Find
Notify
Tools

5 Days and a wake up
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Gundog 64
posted
My wife and I are leaving Sat Sept. 2 for Zimbabwe. This is going to be our first vacation in 4 years, and our first trip to Africa. I'm starting realize how excited we both are. It's getting harder to sleep at night and work is only a distraction. Thanks to all here who have added to the information availible on the forum for everyone's benefit. We will be hunting with Mokore for 10 days all booked through Mark Young and Gracey travel. It has been a painless ( with the exception of writing endless checks, LOL) experience. My wife has put a lot of effort into shooting with her rifle, firing over 900 rounds in practice and getting pretty good with it. I will do my best at a hunt report when we get back. Again Thank You to everyone here.
John

Posts: 793 | Location: MI | Registered: 26 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would suggest getting a copy of birds found in Zimbabwe. We did not have one and it was the first thing I bought in preparation for my second trip. Best of luck and safe travels!

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Your gonna have a great time.Enjoy!

Posts: 124 | Location: Hickory, PA | Registered: 13 May 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Have fun and take lots of photos. Even the mundane things will bring back memories later.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12695 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
900 rounds!
I assume the Mrs. will hunt while you stay in camp. With all that practice she's a dead shot by now.
Best of luck to you. I hunted Makore in 1997 and just returned from Zim a month ago. My prediction--you will go again!
Cheers,
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
John,

You guys will love Sengwa. Hope you are bring plenty of ammo.

Cheers,

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As Cal said...'First of several'! Returned two weeks ago from a wonderful trip in Zim. Ready to return!!

Wish you and Ms the best..safe travels...and soak it ALL in. Enjoy the fire pit. ;-)

Skip Nantz

Posts: 539 | Location: SouthEast, KY | Registered: 09 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hunted with the Duckworths in Sengwa in 2013, the first year they had it. You will have a fabulous time. It is such a beautiful camp and they will pamper you. On cold nights, they put hot water bottles in your bed to warm it up before you got in. Have a great time and looking forward to the report.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gundog 64:
My wife and I are leaving Sat Sept. 2 for Zimbabwe. This is going to be our first vacation in 4 years, and our first trip to Africa. I'm starting realize how excited we both are. It's getting harder to sleep at night and work is only a distraction. Thanks to all here who have added to the information availible on the forum for everyone's benefit. We will be hunting with Mokore for 10 days all booked through Mark Young and Gracey travel. It has been a painless ( with the exception of writing endless checks, LOL) experience. My wife has put a lot of effort into shooting with her rifle, firing over 900 rounds in practice and getting pretty good with it. I will do my best at a hunt report when we get back. Again Thank You to everyone here.
John

You will have a blast. I hunted Mokore in July and took my Mom along. I need to write a report one of these days.

The Duckworth's run an excellent camp. Once you get to Zim everything will be taken care off. You hunting save or sengwa ?

Who is your PH?

Take plenty of pictures and make sure you if you hunting save to go out one night and play the jukebox to call in the predators.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Take a notebook or journal. Each evening just bullet points on what happened, what you saw, meals, names of trackers, .can help to organize photos,
Best advice, just enjoy the beauty and majesty of Africa

Larry

Posts: 375 | Location: Atlanta.GA | Registered: 07 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gundog 64
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E:

You will have a blast. I hunted Mokore in July and took my Mom along. I need to write a report one of these days.

The Duckworth's run an excellent camp. Once you get to Zim everything will be taken care off. You hunting save or sengwa ?

Who is your PH?

Take plenty of pictures and make sure you if you hunting save to go out one night and play the jukebox to call in the predators.

Mike

Mike,
We are hunting Sengwa and our PH is Doug Duckworth. I just cannot describe how excited we both are. Dealing with work and family matters has put our entire lives on hold for so long that we decided that an out of the ordinary vacation was in order. I think we have made the right choices of; where, with whom, and when for this trip. Thanks to Mark Young for all of his help and answering a constant barrage of questions.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You have made the right choice, Mark, Sadie and the Duckworth crew will take good care of you. You will have a great hunt with Doug. Sit back, relax and take it all in. What animals will you be going after?

Posts: 1018 | Location: Imperial, NE | Registered: 05 January 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Newman's or Roberts' Birds, also available as an app.

quote:
Originally posted by LJS:
I would suggest getting a copy of birds found in Zimbabwe. We did not have one and it was the first thing I bought in preparation for my second trip. Best of luck and safe travels!

One of Us
Picture of Gundog 64
posted Hide Post
We ordered the book, trying to leave the cell phones alone while we are there.
Thanks for the heads up as I would not have thought of it.
quote:
Originally posted by Barry Groulx:
Newman's or Roberts' Birds, also available as an app.

quote:
Originally posted by LJS:

One of Us
Picture of Gundog 64
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gale Johnson:
You have made the right choice, Mark, Sadie and the Duckworth crew will take good care of you. You will have a great hunt with Doug. Sit back, relax and take it all in. What animals will you be going after?

Gale,
The wife wants an Impala, and my favorite is a Waterbuck. After those two, whatever the hunt brings us.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tell Doug you want to track down a big old Eland Bull, that way you can stretch your legs and get to see some of the finest tracker's on earth doing there thing. When you come up on that big Blue Bull with a muddy and hairy ruff it will be worth the trip right there.

Posts: 1018 | Location: Imperial, NE | Registered: 05 January 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLJ
posted Hide Post
Enjoy and soak up every minute. My brother Gale and I spent last Sept. on Mokore with the Duckworths and Doug was my PH. First class people, hunt, camp, food, ...... Should be set for a trip of a lifetime. Take pictures of everything, and lots of them. After your trip, your favorites probably won't be hunting photos. If you take a few pics every day with your phone, it makes it real easy to send friends and family daily updates on a group WhatsApp chat. I'm not a journal guy, but you need to take a few notes every night. It's hard to believe, but things start to blur and facts get unclear about day 7 or 8. You will not want to forget one thing. Our food was amazing. I'm a picky eater, and after day 2 I just quit asking what we were eating. I just planned on it being even better than the last. If Neil is in camp, do not turn your back on an Eland fillet. Gary can instruct you on the proper way to eat a fresh roll. Doug and the crew will get it done for you. Trust what he says. Your in good hands!

Enjoy your trip
Daniel Johnson

Posts: 36 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 01 October 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gundog 64
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DLJ:
Enjoy and soak up every minute. My brother Gale and I spent last Sept. on Mokore with the Duckworths and Doug was my PH. First class people, hunt, camp, food, ...... Should be set for a trip of a lifetime. Take pictures of everything, and lots of them. After your trip, your favorites probably won't be hunting photos. If you take a few pics every day with your phone, it makes it real easy to send friends and family daily updates on a group WhatsApp chat. I'm not a journal guy, but you need to take a few notes every night. It's hard to believe, but things start to blur and facts get unclear about day 7 or 8. You will not want to forget one thing. Our food was amazing. I'm a picky eater, and after day 2 I just quit asking what we were eating. I just planned on it being even better than the last. If Neil is in camp, do not turn your back on an Eland fillet. Gary can instruct you on the proper way to eat a fresh roll. Doug and the crew will get it done for you. Trust what he says. Your in good hands!

Enjoy your trip
Daniel Johnson

Daniel,
Thank you, we will be leaving for the airport in an hour just finishing some last details. Had some friends ask me if I was excited and I could not even put it into words.
John