Find
Notify
Tools

Hunting books on Africa
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Giraffe Hunter
posted
Just wondering what your thoughts are regarding the best books to read on African hunting. I have just finished Horn of the Hunter by Robert ruark and am currently reading African game trails by Theodore Roosevelt.

I have ordered Pondoro and was considering the books written by Bunny Allen. Bunnys first two books (First Wheel & Second Wheel) were limited to 1000 copies and are between $160-$200 each. Has anyone read these books and would it be worth buying copies of these to add to my collection?

What are some of the books you consider best to read and what ones should I avoid?

Thanks

Posts: 286 | Location: Corning, NY | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
I enjoyed the Ruark ook, but not TR's. Tony Sanchez-Arino's written a couple of good ones, I really liked Elgin Gates' Trophy Hunter in Africa, Boddington's book Search For The Spiral Horn, of course all the Capstick books, Something of Value is another. I'm not at home so I can't think of many more. Do however, stay away from "True At First Light", the supposed last book by Hemingway. THAT was terrible. It's one long run-on sentence. jorge

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
I just finished "Use Enough Gun" by Ruark and loved it. I am reading one by Kiramajo Bell about his elephant exploits right now and it is another good choice.

Posts: 3155 | Location: Rigby, ID | Registered: 20 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One of my favorite writers is Peter Flack. I have two of his books Heart of an Africian Hunter (my favorite) and Tales of a Trophy Hunter in Africa. Peter is a native of RSA but has hunted the entire continent. He receintely edited a book with Craig Boddington - Africian Hunter II also very good, I haven't finished it as it is also a good reference book with stories from many PH's from Gregor Woods to Geoff Broom to Tony Dyer. It covers 25 countries with over 600 color photos and over 600 pages. for $135 a must for any Africian hunter in my opionion - no I don't get any commission. I am also reading Fragments of Africa by Gordon Cundill and it is very enjoyable.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
Be sure to get your own copies of Craig Boddington's "Safari Rifles", and "African Hunter II". Also James Mellon's classic, "African Hunter". I could name scores of superb books, but these are foundational in my opinion, as is Robertson's, "The Perfect Shot".

You'll find it interesting to compare Mellon's thirty year-old "AH" to Boddington's "AHII". You'll see that Africa has changed a lot in one generation, yet much is still the same!

Other personal favorites: "Last Of The Few" by Tony Sanchez-Arino~, "Horned Death", by Burger, and "Trophy Hunter In Africa", by Elgin Gates.

AD

one of us
posted Hide Post
FYI, there is a reprint of Allen�s �Wheel of Life� on sale at Safari Press (www.safaripress.com) for $24.95. Lots of other titles discounted as well.

There are two compilations of short stories by Ruark �Use Enough Gun� and �Lost Classics�. Be sure to try "Uhuru" (spelling?) and "Something of Value", the best of the novels by Ruark. If your interested there are two recent books about Ruark one called "Someone of Value" by Terry Whelend.

For a taste of the �old Africa� try �Adventures of an Elephant Hunter� by Sutherland, �Hunting the Elephant in East Equatorial Africa� (I think) by Neumenan (one of my favorites), �Karamoja Safari� and �Bell of Africa� by WDM Bell. As you probably know there are several other titles by John Taylor.

Funny how tastes differ, I find anything by Boddington stupefying although his books are good �staff work� before an African trip.

Best regards;
Brett

one of us
posted Hide Post
Any of F.C. Selous' books, and I really do like C.H. Stingand's "Hunting the elephant in Africa."

Posts: 262 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 09 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I really like J.A. Hunter. When I go through my shelves looking for a re-read I always pick up one of his.

Posts: 176 | Location: Tulsa, OK | Registered: 17 December 2002Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
There are many recommendations on our Books Forum

I am sure you will find a number of interesting books there.

Posts: 68679 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bunny Allen's books are terribly written and mostly involve how great Bunny was. Personally I'd save your money.

Posts: 659 | Location: "The Muck", NJ | Registered: 10 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Why do I get an "Access Denied" message when I try to access the link you provided, Saeed?

Posts: 853 | Location: St. Thomas, Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 08 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I thought Mark Sullivan's book "Death and Double Rifles" was fantastic. I know a lot of people do not like him, but this book is well worth reading.

White Hunters-Brian Herne

Safari- Bartle Bull (Bartle Bull is in the video "In the Blood". He is the attorney from New York.

Out in Africa-Andrew Holmberg

Posts: 9486 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Poster: Giraffe Hunter:
Just wondering what your thoughts are regarding the best books to read on African hunting. I have just finished Horn of the Hunter by Robert ruark and am currently reading African game trails by Theodore Roosevelt.
.......<snip>........
What are some of the books you consider best to read and what ones should I avoid?
Thanks

Giraffe Hunter,

Since you have read Horn of the Hunter by Ruark, and are working on African Game Trails by TR, then don't forget the other major work by an American concerning going on a safari: Green Hills of Africa by Ernest Hemingway. I'm not a huge Hemingway fan but I did enjoy the book. I liked Horn of the Hunter better, but the Hemingway book is good.

Also, it's worth reading for the historical tie with Ruark. Philip Percival was Hemingway's PH (or back then White Hunter). For a time, Harry Selby worked for Percival and Selby was, as you know, the PH for Ruark.

-Bob F.

Posts: 3485 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 22 February 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I have no idea!

It is a link to one of our forums. If you cannot get to it directly, just scroll down on the main forum poge and you will see a forum for Books Of Interest.

Posts: 68679 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote