Tools

Books
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 375 fanatic
posted
Does anybody know where I can find some nice hunting books and stories

"Buy land they have stopped making it"- Mark Twain

Posts: 914 | Location: Burgersfort the big Kudu mekka of South Africa | Registered: 27 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
Amazon is a good place to buy them price wise. Safaripress has a good selection to look over and then price them at Amazon. I would search this forum and the book forum on this sight for suggested reading. You may also try ebay.

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try the Books forum on AR. I have reviewed dozens of books and also note where to find them.

Posts: 10364 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Try this: http://www.shakariconnection.com/bookshelf.html

You'll find a huge selection of both new and used hunting and hunting related books and prices vary from US$1 to US$230K

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is a very expensive site to visit.

quote:
Originally posted by shakari:
Try this: http://www.shakariconnection.com/bookshelf.html

You'll find a huge selection of both new and used hunting and hunting related books and prices vary from US$1 to US$230K

...I say that hunters go into Paradise when they die, and live in this world more joyfully than any other men.
-Edward, Duke of York

Posts: 876 | Location: Halkirk Ab | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Check ABE books on the internet. It is book seller site. You will find every type of book on there and every author you can think of. You will find the rarest of books to the most common and expensive of books. It has been my main resource for looking for out of print books.

Brooks

Posts: 179 | Location: Virginia, NE. USA | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Steve's site or Safari Press would be my recommendations. Steve would be closest for shipping to you.

one of us
posted Hide Post
After I looked at Steve's site he refers to ABE books a lot plus safari press.

Biblio.com is another good site for used and new books.

Brooks

Posts: 179 | Location: Virginia, NE. USA | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maki:
That is a very expensive site to visit.

Maki,

I must be one of it's biggest customers, so I know what you mean........ I'm the reason Mama Shakari put the yellow wallet warning just before the main listings begin! rotflmo

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm the reason Mama Shakari put the yellow wallet warning just before the main listings begin!

No use, Shakari; no use... Placed orders irrespective. wave

A.k.a. Bwana One-Shot

Posts: 555 | Location: Finland | Registered: 07 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Schauckis:
No use, Shakari; no use... Placed orders irrespective. wave

Nope, didn't work for me either! - She's threatening to confiscate my wallet or buy a bigger house to accommodate the extra books now!

rotflmo jumping rotflmo

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use

abebooks.com

overstock.com

amazon.com

safaripress.com

ebay.com

Posts: 952 | Location: Mass | Registered: 14 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try Rowland Ward Publications.

Shakaris site is also marvellous.

Posts: 1224 | Location: Western Australia | Registered: 31 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Should be even better in a day or two as we're preparing to add another 3 pages of books!

one of us
Picture of Balla Balla
posted Hide Post
From my limited knowledge (being old, aged 65 sunburnt and pickled over the years living in Africa) Steve's very informative site seems to be a lighting rod for DIVERSE information all focused in one central point, that is the beauty of the product, it not only offers links to other sites and generic information, it also has information and/or products specific to his business theme

Of course there are many sites that might sell books and or have other outdoor africa information and product, but I believe what Steve & Susan want to and are well on their way achieving, is a CENTRAL FOCUS point for information and product.

Over time this site will proberbly diversfy somewhat and include lots of other information and product all still essentially with an Africana theme

Cheers, Peter

Posts: 3331 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Peter,

Thanks for those kind words. Initially we were going to write a book, and the original stimulus was as it says on the home page..... that we so often came across hunters stranded without information etc...... but we quickly realised if we did it in book form, it'd be out of date as soon as it was published. So the idea evolved into a website which is updateable and can be enlarged as necessary.

In some ways it's a rod for our own back because it's a never ending job, but in other ways it's a blessing because we can provide additional products such as various good quality kit and of course, the bookshelf which we couldn't do in a book. My biggest problem with the bookshelf is that I keep buying books there myself! rotflmo

We do also sell both direct and affiliate advertising (from ethical companies) on the site which helps us cover running and building costs.

But whatever we add will always be related to Africa and African hunting and all content will always be open, honest and ethical. Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you know the book that you want search for it on abe, as it is nearly always cheaper.

Posts: 174 | Location: Cumbria | Registered: 30 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
FWIW we use ABE and other book searches, so if it's on ABE or any of the others we use you can search for it there. Alternatively, let us know what you want and we can find it for you and if it's not on our site already, we'll put it there for you.

Cumbrian,

I've just seen your weather forecast and it looks like you're in for some real shitty weather over there!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shakari, unfortunately as you know, the weather is nearly always shit in England. It rains in the summer and it rains in the winter, the only difference from summer is that in the winter it's a bit colder.

Posts: 174 | Location: Cumbria | Registered: 30 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Yup, I know what you mean. The thing I used to hate most was the interminable grey skies which to me was even worse than the rain.

Sky weather reckons it's gonna get a LOT colder for you guys over the next few days. I've gotta tell you I don't envy you that shit at all!!! Eeker

All that said, I've now got to a stage here when I'm happy to see rain because we get so little of it and the upside is it only lasts a day or three at most and then we're back to blue skies. Smiler

FWIW, it's 28C here today with clear blue skies........ so eat your heart out! rotflmo