New
Find
Notify
Tools

Another Zimbabwe weather question
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What should the weather be like in Zim in the first part of August????

Posts: 42341 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of David Hulme
posted Hide Post
Windy, with still a bit of a chill in the evenings and mornings. If you are fortunate, the days will be clear. They are most of the time, but sometimes the wind will bring in some cloud.

From your local weatherman, here on the ground in Chiredzi...

Dave

Posts: 2270 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 28 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you Sir. Contrary to where I have lived all my life ( Texas Gulf Coast), I do cold much better than hot!

Posts: 42341 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of David Hulme
posted Hide Post
It won't be cold, as such. Zimbabwe cold is not really cold, as I am informed by many of your countrymen. It will be a bit chilly in the mornings, but may get pretty hot as the day progresses. Best of luck on your hunt. I'm sure I'll be wishing you luck a few more times before you depart.

Dave

one of us
posted Hide Post
I hunted there during the second week of August.There were also a group I met that were in camp with me and were already there for two weeks.I spend all my time there in a short sleeve shirt.I was the first hunter out of bed in the morning and made my way to the fire that the staff had going by the dining area.Five minutes by the fire was all it took to get me through the day.In the afternoon things would get warm but never hot.The temperature would get to around 28.The group that was there told me that there was a big difference in temperature during the three week period they stayed.It would get warmer and warmer,especially during the morning.I recall that everyone was cold during the morning and kept on asking me why I was not feeling cold like they were.I told them that I was too excited to feel cold.It was fun lighting the candle in the middle of the night to go take a piss.I suggest that you take a light sweater along or a thick sweater and a tuque if you want to ride in back of the landcruiser early in the mornung.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
The only months I have been in Zimbabwe have been the months of August and september. I have made 8 trips there during this period the last few staying the entire 2 months there. I have had it so cold that in camp in daytime you had to get in the bed in the tent to stay warm. That's by cold by any standards but by the same measurement I have had it be t-shirt weather. To me they are the best months because those are the ones I have spent there. But it DOES get cold and in late August it CAN get hot. I currently live in southern Arizona and the weather there is remarkably like the weather here just seasons reversed. I moved to Arizona from western Pennsylvania (Pittsgugh area) so do have a passing understanding of what is cold.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of David Hulme
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zimbabwe:
The only months I have been in Zimbabwe have been the months of August and september. I have made 8 trips there during this period the last few staying the entire 2 months there. I have had it so cold that in camp in daytime you had to get in the bed in the tent to stay warm. That's by cold by any standards but by the same measurement I have had it be t-shirt weather. To me they are the best months because those are the ones I have spent there. But it DOES get cold and in late August it CAN get hot. I currently live in southern Arizona and the weather there is remarkably like the weather here just seasons reversed. I moved to Arizona from western Pennsylvania (Pittsgugh area) so do have a passing understanding of what is cold.

This is the best advice. Not really the weatherman I thought I was eh? What Zimbabwe says is 100% - be prepared for cold and the heat...

Dave

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Never been to Zim, but getting ready for my first trip to the Selous, everyone told me "shirt sleeve weather and hot; no need for anything warm." Having practically frozen to death in Namibia in the past, I took a sweater anyway, and was very glad I did. I'm from the Texas Gulf Coast as you are.

Posts: 10307 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you go to www.msn.com and click on "weather," you can get the forecast for several days for Victoria Falls. I suspect you can get it for other cities as well.

Indy

Life is short. Hunt hard.