New
Find
Notify
Tools

I do not think I can do IT.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I shot my Blaser R 93 375 Safari today...
It shot good. The trigger is just plain scary it is so crisp...
I like the way the rifle feels, shoots and functions...

But I do not think I can hunt with a Bolt Rifle in Africa...

Nothing "wrong" with a bolt rifle that functions as near 100% as any man made object can...

But...

It is just that I have found a double to be much superior, especially in Africa.

Remember I have hunted and used a bolt rifle for many years...

It is just that a double has a few clear advantgages.

I have found the quick One/Two, reload, reload,[ I only handle one shell at a time], one/two, of the double rifle, to be superior to the one,rack, two, rack, three, rack, four,half rack, reload, reload ,reload, half rack [I do not try to fill the magazine and then fill the chamber when in a hurry], of the bolt rifle.

Also with the double if you only shoot one shot is is easy to reload one.

Also the ability to change from softs to solids or vice versa quickly and SILENTLY with a double to be a BIG advantage.

The ability to have two different bullets just a trigger pull away at the same time is another great feature.

Not only Soft/Solid, but I have used a Soft soft in the right bbl and a Harder Soft in the left, when hunting as well.

I just can't do it. I CAN"T.

The Chapuis 9,3X74R must go back to Africa.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When things get SERIOUS, some times it all boils down to "USING THE FORCE".

For me the "FORCE" is much stronger with a double rifle.

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
You already know the answer to this one - your doubles have been there and done it for you before.

Now the real question -- which two doubles... animal

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Charles the plan is:
"I" will take my NE 450 No2, my Chapuis [scoped] 9,3x74R and If I can get the permit my Freedom Arms 475 Linebaugh.

My wife will take the 450/400 3 1/4", a 308 Blaser R 93, and my Sauer 12x12x30-06 Drilling.

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you have it covered! beer

AND the 450 No. 2/9.3x74R is a proven combo for you.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Charles,
You are correct they have performed perfect.
However I plan on shooting at least one cow elephant with my 450/400 so I can "say" I have taken elephant with all my doubles.
I would like to shoot some plains game with it [scoped] as well to test the theory of a scoped 450/400.

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Tony, don't worry! Peggy will be there to back you up with her Blaser! Eeker

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rusty
Actually when we are after the "BIG stuff she will have the 450/400, or if i am giving the 450/400 a go she will have the 9,3x74R.

She has been using her Drilling for several years and has "break open" guns down pat.

In fact just tonight we ate Quail she "slaughtered" with her drilling.

She has killed a few deer and pigs with her drilling... and the Blasser in 308 too for that matter.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:
Charles the plan is:
"I" will take my NE 450 No2, my Chapuis [scoped] 9,3x74R and If I can get the permit my Freedom Arms 475 Linebaugh.

My wife will take the 450/400 3 1/4", a 308 Blaser R 93, and my Sauer 12x12x30-06 Drilling.

Do the airlines have any heartache about 3 firearms per gun case?

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd leave that Blaser home, too, very good decision.

Posts: 1700 | Location: USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Take whatever you are comfortable with and forget the rest. I would LOVE to own a double just to hunt elephants with, but just to give you some perspective, I can't see using a double for anything except for close in, back up work. I've shot a few of them and to me, a 4" group at 100 yards just doesn't cut it, not to mention that kudu-of-a-lifetime that shows himself at 300 yards. jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jorge:
Take whatever you are comfortable with and forget the rest. I would LOVE to own a double just to hunt elephants with, but just to give you some perspective, I can't see using a double for anything except for close in, back up work. I've shot a few of them and to me, a 4" group at 100 yards just doesn't cut it, not to mention that kudu-of-a-lifetime that shows himself at 300 yards. jorge

Jorge, I can tell from experience, if that Kudu shows up at 300 yds while Tony is carrying that little 9.3X74R double, he's in trouble! Wink

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
jorge
I have actually killed a Kudu at a little over 300 yards.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
NE450No2,

Are you saying that Blasers are good enough for other guys to use, but for yourself you insist on vintage English double rifles? Wink

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote