New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is COVID worse than Malaria?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Seems to me about the same. You could get it on a hunting trip. It could be fatal. Yet we all went hunting and hoped for the best. Why is COVID that different?

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2932 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
From a general perspective, Malaria kills 800,000 to a million a year.... every year. CV-19 is the new guy so there is much still to learn.

From a tourist perspective, one can avoid Malaria areas or simply take an effective, and time proven prophylactic to help protect you. However, almost anyone can be a carrier of CV-19, so avoiding it is pretty difficult if you are out and about. Further, there is no current vaccine or prophylactic to help protect you. If you're in the CV-19 risk group, you stand a far better chance of having serious complications (including death) from CV-19 vs Malaria.

So, yes, CV-19 can pose a far greater danger for tourists than Malaria. At the end of the day, everyone must assess their risk and conduct themselves accordingly.

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Russ Gould:
Seems to me about the same. You could get it on a hunting trip. It could be fatal. Yet we all went hunting and hoped for the best. Why is COVID that different?

There are protections against Malaria.

No protection that I know against the Chink Virus!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68668 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Plus 1 for Saeed, ONe can live with Malaria, even in the bush, not so with covid, no treatment as yet..flip a coin, you live or die, end of story...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42156 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Death rates from covid-19 here in the USA.

https://www.statista.com/stati...h-rates-us-by-state/

Most of my money I spent on hunting and fishing. The rest I just wasted

Posts: 261 | Location: Saint Thomas, Pennsylvania | Registered: 14 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It isn't. If you are under 65 it is no more deadly than influenza and you don't see people cowering at home every flu season.

For my age with no underlying conditions the infection fatality rate is approximately 0.0092%. So it is more like you flip 10,000 coins before you get a bad case that causes death.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nmhunter4life:
It isn't. If you are under 65 it is no more deadly than influenza and you don't see people cowering at home every flu season.

For my age with no underlying conditions the infection fatality rate is approximately 0.0092%. So it is more like you flip 10,000 coins before you get a bad case that causes death.
Completely correct Sir!

Posts: 1878 | Location: Prairieville,Louisiana, USA | Registered: 09 October 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One quick glance at sci shows little difference between sci and aarp convention.

The African hunting crowd is 55 plus.

Covid impacts Africa hunting far more than says spear fishing or mountain climbing.

Besides malaria never shut down air travel or international travel.

Waiting for a vaccine and hoping for 2021 travel.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Mike

+1

Posts: 2624 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Waiting for opening and I’m over 55
We probably have better chance to get killed hunting buffs and jumbos then die from Gook virus

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boarkiller:
We probably have better chance to get killed hunting buffs and jumbos then die from Gook virus

I am not sure about that:
Do you have any underlying medical conditions. Many Covid patients are learning that they have some conditions that they did not know about.
1. Cancer or are being treated for cancer
2. Kidney disease
3. COPD
4. Obesity being over weight, very few on here hit the new weight chart used
5. Heart condition - like coronary artery disease
6. Diabetes
7. Asthma
8. Liver Disease
9. Smoking
10. Older Adults over 55
11. Mental Disorder... Gee most could be there, fretting on not getting to Africa, like right now.

8 of 10 deaths in the USA have been adults 65 years old and older. You miss the big group, however not by much and you are still in the elevated age bracket.

I am sure that I have missed some identifiers. However, the more boxes you check the greater your chances of having complications.

Just read a few of the 20's somethings who are not doing well and thought they were bullet proof from the virus. And you how old and think your bullet proof from the virus.

I would rather be in the USA for treatment if I become a covid patient than in some African country. Hunting can take place another year, or do you only have a few months to live and going to Africa is on your bucket list.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"You've got the strongest hand in the world. That's right. Your hand. The hand that marks the ballot. The hand that pulls the voting lever. Use it, will you" John Wayne

Posts: 1626 | Location: West River at Heart | Registered: 08 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwana338:
quote:
Originally posted by boarkiller:

I am not sure about that:
Do you have any underlying medical conditions. Many Covid patients are learning that they have some conditions that they did not know about.
1. Cancer or are being treated for cancer
2. Kidney disease
3. COPD
6. Diabetes
7. Asthma
8. Liver Disease
9. Smoking
10. Older Adults over 55
11. Mental Disorder... Gee most could be there, fretting on not getting to Africa, like right now.

8 of 10 deaths in the USA have been adults 65 years old and older. You miss the big group, however not by much and you are still in the elevated age bracket.

I am sure that I have missed some identifiers. However, the more boxes you check the greater your chances of having complications.

Just read a few of the 20's somethings who are not doing well and thought they were bullet proof from the virus. And you how old and think your bullet proof from the virus.

I would rather be in the USA for treatment if I become a covid patient than in some African country. Hunting can take place another year, or do you only have a few months to live and going to Africa is on your bucket list.

+1

The USMC is 25 years old and great shape. Run covid thru USMC is like running the flu thru it.

Running covid thru sci membership list or ar members would be akin to a death march.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I am 70 and as soon as I can, I will be heading to Tanzania.

One only lives once, and dies once.

If I got scared of a few things in the past, my life would not have been as much fun as it has!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68668 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Ain't gonna happen.

