THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Pistol caliber for leopard/hunted with dogs

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pistol caliber for leopard/hunted with dogs
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I've got a leopard hunt this June in Zim and I have two pistols. S&W 357 mag (4.5 inch barrel) and I have a Ruger Alaskan 44 mag. (2.5 inch barrel). No scopes.
The 44 mag seems like a good choice but with the short barrel (shorter sight plane) and decreased velocities?
The 357 mag is a good choice but not too many options on good bullets and optimum velocities.

AMMO:
1. I like the Winchester supreme ammo with the nosler partition bullets for both pistols, 158 grain in the 357 and 250 grain in the 44.

2, Federal's hunting ammo with the 140 grain barnes bullets for the 357 and 225 grain barnes bullets for the 44 mag.

I'm a little premature on my post because I'm going to chrono the ammo through both pistols, I would like to keep the velocity around 1,000 fps and the energy around 500 foot pounds (@25 yds). I personally think this combination will get the job done.

Do any of you have suggestions on what I should have for velocity and energy to make a clean kill, and do you have any ammo suggestions other than the ones mentioned above.

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
dirk,

Of the two you mention, I'd use the .44mag. as your ranges will be short.

Given my choice of cartridges however, I'd use a warm-loaded .45 Colt in a 5" barrel. It will make a slightly bigger hole than the .44, and I find it to be a more manageable cartridge to shoot.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Never shot a leopard with a handgun but I have shot several deer with various handguns.

Do not use the 357! It lacks killing power on deer sized game. Handguns do not have enough velocity to make soft/hollow point bullets reliably expand on game. Use a large calibre, .44 or .45 for a large hole and a big heavy bullet for deep penetration thru bone.

troy

Birmingham, Al

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DTala:
Never shot a leopard with a handgun but I have shot several deer with various handguns.

Do not use the 357! It lacks killing power on deer sized game. Handguns do not have enough velocity to make soft/hollow point bullets reliably expand on game. Use a large calibre, .44 or .45 for a large hole and a big heavy bullet for deep penetration thru bone. troy

I agree. I personally witnessed a boar shooting with a 357 - very, very poor performance, even with multiple well-placed shots and premium ammunition.

If you shoot the 44 well, by all means use it.

Posts: 5184 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 06 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've had very good luck with Florida hogs with the .357, but for leopard I'd use the .44 with some 250 grain hard cast lead bullets. Solid lead seems to work better in my .44, although taking on a leopard with it is something I would not venture to do.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would use the 44 Mag.

If you are going through South Africa enroute to Zim, you will have to mount a scope on your 44.

Just take it off when you get to Zim.

Then put it back on on the way home.

Be sure your Ph has the proper permit from Parks allowing you to hunt with your "handgun".

On your South African paper work call your 44 a "revolver", on your Zim paperwork call it a "handgun".

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
From my experience with cougar in Oregon, I would recommend a longer barrel for the increased sight radius and the decreased muzzle rise. I've never hunted with dogs, but Bob Hagel had an article years ago on hunting cougars with a handgun and dogs and he noted that many shots were twenty yards or more even after the cat was treed. The reason for this was the necessity of manuevering for a clear shot sometimes required backing away from the tree.

Posts: 709 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 16 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My choice would be, and is, a S&W Model 57 or 657 .41 magnum with at least a 6" barrel loaded with 210 grain Sierra Silhouette bullets.

Foggy Mountain Outfitters states that the majority of their client's one shot kills on record Black Bear have been with with .41 mag and the Sierra bullet combination. I've used this load for years prior to seeing their claims and I heartily agree. If it will stop a 500-600 pound Black Bear. It should work well on Leopards.

The best all around caliber and handgun combination I have found for hunting.

Don't mean to offend anyone, but I wouldn't trust a 2 1/2" .44 mag to stop a charging tuna sandwich. Poor sight radius and poor controllability for follow-up shots and too much muzzleblast. You could become a "tuna sandwich" before you could get a second shot off.

"Isn't it pretty to think so."

Posts: 148 | Location: Cascade Foot Hills | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dirk,

If you have to use a handgun I have to agree with Cooper. I don't see either of the handguns suggested as medicine for purposely hunting DG. I think if it were me I'd trade both guns in on a longer barreled .44 Mag. Perhaps a 629 S&W and get a load of practice.

A leopard is not the retiring cat that a cougar is. A misplaced shot could create a mess for the dogs and perhaps be very dangerous for the hunters.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12971 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Woodmnctry
posted Hide Post
In the for what is worth column—just shot a leopard this past November as part of a hound/leopard hunt in Zim with Charlton Mc Callum Safaris. Cat was in a tree -- distance 40 yards -- rifle 300 Win Mag -- bullet 180 grain Bear Claw at 3100fps. Round placement was dead on the money.
The moral of the story is that -- the much to my amazement -- the bullet did not go through - stopped inside the skin on the off shoulder. The cat was DOA when he hit the ground -- if fact he hit so hard he broke a front leg-- my point being that when you have an agitated puddy tat big time tensed up looking at you -- all the penetration you can get is good thing. I am not saying that a pistol of sufficient umph cannot get r' done but I would recommend all the horsepower you can carry.

OMG!-- my bow is "pull-push feed" - how dreadfully embarrasing!!!!!

Posts: 932 | Location: 8K Ft in Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote