New
Find
Notify
Tools

Zimbabwe-Bubiana Conservancy
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Does anyone here have any information good or bad on Touch Africa Safaris in the Bubiana Conservancy operated by Darryl Collet?

Posts: 156 | Location: Brush Prairie, Washington | Registered: 04 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bisonhunter1
posted Hide Post
JimD,
Have not hunted with them, but in the past 3 weeks at 2 differrent outdoor shows Ive spoken with Jonathan Collet of the same Touch Africa Safaris. He was hosted in abooth at the Puyallup and Portland shows this year by Terry Wagner of Terry Wagner World Wide Hunting. I got good vibes from Jonathan, and Terry is the booking agent who set up my first African Africa trip back in 2003 to SA and Nambia where I collected 12 animals on the 19 day trip. TAS rates are pretty good for plains game, tho Im amazed at the steep increase in daily rate fees when one goes after any of the big 5 from ANY of the Zimbabwe safari camps. Im hoping to do another africa trip in 2008 and TAS is on my list for consideration for a outfitter on that trip, which will be for plains game again. Don't know if that really answered your Q. Good hunting. Willi

Posts: 576 | Location: Post Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Willi,
Thanks for the input. I searched this sight for TAS and Terry Wagner but didn't come up with much. I talked with Jonathan at length at the Portland show. I'm saving for my first trip in 2008.
Was Terry a pretty good guy to deal with?
My brother thought the rates at TAS were a little high, as he went to Zimbabwe this spring. However, the camp he stayed in was pretty primitive compared to TAS's facilities. My wife plans to go along, so I've got to take the facilities into consideration.

Thanks for your input,

Jim

Posts: 156 | Location: Brush Prairie, Washington | Registered: 04 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bisonhunter1
posted Hide Post
JimD
Not sure how TAS rates compare to what your brother experienced, but from my own internet searches on other Zimbabwe outfiters I think TSA is pretty good, have only seen pictures of their facilities in the camps there. Yes, I would ahve to say Terry was a pretty good guy to deal with, everthign he told me was arranged worked out for my trip and he did all the customs and clearing stuff for my trophies once they were back here in the states from that trip too. I would use terry again without hesitation, in fact will probably do so about this time next year for my 2008 trip. After talking to Terry at many shows over the years, I had a one-on-one meeeting with him after the 2002 show season so there would be no distractions for others and had about a 3 page lsit of Q's for him at the dinner we had before finally commiting to my 2003 trip to Africa. Im sure he would do the same if asked. The only drawback I see to a Zim hunt is having to go through J-burg in SA to make flight connections, but neither Terry or TSA can do anything about flight connections. Good luck in whatever you decide.
Willi

Posts: 576 | Location: Post Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Willi,
Thanks for the info. I was unable to talk to Terry at all during the show- real busy as it can be at trade shows. Do you still have your list of questions?

Thanks,

Jim

One of Us
Picture of bisonhunter1
posted Hide Post
JimD,
no sorry I didn't keep my list of questions after I finished the trip. Most of the Q's were general in nature, or asking about more detail on how the trip(s) would go, and in particular asking about getting guns into Sa, etc, most of which has been addressed in this forum. If you want it might be better to talk about this "off-line" here either thru PM's (although Im still figureing some of the board features out) or on the phone. I can also get you Terry's phone number if you want.
Willi

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JimD:
Does anyone here have any information good or bad on Touch Africa Safaris in the Bubiana Conservancy operated by Darryl Collet?

JimD

msc, a member of this site has hunted with Jonathan and Daryl at their Majingwe Camp in the Bubiana on several occasions and has had good to great experiences. I will direct him to your post. I booked a hunt out of this camp in 2002 but had to cancel due to the situation in Zim at that time. I am rebooked this year in May and early June and will give you a full report when I return if you want. I booked both hunts with the Collicks using Russ Smith.

Posts: 2 | Location: Virginia, US | Registered: 27 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tom,

Much appreciated.

Jim

One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
I have not hunted with Touch Africa Safaris but did hunt at Bubiana quite a while ago.

Back then it was a nice area to hunt and also had elephant, black and white rhino in residence but no lion. Good numbers of plains game animals.

Of course it may have all changed since then.
Being private properties I wonder how or if the area and its "ownership" has changed at all?

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jim, as Tom stated I have hunted with the collett's on 3 occasions. Twice on Mjingwe in the Bubiana. First class camp and plenty of game. I have used Russ Smith Huning Worldwide to book my hunts. I can reccomend them without reservation for Leopard and plains game.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the information fellas.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gents,
My apologies for bring up an old topic.. I'd like to read some updated opinions of Touch Africa Safaris from some of the AR regulars who might have hunted with them in the more recent past.. I am looking heavily at a buffalo hunt with them this coming Oct with a possibility of a non export ele as well. My late season hunt with HHK is off now.
I've spoke at length with several references of them and have yet to hear of a "bad" experience as of yet. Jonathan Collett and his brother Dion are the Ph's/owners of the place.

Terry Wagner is offering a 'management" buff hunt on this property Mijingwe (30K acres within the Bubiana) for 10 full days at 7K. PG can be added on at TR only. These bulls they are aiming to take on this hunt are mid width bulls or 35-36", but mature and hard bossed. I'd also be adding a klipie, and maybe a hyena (we plan on seting out alot of baits in the hopes of such) onto my "wish list" in addition to the buff and hopefully ele. All high fenced within the Bubiana, but that is the only small neg. I see about the hunt and not a deal breaker IMO.

One of the best features of this hunt offered is the option of being able to bring a guest at no cost at all. Said guest can then hunt PG at TR only. That is a big selling point to me to be able to take a best bud on his 1st trip to Africa to a nice lodge, and be able to take a head or 2 for himself while there. This buddy of mine would otherwise never be able to go to Africa.

I've spoken at length with Terry Wagner and he seems to be an honest gent with a great offer with the outfit he represents.

Any AR regulars have any new input??

Here is their website.
http://www.touchafricasafaris.com/index.html

Thanks guys!

Posts: 2163 | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of megsdad
posted Hide Post
Steve Collett (Collett's Wildlife Artistry) in Bulawayo did my taxidermy work (2007 PG hunt w/John Sharp) and Terry Wagner handled the trophy clearance. All did a great job.

Posts: 104 | Location: so oregon | Registered: 07 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Also in the website I've seen very good prices fro group hunts

mario

Posts: 1421 | Location: northern italy | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote