Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Talley Mfg.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Rusty

I am quite confident this pair of Wbys will bed OK. They are fine for windage but cant tell about vertical with the stock on. But I was curious in general about lapping/bedding the Talley rings.

Weatherby is promoting them and one of the reasons is because they have them matching their rifles bluing. I think I will ring Kevin Nunes in the custom shop and ask him....what I probably should have done in the first place. He knows if these 378s are OK then a pair of 30/378s will be ordered from the custom shop so he should steer me right.

Mike

Posts: 7206 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike,

I don't like Talley's design at all. The ring is split at the top and it looks wrong. Not only that but the top is open and stays open. These mounts are crude in finish. The name "Talley" is just stamped on the side like a Mossburg. If you have seen the quality of Beuhlers or Conetrol then you know what a fine finish is. The old Beuhlers used shims that had fine blued outsides to keep those top rings sealed and good looking.

The Talley bases are high so it's just about impossible to see iron sights over them and the scopes end up too high also.

The Talley rings are some of the worse I have seen for scratching scope tubes. If you do use them bend the rings open a little before you touch your scope with a ring.

The previous posts about Talleys prompt service are correct.

I have them on a Kimber 8400 because they are better than the old Redfield style mounts that Kimber provides. When I can finally get Weaver style bases for the 8400 they will go in the drawer.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
I have Talley's on a couple of my rifles and like the look. Fit and finish no worse than Leupold. I did notice a few years ago (2 or 3) that over half the custom guns in the Leupold catalog had Leupold scopes sitting in Talley rings and bases. No problems with mounting. I have detachables on one rifle with no change in zero after removing and re-attaching the scope.

Posts: 3108 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BOWHUNR
posted Hide Post
Rusty,

I agree 100%!! Gary is one of the finest people I have ever dealt with.

BOWHUNR

Posts: 636 | Location: Omaha, NE U.S.A. | Registered: 28 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rusty,

I need some input on Talleys.

I have a pair of 378s from the Wby custom shop waiting at the gunshop for my gun law paper work to clear. The Australian Wby agent carry the Talleys for Wby with the W scrolled on the side. They are $300US a set. A bit of bullshit I guess but so are the rifles so that is not a problem.

BUT, I don't want screw and glue Talley bases on and then discover I need some other mount such as Leupold etc. for the obvious reasons of bluing etc.

My concern is the vertical split rings in terms of bedding and /or lapping. I like the look of them but I have never even seen a set of Talleys in the flesh.

Any comments on how you see the Talleys on pros and cons etc.

Thanks

Mike

Posts: 7206 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Savage,
Actually, they have two springs. QD mounts.
For some reason or other those High bases and low rings seem to go together.

I'm sure you're right, they aren't what you need!

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thought I'd throw in my $0.02.

I needed a set of rings for a Rem M7 and needed them in a hurry. I called Talley, told them what I needed, and had them in my hand before I needed them. After all of the bad experiences I've had lately with D&R and HBE, they were a breath of fresh air. I was thoroughly impressed.

-Dan

Posts: 350 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: 30 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike,

Look at how high the bases are! They don't need to be that high. It must be that they only make one size, one color and one metal. Ray Atkinson likes the Talleys but he has not dug in on this one yet. I think he has the bases cut down to fit his front and rear bridges so they line up in the first place. A lot of receivers are way off and there is no adjustment in the Talleys.

The mount has a spring in it too. If it got wet it might rust inside.

It seems as if your having some pretty fancy Weatherby's made up. If that's so then most of my complaints about the Talleys can be taken care of by a smith or Weatherby.

On the other hand Talley is one of the only games in town for the Kimber 84M's and 8400's.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Savage99

Yes, they are through the custom shop and they have arrived at the Wby agent and are now at the gunshop wating for the paper work. The bluing on them is like a Mark V deluxe taken up another stage. They also have the all steel bottom metal.

My gut feeling is that I will probably end up with Leupold dual dovetails.

You are right, the Talleys look to be high.

Actually, I am pretty condident that their will be no misalignment with mounts. Wby has two basic custom systems. The stuff like Crown Customs etc are just basically decorated rifles that are catologue items. Then the other system is a more personalised deal and Kenin Nunes told me he checked the rilfes for scope mount alignment.

As a side note and leaving to one side any pros and cons on Wby rifles once you move to their personalised system the service etc is way out in front of Winchester custom or Dakota. Although to be fair to Dakota they don't have the import agency setup in Australia and that all makes things a bit hard and as a result probably drops off any potetntial enthusiasm they might have.

Mike

one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
I didn't know what height of bases and rings I needed for a Mauser. I sent in the money for a set and called Talley to ask about it.

Talley sent me TWO sets and only asked that I send back the one that I didn't want.

That was very trusting of Talley considering that I had never ordered anything from them before and had only sent the money for one set.

As an interesting aside, I found out that their father worked with the man that made my rifle years ago and perhaps had even worked on that rifle.

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rusty,

Getting the mounts is easy as the Weatherby agent carries them. Howver they are 600 miles from here so abit far to go and look at them. Those pictures Savage99 posted (thanks for that Savage) don't illustrated a very nicely finished mount. The cost is not a problem when weighed against the cost of the rifles and 378 cases

I have always liked the look of the profile of those Talley mounts. My only concern is if I uses them and they are not satisfactory is the receiver will be marked and will probably show up when other bases go on.

Probably best to wait to the new year when the people at Wby are fully back on board and contact them. Perhaps the Talleys made for Wby are much better finished and that is accounting for some of the cost.

Sometimes life would be so much simpler if a Ruger Stainless in 308 was the boat floater

Mike

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Here are my bases with the Talley peep in the rear base.

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I lap all of my scope rings and almost didn't do my Talleys just because they lined up so perfectly when I checked them with my scope alignment tool. I did use some 800 grit compound and twisting the lapping bar twice resulted in almost complete coverage of the rings so I stopped.

I had no difficulty in getting my rings and bases from Talleys, I called them up, asked them a bunch of stupid questions and three days later I was putting them on my gun.

Posts: 12695 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote