New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dealing With Heat While on Safari
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
really good info, would like to add just a little info,,, take a bandanna or hand towel that you can wet and put under your cap to add evaporative cooling to the head region,,, I use a Tilley brand wide brim vented hat that I can wet and do the same.
The next point is you have to stay ahead of the dehydration. If you know you are going to be in the heat begin drinking "extra" fluids at breakfast and keep drinking, if you wait till you feel "thirsty" it is to late, you are behind on the hydration. You should be able to void urine at least every 2-3 hours at a minimum. And as mentioned, it should be fairly clear.
Many hunters are on Hypertensive meds that include diuretics,,, once again, us old guys and adding electrolyte replacement to our hunt is a necesity. Most of us think we are in good shape and may train before going but in the field situations can be brutal. If you think you are drinking enough fluids,, drink more...

you can make more money, you can not make more time

Posts: 786 | Location: Mexia Texas | Registered: 07 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have real issues with the cap/hat/heat thing. I get really overheated sometimes when I wear something covering my head, so I just have to keep an eye on it and take it off every once in awhile.

I'm going to look into the frogg-togg thing. I always keep a small container of wipees in the cooler. You can wipe that on your neck after a stalk and feel instantly cooler.

Posts: 659 | Location: Texas | Registered: 28 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of G L Krause
posted Hide Post
When I was over there I found the NUUN Active Hydration Tablets easier to use than the powdered packs, especially with bottled water. I would just drop two of them into a newly opened water bottle and everything was done, even while walking along. They were easy to carry, sugar-free and came in a few different flavors.

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do; nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do; I envy him, and him only, that kills bigger deer than I do." Izaak Walton (modified)

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gotogirl3:
I have real issues with the cap/hat/heat thing. I get really overheated sometimes when I wear something covering my head, so I just have to keep an eye on it and take it off every once in awhile.

Take a look at the ugly but perfect for hot weather hunting straw ball caps offered by Browning. See my photos on this thread. The caps make a huge difference compared to cloth ball caps.

Here is a link: http://www.browning.com/produc...A027&cattype=308106G

Those NUUN Active Hydration Tablets look like a great addition. Compact, readily carriable and so accessible while on tracks. Great idea.

Here is a link: http://www.nuun.com/

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Just how fruit would it be if one just took their Mother to look over them, dressed in a sombrero and cargo shorts, of course, and the side pockets full of electrolyte tablets?.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19358 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
This is how I hunt with Buzz in the heat. Very relaxing. With Charlton McCallum customer service is the name of the game.

Mike

Posts: 21655 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
This is how I hunt with Buzz in the heat. Very relaxing. With Charlton McCallum customer service is the name of the game.

Very nice -- but does Will approve? bewildered

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Of course Will approves, he is the guy in the photo with the sleeveless shirt.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SBT:

Sorry, didn't recognize him in the turban

Cool

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
quote:
This is how I hunt with Buzz in the heat.
Thats a great picture! Do you shoot from inside there Mike? If so, that might solve all the problems.

Speaking of which, Will, I think Scott actually intends to get beyond site distance of the truck to shoot his elefant.

Which reminds me...Scott, talk to your PH about his use of radios and the vehicle. The guys I've hunted with were able to shave off many miles of walking back to the truck by having their driver meet us. Buzz, being the clever guy that he is, is particularly adept at this. It does not necessarily mean that you'll walk less, assuming you can make good use of the extra time, but the time spend walking should be more productive. Plus, the sprint back to the truck sort of sucks.

And if you do bring your Mom, she can stay in the truck. Big Grin

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Do you mean sight?

Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Now that I look at that pic more closely, I believe that is Mum in the basket stretcher. Thanks.

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Charles_Helm:
quote:

Sorry, didn't recognize him in the turban

Cool

He's trying to emulate his hero, John Taylor.

Let's just be glad that Mike didn't post the other photo where Will has stripped naked for the final stalk. Taylor's influence on Will crosses the line at times.
Eeker

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
I'd recommend a wide brimmed hat rather than a baseball cap. The caps leave the back of your neck and the tops of your ears unprotected and sunburn there (esp on the tops of the ears) hurts like hell.

If you have a ventilated hat make very sure you buy one with very small holes cos if a tsetse fly gets in there that also hurts like hell.

These links might help:

http://www.shakariconnection.com/safari-hats.html

http://www.shakariconnection.c...lth-before-hunt.html

http://www.shakariconnection.c...lth-during-hunt.html

http://www.shakariconnection.c...alth-after-hunt.html

One of Us
Picture of Vanderhoef
posted Hide Post
I'd agree with the idea that a hat actually causes an increase in heat, at least for me anyway. I run a lot in the heat and the only thing that I find that works is a bandana soaked in water and worn as a "do-rag". Looks dumb as hell but it sure keeps me cool on those long runs in 100 degree heat. I've not tried all variations of the ball cap but so far they've all proved intolerable.

Amazing how we can blather on about the simplest of things, though, isn't it Big Grin

Have a great hunt and don't forget the report!!

Regards,
Scott

"....but to protest against all hunting of game is a sign of softness of head, not of soundness of heart."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 466 | Location: Just west of Cleo, TX | Registered: 20 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ivan carter
posted Hide Post
quote:

i thought that was buzz in the chair the valley heat has been hard on him dancing

"The greatest threat to our wildlife is the thought that someone else will save it”

www.facebook.com/ivancartersafrica

www.ivancarterwca.org
www.ivancarter.com
ivan@ivancarter.com

Posts: 1201 | Location: South Africa  | Registered: 04 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ivan carter:
quote:

i thought that was buzz in the chair the valley heat has been hard on him dancing

Ssssshhhhhhhhhhh! That is supposed to be a secret, can't you see he is trying to hide his face with the hood. He was dehydrated from a lack of Lion Lager.

Mike

Posts: 21655 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Thanks you guys for all your tips. The things that really helped out were the Frog Tog hydration towel, the o2cool fan, body glide and plenty of water with powdered gatoraide early on and througout the day.

For a hat, I just used my lucky Adventure Unlimited ball cap with lots of suncreen on my ears and neck.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
It is going to be 100 degrees plus while hunting elephants next month in Zimbabwe. A question I've never been able to figure out has to do with wearing a hat in high heat. If it is true the majority of body heat is lost through the head and that is why you wear a hat in winter, why am I being told to wear a hat while hunting in hot temperatures?

Any tips for hunting in extreme heat other than staying hydrated and add Gatorade powder to my water?

My guess is the the men with little to no hair need the hat. Best advice, keep hydrated.

Posts: 5713 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote