One of Us
Picture of Sevenxbjt
posted

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sevenxbjt:
At the suggestion of someone I ordered an old copy of Robert Ruark's "Something of Value". What a wonderful book. Violent yet welldone and for a young man like me, a look back into to an Africa that is much different from any Africa I will ever see. I'm sure alot of you guys have already read it, but it might just deserve another read.
clap absolutely agree- a great read.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13163 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
Since you loved 'Something of Value' you really need to read his other books on Africa. You'll love them all. I think Horn of the Hunter is perhaps Ruark's best book of all. Or, The Old Man and the Boy.

Posts: 3858 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
You'l find al his books, including al his novels here: http://www.shakariconnection.c...book-collection.html

One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
"Something of Value" is a great book. I have wondered why Ruark changed the character names for "Uhuru". In his book Alan Ritchie explained that if "Uhuru" was a sequel to SOV, MGM would own the movie rights for $75,000.00. Ruark felt he could/should make much more and thus changed the book.

On my first trip to Africa I brought "Use Enough Gun" and read it for the umpteenth time.

One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
Absolutely one of the best!

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2980 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Spring
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike70560:
"Something of Value" is a great book. I have wondered why Ruark changed the character names for "Uhuru". In his book Alan Ritchie explained that if "Uhuru" was a sequel to SOV, MGM would own the movie rights for $75,000.00. Ruark felt he could/should make much more and thus changed the book.

On my first trip to Africa I brought "Use Enough Gun" and read it for the umpteenth time.

That is very interesting...I've always wondered why Ruark did that. It just made no sense to me. Great books and must reads for someone that has a deep interest in Africa.

Posts: 1445 | Location: Bronwood, GA | Registered: 10 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i visit used book stores and buy all the copies i can find,then give them out at xmas.
one of the BEST

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Safari Press has most of his works here in the states.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Something of Value and Uhuru are both great reading, and they give you insight into what was the beginning of the change of the political tide in Africa. Much of what is contained therein is still going on in Africa today, but under somewhat different auspices or means in some cases, and in others by the same means. However, the end result has been the same, ergo, Zimbabwe, South Africa, Namibia, etc.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had the good fortune to share a hunting camp with Craig Boddington in Mozambique in 2006. One evening I asked him who he liked to read. (African stuff,specifically.) He unequivically said "Well, Ruark is the best writer."

Posts: 1978 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I read it and posted a review in the "books forum" some time ago.

I like Ruark and his writing very much. However, I just did not enjoy the "darkness" of Something of Value. Extremely well written, a great story line but a downer for me. He reminds me of Hemingway in his style and thinking. I enjoy RR's essays and hunting stories but Something of Value was not my favorite.

Posts: 10182 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
dogcat: I think that the "darkness" found in Something of Value was unavoidable, even though it was disturbing, as it was based upon factual events that were true, just the names and a few other things changed because of veiled threats made to Ruark. I believe that he was eventually banned from Kenya because of it. (Persona non gratis) I enjoyed it because it gave me a history and a base from which to view all of Southern and East Africa from, and helped me put the subsequent political events that have occured in all of the countries in those areas into proper perspective. I believe that I better understand Africa for having read it years ago. Another recommended book for your reading would be: Cry Zimbabwe. Try that one as well. I enjoy the stories of the hunt and trophies taken, but for me I find that knowing the history and the political side of things helps me to enjoy my safaris to Africa that much more. Just my two cents worth.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think it's one of the great ones, I have read SOV and Uhuru many times. Man, what it would have been, to be in Kenya before "Uhuru" or Zim before Bob.

Ruark and Wilbur Smith started my dreams of seeing Africa, well Tarzan too!

Posts: 41786 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sevenxbjt
posted Hide Post
Use enough, I Could not agree more. The history and way things took shape are such unique components of an afican hunt for us Americans. In fact, my fascination with the colonial period is part of what prompted me to plan a safari. I could not agree more that the book is dark, but most of the classics had a vein of tragedy coursing through them. Not to mention that I can draw some parralels to some things now occuring a little ways south of Kenya.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Amen. History is repeating itself.