Find
Notify
Tools

going through my old diaries.....
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted
Just going through some of my old diaries and found these along with a letter from Joubert Van Ingen (the famous taxidermist from S. India)...... and thought some of you out there might enjoy this.

The pics are of his old workshop and the letter is dated August 1991 and he tells me he hunted Tanganyika 50 years or so before that date and the cost of the licence was T/S 100 which allowed him to take:
2 Elephants
10 Buff
20 Zebra
2 Kudu
2 Sable
2 Roan
4 Lions
and no limit on the number of Warthog, Leopard & birds etc.

He didn't use a PH and just bought an old truck & supplies, hired one African and had a letter of introduction to the local game warden named Cooper who told him which areas were best for the various species.

He hunted for about 2 months and actually took;-
2 Elephants of 96 & 85 lbs and 78 & 65 lbs
2 Buff
Roan
Sable
Eland
Warthog
"various Antelopes"

He also failed to get a Lion......

One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Steve,

Great photos..off a time gone by...

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
Wow, interesting. Thanks for posting.

Kyler

I'm so old that I still have some skills even without an internet connection or electricity.

Posts: 2507 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aziz
posted Hide Post
Shakari

Thank you for posting the information and the interesting photos.

I wish I was born 50 years ago.

Regards
Aziz

photo 5a71b091-8ccb-440e-8358-1ba8fe6939cb_zpsga1mmy00.jpg

Posts: 591 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 04 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted Hide Post
That is one hell of a trophy room! Really makes you wish you had a time machine or were born 100 years ago.

Posts: 2153 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 23 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of thornell
posted Hide Post
Great photos! Thanks for posting.

Posts: 705 | Location: MIDDLE TENNESSEE | Registered: 25 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I love those trophies. Even considering that taxidermy is so much better these days, those are impressive.

And looking at those tigers makes me realize that, as others have said, I was really born too late.

Ah, to be able to hunt tigers again . . .

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13625 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Widowmaker416
posted Hide Post
Great photo's and story, Yes the good old days are gone! Frowner

"America's Meat - - - SPAM"

As always, Good Hunting!!!

Widowmaker416

Posts: 1782 | Location: New Jersey USA | Registered: 12 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The BLACK RHINO was not available for some decades I think... Now there is a little of it. Perhaps scientists will clone tigers and they too WILL reach huntable numbers again. Clone 100 Pound Ellie Tusks, Lion Manes, Blk Rhino Horns, Tiger & Leopard Hides etc, destroy the legitimate or under ground market value of all animal "Trophies" and organs and let's get back to Hunting for the exhilarating experience that it is.

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote