Find
Notify
Tools

Re: 375 Bullets for Buffalo
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted
I guess this means that that coffee can of copperclad steel jacketed 300 grain round nose solids I have are to be left home.

I could always use them for crushing rocks in the local quarry!!!!!

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BlackHawk1
posted Hide Post
Vapodog,

Which quarry? I'll meet ya there!

Posts: 707 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 23 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hamdeni
posted Hide Post
Guys,

The only bullets i have are silver tips,so i would like to know can i use them on shoulder shots?

Hamdeni

Posts: 1846 | Location: uae | Registered: 30 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Hamdeni,

Like I said, they're not ideal, but will do the job at a pinch.......however, don't try to break any big bones.....aim just behind the foreleg and assuming the bullet hits where you're aiming it will do the job...... if you have the slightest opportunity to get a second or subsequent bullet(s) into the animal, take it.

On the subject of Trophy Bonded, I reckon I've seen more of them fail than all the other bullets put together....but maybe that's coincidence. Many hunters swear by them.

one of us
Picture of hamdeni
posted Hide Post
Shakari,

Thanks for the reply,

Hamdeni

Posts: 1846 | Location: uae | Registered: 30 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
I had great performance from 300gr Nosler partitons on two buffalo. Not fancy but they got the job done.

Jason

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A buffalo is not an inexpensive proposition. The bullet you use is the insurance policy you have to ensure the hunt ends successfully. Don't fool around with bullets you THINK will do the job!

I have never used the Northfork bullet as many have touted here. But, I would like to try them and probably will experiment with them this spring. I can, without hesitation or reservation, highly recommend the Barnes line of bullets. And I will have to honestly admit, when I leave for Tanzania in September, the Barnes will be the bullets to make the trip. If your rifle will shoot them accurately, you will be doing yourself a favor, as well as protecting your investment by using them. I am not an authority on buff hunting but, I have taken four and each were taken with Barnes bullets and each was a one shot kill. My first was with a .375, the second with a .458 and the last two were taken with a .458 Lott. Every rifle, bullet, scope, boot, ect., has it's loyal core of fans...I guess you can see where mine is. If I was really computer literate, I'd post some photos of my recovered Barnes bullets, all of which have 99% retention...but, that's a problem for another forum.

A lot of people don't like Barnes because they copper streak their barrells. Make sure your bore is ABSOLUTELY clean and clear of any copper before you start shooting...use JB's and a quality solvent with a nylon bore brush. If you start off right, you will not have any appreciable problem. I am going to swithch from the X to the Triple-shock this spring, as I have read many favorable reports on them.

Again, even a 7-day buff hunt is a substantial investment. Don't jeopardize it by wondering whether or not your bullet will do the job. Enjoy the experience and leave the rest up to a premium bullet.

Bull1

Posts: 405 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: 25 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
IN the 375 H&H my favorite bullets have been and will continue to be Northforks and Woodleigh, neither will fail you....

I like the new 350 gr. Woodliegh PP in a .375, and it gives the 375 a boost up to .416 it seems to me, and the 300 gr. Northfork soft point are great bullets...

I like the Nosler partition 300 gr. bullets but have only observed their use, but they sure did work well...

I love the Northfork cuppoints in any caliber and could just use them and nothing else from now on...they are my hands down favorite bullet as of this year.....

The Barnes X that I have seen used on Buffalo all worked to perfection, however I do not like them on plainsgame as I have seen to many failures...I have also seen the new Bear Claw bullets by Spear fail, they are a tad too soft IMO...They are definatly softer than the original Bear Claw IMO....

Anytime you address bullets I assure you that you will get mixed responses and prejucices will fly...

The bottom line is today we have the best bullets ever and that sez Kudos for the bullet makers efforts....

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
Atkinson:
Quote:

Anytime you address bullets I assure you that you will get mixed responses and prejucices will fly...

The bottom line is today we have the best bullets ever and that sez Kudos for the bullet makers efforts....

Standing ovation to that statement .....Thanks Ray

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote