrow.

Cheers,
Canuck

Posts: 7122 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I met with Ray the day he drove into Boise, ID for the flight out early the next morning. Finally got to meet him in person and spent dinner with him. Had a great time chatting with him about Africana. Sure hope he too is having a good time hunting.
Jeff Pfeifer

Posts: 330 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can't take it! What's happening?

Posts: 659 | Location: "The Muck", NJ | Registered: 10 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wow, sounds like a piece of heaven. I'm all for technology that allows several hundred adults drool wholeheartedly online. It is strange feeling when I remember during the day that as I sit around doing nothing much, someone is hunting buffalo/lion in wildest africa!

Posts: 2360 | Location: London | Registered: 31 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 30ott6
posted Hide Post
What have you heard about Ray? Is he not hunting or are the Lariam suppositories causing him discomfort? If you can, pass on a message to him for me that I am now in possession of the .416 Atkinson and will test fire it this weekend. He'll know what that means. Thanks Canuck!

John

Posts: 1143 | Location: Cody, WY | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
Report #3 � August 10/04

My apologies for not getting this posted up sooner. I talked to Saeed again yesterday at 10:00 PM Tanz time, but was not near a computer at the time. As a side note, sometimes modern technology is really cool! Here I was, driving down the road in Dawson Creek BC (a relatively small town in the hinterland of Canada), when Saeed calls me on my cell phone. I wheeled in to the parking lot of the Tim Horton�s I was driving by and we had about a 10 minute conversation�.Saeed on a satellite phone in the middle-of-nowhere Tanzania, and me on a cell phone � a full half of the world away � in pretty much the middle-of-nowhere Canada. The reception was very clear, although there was about a 5 second time lag that made conversing a little more difficult than usual. I was also taking notes furiously so that I wouldn�t miss passing anything on, which I am sure didn�t help! Anyway, is that cool or is it just me that thinks so? On to the real reason for my post�
  • Saeed reports that everyone is having an absolutely fantastic time, and that the hunt just seems to get better and better each day.
  • They are seeing lots of buffalo every day. Since the last report, Saeed has shot two bulls, bringing the camp total to 4 so far. Todd and Saeed have also got a kongoni each. Dwight and Saeed each got warthogs, and Saeed got a good crocodile.
  • They haven�t managed to score on any cats so far, but they have been seeing lots of lionesses and young lions, and even a leopard or two if I am not mistaken. They are also seeing elephants every day.
  • Saeed described their typical hunting day as getting up at 5 AM, off to the hunting area for the day by 6 AM and not getting back to camp until 8 or 9 PM. He said the only thing the aren�t getting is a lot of sleep, and they are loving every minute of it.
  • As is to be expected, Walter has continued to remain on everyone�s bad side. We�ll have to wait for the video for the full details (wouldn�t want to spoil all the surprises), but he has been playing a number of practical jokes on everyone. He has been spending some considerable effort on torturing the camp staff and trackers by playing with their minds. For some reason, they all like to call Walter the �Wise Old Man�! He definitely has them fooled! Walter has also been gearing the trackers up for the annual �Shooting Competition� (if you�ve seen the previous video�s you�ll know what that means � basically, they get the trackers to shoot off some of the remaining ammo for prizes), by showing them Saeed�s Champions video (the one with everyone shooting the 577 T-Rex) and telling them that is what they will have to shoot in the competition!
  • Saeed also had me rolling with laughter in my truck seat at his description of himself hunting with one of their trackers. Apparently, this particular tracker is a Masai with about 7-foot legs (according to Saeed!). I guess Saeed has to take 5 steps to every one of the tracker�s, and each time the tracker stops and sets up the shooting sticks, they�re about 2 feet over Saeed�s head. I truly wish I had the talent to describe this in type the way Saeed did on the phone! I was having difficulty breathing I was laughing so hard and still trying to be quiet enough to hear what else Saeed had to say�.
  • While we were talking, Saeed says �Did you hear that?�. I had heard what sounded like a person yelling in the background (albeit faintly). Saeed says �That was a hyena.�. Meanwhile I can hear more yelling in the background and Saeed breaks out with one of his big laughs (that we all know from the T-Rex videos, etc). I guess Walter was calling back to the hyenas. Right after Saeed has stopped laughing I can hear more yelling, which Saeed said was Todd yelling at Walter to shut up because he was going to bring the hyenas into camp! I am sure that was just a hint of what goes on with that crew in camp. It was awful fun to listen to�
  • The lions have been roaring near camp every night.
< !--color-->
Well that�s it for this installment. Saeed said he would try calling again in a couple of days. I will be up at my Dad�s ranch helping him put up hay for the next few days and the cell reception is not very reliable there, so it may be until the weekend before Saeed and I connect again.

Cheers,
Canuck

one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Appreciate all your effort, Canuck. This is a fantastic way to enjoy Saeed's hunt.
By the way, will be up in Kelowna, BC, the end of August for ten days. Anywhere near you?

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Canuck,

Did Ray make it to camp?

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
Thanks Canuck for the detailed and well written posts.
Nice to have some news of the bush. Keep em coming
Russ

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Canuck: Another excellent report. I can imagine that everyone is having a great time and I hope the videos of Walter all come out great. Thank you Canuck.

Posts: 669 | Location: Alaska, USA | Registered: 26 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

• The lions and leopards have still managed to give them the slip.
< !--color-->

Probably due to too much giggling. ??

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of gdupuis
posted Hide Post
If Saeed's brother's name is Almaktoum, he won the gold medal for 'Men Double Trap Final'!

http://www.athens2004.com/en/OlympicMedals/medals?noc=UAE
http://www.athens2004.com/en/ShootingMen/results?rsc=SHM402101&frag=SHM402101_C74I

Mabrouk Habibi!!!

Posts: 91 | Location: Montreal, Quebec | Registered: 27 December 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
That's him alright! And he blew the competition away. That 189 he shot is even better than his score at the World Cup Championship in 2003.

Congrats Ahmed!

Canuck

one of us
posted Hide Post
That is absolutely amazing....Congratulations Ahmed! Saeed...you must be proud.

Posts: 669 | Location: Alaska, USA | Registered: 26 February 2004Reply With Quote
Administrator
Picture of DRG
posted Hide Post
Canuck...check out the header.....

Don

Posts: 26547 | Location: Where the pilgrims landed | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Congrats from an international skeet shooter!!

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote