Tools

Lion vs. Hyena
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Kenati
posted
I apologize if this video link has already been posted, but just in case:

http://www.m90.org/view_image.php?image_id=1942

Posts: 1051 | Location: Dirty Coast | Registered: 23 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It has played here before, but good to see it again. Thanks Kenati. Tom Lowe took credit for that, maybe the setting to rock&roll of the original, by the Joubert husband & wife team? "Eternal Enemies" from the National Gegraphic Channel?

The male lion is stronger and faster and has a better back breaking blow with the paw than a hyena has.

That does show how huge the spotted hyena is, but not as huge as the King of Beasts.

The hyena does have the greatest bite pressure of any quadruped. Good for chewing up bones.

The hyena has a biochemical/metabolic problem with aromatization of sex steroids, so the females don't make good supplies of good estrogen. They have hermaphrodite genitalia, and the female is the boss hyena.

That's all the hyena trivia I know.

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Speaking of hyenas... If the female is larger, I guess quite a few females are shot. If that is so, does anybody pay attention to whether she has young ones that she is still suckling??

Are hyenas like wolves, in that only the alpha fermale has pups??

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mho:
Speaking of hyenas... If the female is larger, I guess quite a few females are shot. If that is so, does anybody pay attention to whether she has young ones that she is still suckling??

Are hyenas like wolves, in that only the alpha fermale has pups??

- mike

Hyena pups are tended by all the females in the troop! The one exception is the offspring of the ALFA female! I she is killed, her pups are usually very mistreated, and sometimes killed. All others are taken care of by the troop!

Hyenas are not like wolves, all the fertile females breed, and the males do not camp with the females, and young, but come in only to breed!

The killing of a Hyena by the client,early in the safari, is considered to mean good luck on the hunt, by the camp, and tracking staff!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Of course you always pay attention to a animal with cubs...The Hyena is a part of Africa to be respected, it is not the "hated" animal some seem to portray them as...Ask any PH worth his salt and he will tell you even the storks and vultures are part of the ecosystem in Africa and to be respected.....

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42156 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good clip and interesting commentary. I learned some from that. Thanks

EKM

----------------------------------
Never Go Undergunned, Always Check The Sight In, Perform At Show Time.

Good judgment comes from bad experience! Learn from the mistakes of others as you won't live long enough to make them all yourself!

Posts: 289 | Location: Denver, Colorado | Registered: 16 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Interesting stuff, thanks for taking the time to expand my horizon a bit.
- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Anders
posted Hide Post
Great clip! I must agree with Atkinson. Hope this is true..
When hunting in Namibia last year, I farmer on a nearby farm had shot and wounded a hyena. For me it sounded like they shot every predator that walked through their property with no ethics involved.. Well, I guess I can`t draw a conclusion after one story.
But what do you guys feel about this matter. How do farmers (not outfits) treat predators? I understand their problem with killing of livestock, of course..

Anders

Hunting and fishing DVDs from Mossing & Stubberud Media: www.jaktogfiskedvd.no

..and my blog at: http://andersmossing.blogspot.com

Posts: 1959 | Location: Norway | Registered: 19 September 2002Reply With Quote