THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Tanzania-Tourist hunting scandal brewing

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tanzania-Tourist hunting scandal brewing
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Tourist hunting scandal now brewing in Iringa

June 18, 2008

-Wildlife department says investigation underway

THISDAY REPORTER
Dar es Salaam

THE government is investigating reports that a number of tourist hunting companies are involved in massive poaching activities that are threatening to drive much of the country’s wildlife population to the brink of extinction.

It has been disclosed that an investigation is underway into allegations that one tourist hunting firm based in Arusha has been breaching hunting regulations and the Wildlife Conservation Act of 1974 by exceeding its quota on the maximum number of animals it is allowed to kill.

This comes amid reports that the once-large populations of lions and other game animals in the country are rapidly dwindling due to illegal hunting activities.

Sources say the company in question, Marera Safaris Lodge and Tours (Tanzania), has been hunting more animals than allocated under its licensed quota in a wildlife management area (WMA) in Iringa Region.

But according to the sources, no legal measures have so far been taken against the company, allegedly because it is being protected by senior government officials in the region.

The Ministry of Natural Resources and Tourism says it has already been made aware of the allegations of illegal hunting activities against the company, and is investigating.

’’I have the allegations on my desk, and we are making preparations to carry out a thorough investigation to establish the truth,’’ the acting director of wildlife in the ministry, Bonaventura Midala, told THISDAY in a telephone interview yesterday.

Midala said the wildlife department has received reports from members of the Idodi-Pawaga WMA community - known by its Kiswahili acronym of MBOMIPA - that Marera Safaris Lodge and Tours (T) Limited also secured hunting licences for two non-professional hunters (names withheld), who then hunted animals without valid permits.

He hinted that the department will also investigate these allegations if need be.

Industry sources told THISDAY in Iringa that Marera Safaris, whose base is in Arusha, entered into an agreement with the MBOMIPA community on July 30 last year to conduct tourist hunting in the Idodi-Pawaga WMA.

The sources said Marera Safaris was given a hunting quota for two lions and eight zebras during the July-December 2007 tourist hunting season, but the firm instead killed four lions and 13 zebras, thus surpassing its licensed quota.

According to a report prepared by two game scouts and submitted to the Iringa district game officer on April 30 this year, the four lions were killed on August 9, 2007 by an American tourist using licence number 1-19329, and the 13 zebras were killed on the same day by another American tourist.

A member of the Idodi-Pawaga WMA community board of trustees who preferred to remain anonymous said they reported the firm�s alleged misconduct to the Iringa district game officer, Eniyoye John, but no action has been taken todate.

’’The feeling is that the district game officer is protecting the company for reasons best known to himself,’’ said the board member.

The Idodi-Pawaga WMA has a total of 21 villages with a population of over 40,000.

When contacted for comment, Eniyoye John said:’’I am aware of the claims, but conflicts in the tourism industry that involve investors call for a soft diplomatic approach lest we frustrate them.’’

He said the Iringa District natural resources advisory board will meet on Saturday to discuss the issue.

The board is chaired by the Iringa District Commissioner, Erasto Mbwilo, who, however, claimed in an interview with this paper that he was not aware of the allegations.

But according to our impeccable sources within the Iringa District administration office: ’’All indications are that this company has breached hunting regulations and the law. Full stop.’’

The source added: ’’Since I am not happy with how the whole issue is being handled, I have already been labeled as an enemy and my life is at risk.’’

Also contacted for comment, the chief executive officer of Marera Safaris Lodge and Tours (T) Limited, Hillary Daffi, denied the allegations being leveled against the company, saying the issue is political.

’’The area in which I am operating is one of the most potentially-lucrative hunting blocks in the country. There is pressure from some hunters who want to remove me from the area,’’ Daffi said when reached by phone in Arusha.

There are widespread reports of various owners of tourist hunting companies being involved in poaching and illegal trade in game trophies.

Corruption and laxity in regulating the lucrative tourist hunting industry in the country have been blamed for contributing to shortfalls in government revenue from the key sector, as well as threatening the country’s wildlife population.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9486 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
EDITORIAL: Reports of massive poaching activities call for prompt govt action

June 19, 2008

EDITOR
DAR ES SALAAM

REPORTS that a number of tourist hunting companies are involved in massive poaching activities are of grave concern because they demonstrate the weaknesses of the existing machinery tasked to protect our natural heritage. ��

This is not the first time we hear about poaching activities that are threatening to drive much of the country�s wildlife population to the brink of extinction.

More worrying are reports that the once-large populations of lions and other game animals in the country are rapidly dwindling due to illegal hunting activities in breach of hunting regulations and the Wildlife Conservation Act of 1974. As a case in point, one tourist hunting company based in Arusha is said to be exceeding its quota on the maximum number of animals it is allowed to kill.

There is widespread concern among members of the Idodi-Pagawa wildlife management area (WMA) in Iringa Region that the same firm -- which has entered into an agreement with the community there -- has secured hunting licences for two non-professional hunters, who then hunted animals without valid permits.

Sources also say the firm was given a hunting quota for two lions and eight zebras during the July-December 2007 tourist hunting season, but instead it killed four lions and 13 zebras, thus surpassing its licensed quota. Such behaviour is unacceptable and must not be allowed to continue.

We are pleased to learn that the government -- after realizing the effects of such illegal activities on the wildlife and endangered species in the country -- has launched an investigation into these rather serious allegations.

We all know what consequences this country will suffer if poaching continues. So the Ministry of Natural Resources and Tourism must ensure that the probe team leaves no stone unturned in its investigation, which we are told is already underway.

The team must also dwell on allegations that there are top government leaders and even game officers who protect the culprits even when there is sufficient evidence to take them to task.

But we think, in addition to forming probe committees to look into massive poaching activities, the government should also seriously address the inherent weaknesses in the entire machinery tasked to protect our wildlife.

All along corruption and laxity in regulating the lucrative hunting industry in the country have been blamed for contributing to shortfalls in government revenue from the key sector, as well as threatening the wildlife population.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9486 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hunted there in September of last year. There was strict adherence to the game laws. I saw the trophies from the prior safaris. Nothing like the quantities reported were noted while I was there.

I know the people that were there before me. They DID NOT kill the quantities reported.

Posts: 12095 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gee, larry, did someone accuse you of being the alleged offending party?

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No, the dates referenced were just before we went. All I was trying to say was that I found the article suspect.

Posts: 12095 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stonecreek,

I would take it just that way myself. I know Hillary Dafi and Larry Shores personally. I SERIOUSLY doubt the veracity of this story.

Jeff

Posts: 2857 | Location: FL | Registered: 18 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Gee, someone is lying? Big surprise.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19362 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Idodi-Pagawa wildlife management area (WMA) in Iringa Region

Can anybody tell me the location. As my map does not show it. I was wondering was it a controlled, reserved or open hunting area.

cp

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It borders the Ruaha National Park. I believe it is on the east side.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Even assuming the allegations are true, which is certainly questionable, how would two lions and 5 zebra constitute "massive poaching" in Tanzania??

"If you’re innocent why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?”- Donald Trump

Posts: 10423 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 09 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Kathi:

According to a report prepared by two game scouts and submitted to the Iringa district game officer on April 30 this year, the four lions were killed on August 9, 2007 by an American tourist using licence number 1-19329, and the 13 zebras were killed on the same day by another American tourist.

Now I've never been lion hunting, but 4 lions in one day by one "American tourist" seems to me quite a feat. 13 zebras would also seem to be a full day. Something doesn't add up.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You are so right.

Some people were not happy with Hilary getting this area. It seems to me that this is nothing more than these guys trying to get his area.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The standards of reporters in Tz are definetely not something to brag about and on issues where one has no concept whatsoever of the subject at hand all sorts of exagerations result.

It is not common for "game scouts" to speak out against PH`s and about illegalities on safari as they are often the cause of "rule bending". It is so common to have clients shooting several PG animals over their quota to use as baits which, if the above story is true is probably what happened there.

Does Hillary still offer 10 buff on a 10 day hunt with only the best two exportable as trophies? Roll Eyes

Where there is smoke there is often fire stir

"...Them, they were Giants!"
J.A. Hunter describing the early explorers and settlers of East Africa

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3035 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kathi:
... massive poaching activities that are threatening to drive much of the country’s wildlife population to the brink of extinction.

Leading off an article with such sensationalism is a hint that it may not be an accurate representation of the facts.

THISDAY is known for their extremely liberal articles.

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mich,

Can you elaborate about 10/10 deal here or input through a PM?

Thanks

Jeff

Posts: 2857 | Location: FL | Registered: 18 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Having been there for 21 days for both me and my son, I can tell you that there were 2 buff killed between the 2 of us. Ten buff in ten days was pretty much impossible.

one of us
posted Hide Post
BB
it was being offered through the old TAWICO/USANGU by abusing their cropping permit

Old habits die hard....

"...Them, they were Giants!"
J.A. Hunter describing the early explorers and settlers of East Africa

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3035 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
that Marera Safaris Lodge and Tours (T) Limited also secured hunting licences for two non-professional hunters (names withheld), who then hunted animals without valid permits.

This surely says that old habits die hard...its in the Tawico/Usangu Bloodstream to conduct cropping with non Ph licenses....i wonder what the travel insurance on clients say about hunting with a PH with no hunting qualifications or certified.....

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There were 2 PH's in the camp beside Hilary. Both seemed knowledgeable. No idea if they were licensed. I had heard of both before I booked the trip. I assumed they were both licensed.