Posts: 2035 | Registered: 06 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

These are the 2 main ones responsible for a quick departure.

Posts: 2035 | Registered: 06 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
If travel were to straighten out and quarantines go away with no potential for return...I would go this fall. My biggest fear is being trapped in some sort of quarantine or travel ban.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37790 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
If travel were to straighten out and quarantines go away with no potential for return...I would go this fall. My biggest fear is being trapped in some sort of quarantine or travel ban.

And getting stuck is a real possibility as areas are opening and closing based on the whims of the governments.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Opus1:
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:

And getting stuck is a real possibility as areas are opening and closing based on the whims of the governments.

Exactly the reason I likely won’t go for a while...until the hysteria is quelled a bit and sanity (as best it occurs in the 21st century) returns.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37790 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am 66 and pretty healthy. Treated hypertension is all.
My risk is a little increased, sure, but with my age and the clock ticking what is the risk of waiting? Failing health and not being able to do a physical hunt. The risk of waiting is not getting back to a place that had become an important part of my life.
Next year is pretty full with all the cancelled hunts, and 22 is not far behind.
Add to that the unknowables, like how many operators will not survive this thing.

Posts: 1981 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I always took the advice of others to "Go while you can-physically and financially" over the years. Glad that I did the 15 Safaris prior to COVID. It seems that with each Safari there was some reason that could have kept me from going-work, family, milestones, etc. But, I choose to go and now at least I have all of those memories. Life is too short to make it full of regrets rather than good positive experiences and memories.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
2011 in Mozambique, my PH came down with Malaria while guiding my safari. Absolutely kicked his ass: gut-wrenching vomiting, and he was flat on his back for 3 days.

85-95+% of Covid cases range between "no medical attention needed" and "I didn't even know I had anything."

So I'll take the Covid and a side of antibodies.

I'm not in the 'high risk' group. And knowing what I know about the media, my guess is I might as well cancel safari travel because 'there might be lightning in October.'

Posts: 447 | Location: CA.  | Registered: 26 October 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a number of PHs over the years that told me that they would occasionally come down with what they described as "the flu" for a number of days. My guess was that it was a Malaria spell. Anything that is called the flu in Africa is likely a Malaria attack.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I don't think I'm obese, but I might be too short for my weight.
kh

Posts: 247 | Location: Round Rock, Texas | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
rotflmo

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have had Malaria, Lyme and COVID. For me Lyme was by far the worst and most debilitating. Pest borne disease can be easily avoided - don’t go into malarial areas, or the woods. Covid - you have to avoid others of the human species.

We will learn to live with and manage Covid, but until we do ir will hugely impact human kind either economically or by a very high death rate.

Posts: 985 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 28 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ummm has anyone ever said you're unlucky? Cool

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
The thing about COVID-19 that is so different and worrisome is its randomness.

Some people get it and die, and others test positive and don’t even know they have it.

And none of us can know how it will affect him or those he loves.

All thanks to the bat-eating Chinese and their communist government.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13623 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Baker458:

I'm not in the 'high risk' group. And knowing what I know about the media, my guess is I might as well cancel safari travel because 'there might be lightning in October.'

You may not be but there are

16 mil. Cancer survivors
34 mil. Diabetics
30 mil. Heart diseases patients
48 mil. Americans older than 65

I have not added all the other high risk groups and there is for sure over lap in the above group.

Still god awful lot of people in the at risk category. Nothing travel wise will open up with at risk group this big.

Getting to and form African may be very difficult endeavor till there is a vaccine.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
I haven't subscribed to any of the "rescue" insurance programs, other than when my father went with me to Africa in 2008. I bought a trip term policy for him. I gambled on myself being 31, but he was 66 and in relatively bad health. He has been in healthcare facilities since January 25, but home now, yet confined to a hospital bed. I am glad we went then. We did go to Argentina a few times since.

My question, though, is whether Global Rescue, RipCord, etc. are even offering policies or honoring pre-existing policies now. I am sure they all have certain clauses against pandemics, but maybe not.

Has anyone asked? Any international travel ban would trump the contract, but have members/policy holders been notified of such? I doubt they are writing policies now.

In the same vein, what about when things went to hell in western Africa?

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3453 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The thing about COVID-19 that is so different and worrisome is its randomness.

Some people get it and die, and others test positive and don’t even know they have it.

This is what bothers, concerns and baffles me the most. One of my sons tested positive. He felt bad (chills and achy) for one day, went for a test and stayed home. Test was positive, but by the time he found that out he was already feeling fine. He's working from home with, apparently, no other symptoms. However, if I went over to his house and caught the Wuhan Flu I could just flat out die because I'm over 65 and maybe maybe a touch overweight. I know the odds are very low. I get that. But the uncertainty is still there.
All things considered, I choose malaria.
kh

Posts: 247 | Location: Round Rock, Texas | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I have a friend that contracted malaria when in Nam. Periodically he gets a recurring bout but it doesn't last long. I have a customer who got covide about 2 months ago but got over it. He said it's the worst he's ever felt. There were no periods of relief over the 2 week period. I know everyone handles sickness differently but that should tell you something right there.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote