Time to save our rhinos
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Alan Bunn
posted
Time to save our rhinos

Clare Louise Thomas
November 18th, 2010

At least 270 rhinos have been killed this year for their horns. Yes, 270. Where do we draw the line? When do we take a stand? What more does it take for us to get involved? The papers have been were littered with stories of poachers. It has now reached the stage where even the South African National Defence Force has been asked to assist.

This has gone to far. It's time to get involved. It's time to stop pretending others will sort it out. It's time to stop just watching as this terror keeps clawing at our country. It is time to make a difference.

One of our nation's great privileges is its wildlife. I don't know if you have ever had the experience of joining a foreign tourist on their first game experience. Have you seen how that jaw drops? Have you seen the awe in their eyes? Have you felt it too yourself sometimes? This happens, because these experiences are truly remarkable. To be in the presence of wildlife in it's natural habitat - it's a gift. It's a gift we need to protect.

Take for example little Phila, a baby black Rhino. She was shot nine times and still managed to survive this Rhino War before she was transported and released into the Johannesburg Zoo in October this year. All for a horn; a horn that is falsely believed to have medicinal qualities in South East Asia where the demand for it has doubled in the last year, as have the killings in South Africa.

According to the International Rhino Foundation, a rhino horn sells for round R400 000 a kilogram, making it far more lucrative than even gold. And yet, all it is made from is compacted keratin - the same stuff that makes up our fingernails and hair. Yip, scientists say it has no medicinal qualities. Our rhinos are being killed for nothing.

Poaching syndicates are getting more and more advanced using helicopters, night vision equipments and mercenaries skilled at tracking rhinos. Image that perfect image of a rhino you saw when last at Kruger, gracefully poised. Imagine a group of men hunting him and hacking off his horn, with complete disregard for this animal, and leaving him to die, all alone, slowly bleeding out into our African soil.

Enough! South Africa is home to 90% of the world's rhino population. This places our Black Rhinos and around 4,500, and southern white rhinos nearly 18,000. The Northern White Rhino is said to be extinct in the wild. And at the current killing rate, conservationists fear that death rate is outweighing the birth rate.

The demand for rhino horn is sadly insatiable, and the emergence of fearless poachers ever growing. We have to get involved. We have to do something. We have to stop this.

To join this battle against poachers, and save our rhinos, take a mere moment to visit WWF to donate whatever you can. Believe me, every little bit helps. A lot. There's a rhino out there that you can help save from this horrendous and unfair death.

You can make a difference.

Cheers,

~ Alan

Life Member NRA
Life Member SCI

email: editorusa(@)africanxmag(dot)com

African Expedition Magazine: http://www.africanxmag.com/

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/alan.p.bunn

Twitter: http://twitter.com/EditorUSA

Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. ~Keller

To be persuasive we must be believable; to be believable we must be credible; to be credible we must be truthful. ~ Murrow

Posts: 1112 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 09 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi guys

I just finished a meeting with guys from parksboard total tally for rhinos are 305 and that was yesterday.

What do we do??? Im renovating a house for the anti poaching unit we going to put the best security systems we have control room everything and a few things i cant name still Im not telling this to get a clap on the back and a thank you im doing this because i love wildlife and i see how our parksboard suffer to get any help from goverment to indivuadals like us so guys.THATS WHAT I DID what are you guys going to do.Read ar and moan about poachers or do something worthwhile.

That is a mouthfull sorry guys i think i must get a beer and go relax under a tree.

Luan

Posts: 261 | Location: Lydenburg | Registered: 19 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I applaud your efforts, but if you want to save the Rhinos then it is time to start moving them to Texas. I don't see how they will survive with such high black market prices and the corruption endemic to Africa.

STAY IN THE FIGHT!

Posts: 1849 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 25 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Insert a poison into the horn?

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
I think injecting some sort of poison into the horns, if it could be done without harming the rhino, would be a great idea. Even better, taking some of the horns now sitting in government stockpiles, and poisoning them and then getting them into the smuggling channels so that some of the end consumers get the bad horn and die. I believe that the fear of not knowing if the next injestion of rhino horn might kill you, or not, could be a powerful deterrent...especially if some have died after injesting rhino horn and it is well publicized.

Years ago, back in the 1980s, I sent 4 aimpoint sights to Zimbabwe's Parks and Wildlife Department, specifically for their anit-poaching units to use on their guns. For a while, I'd get a report here or there about poachers they'd shot with the aid of these sights. Perhaps it is time for sportsmen to do something similar again.

Posts: 3917 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Alan Bunn

The president of PHASA (I think it was the president) told me last year in Reno that probably 75% of the Southern White Rhino in SA were on game ranches. I wonder how many of them have been poached.

: : :

Posts: 861 | Registered: 17 September 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Alan Bunn
posted Hide Post
SteveGI,

I don't know if it is the 'official' number, but I was recently informed that there have been a total of 305 rhinos poached so far this year.

The majority killed are white rhinos because their horns are bigger and weigh more, and they are easier to find. The white rhinos live in more open terrain and the blacks live more in the dense bush. However, there were some black rhinos killed as well, but I don't have a breakdown on the exact numbers.

Cheers,

~ Alan

Life Member NRA
Life Member SCI

Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. ~Keller

To be persuasive we must be believable; to be believable we must be credible; to be credible we must be truthful. ~ Murrow

one of us
Picture of Gator1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DLS:
I think injecting some sort of poison into the horns, if it could be done without harming the rhino, would be a great idea. Even better, taking some of the horns now sitting in government stockpiles, and poisoning them and then getting them into the smuggling channels so that some of the end consumers get the bad horn and die. I believe that the fear of not knowing if the next injestion of rhino horn might kill you, or not, could be a powerful deterrent...especially if some have died after injesting rhino horn and it is well publicized.

quote:
Clinical Director : Castle Veterinary Group (Framlingham)

l
Poisoning rhino's horns immoral? If you don't kill game wardens and steal the horns and sell them on the black market, no one will get hurt!!
THAILAND - Bangkok Star - 18th August

A woman mourns over the body of her deceased husband after he had purchased apparently purposely contaminated Rhino horn on the open market in Bangkok. The source of the contamination is still to be verified but it is thought to be from a private game farm somewhere in southern Africa. Officials in Thailand are frantic to identify the source, as the powdered horn is sold in miniscule amounts and they have no idea how much has already been distributed thoughout Bangkok. Local hospitals are on standby for an unprecendented influx of new cases.

Officials are unable get information as the rhino horn dealers in Bangkok are being unco-operative. They neither want to be fingered as being the provider of the poisoned horn, not do they want to reveal their illegal
international sources. It is believed that private game farm owners in southern Africa are colluding between themselves to distribute an effective poison that is harmless to the animals but harmful, or even fatal as in
this case, to those that ingest the contaminated horn.

A game farm owner from the North West Province who obviously wishes to remain anonymous, has admitted to using the poison on 4 of his animals. Three of them have shown no side-effects whatsoever 2 months after the poison was injected into the horns. However the 4th rhino was slaughtered and de-horned on a remote part of his farm in the last week of July. When asked to comment on the death in Thailand from suspect poisoned rhino horn, he refused to be drawn into the morals of the farmers joint action. He said that there would be many more cases in the near future as he was personally aware of at least another 5 slaughters of contaminated rhinos in the North West Province alone.
Authorities in South Africa are unable to comment on the "poison" collusion among the game farm owners nor are they able to verify the source
of the contaminated horn. Despite the ethical furore the poisoning of rhino horn may trigger, to many of us this is what we've been waiting for - It's great news in a desperate fight - at last a positive way to fight back to help save the rhino, no matter how illegal - after all the poachers & the "Rhino Mafia" & corrupt politicians or official's acts are also very much illegal !! - all hell will break loose but always remember - " 'n boer maak 'n plan" - this one's desperate but terrific and will wake the Zim, Mozam, SA & Provincial Gov's & Authorities & those further north from their arrogant/corrupt slumbers !!
The fight's really on - can't wait !! - Well done to the farmers & rhino owners !!
ZWF Comments by Tim Condon

Please contact the ZWF Anti- Poaching Confidential Hot-Line with any information in strictest confidence on any acts of poaching - rhino horn, ivory & game for bush meat - to our email at
tim.condon@shaw.ca<mailto:tim.condon@shaw.ca> !!

Gator

A Proud Member of the Obamanation

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left."
Ecclesiastes 10:2

"There are some ideas so absurd that only an intellectual could believe them." George Orwell

Posts: 2753 | Location: Climbing the Mountains of Liberal BS. | Registered: 31 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Alan Bunn
posted Hide Post
The first place we should send a load of poisoned rhino horn is to North Korea. I'd pay good money to see the video of Kim Jung Il and his son flopping around.

I'd bet it would also make a hell of a racket when those North Korean generals with the coats full of medals hit the floor and started clacking and rattling.

Cheers,

~ Alan

Life Member NRA
Life Member SCI

One of Us
Picture of Teat Hound
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigBoreCore:
I applaud your efforts, but if you want to save the Rhinos then it is time to start moving them to Texas. I don't see how they will survive with such high black market prices and the corruption endemic to Africa.

Agreed!

-eric

" . . . a gun is better worn and with bloom off---So is a saddle---People too by God." -EH

Posts: 952 | Location: Bakersfield, California | Registered: 03 June 2005Reply With Quote