New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anybody Like 9.3x62 for Leopard?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I just got a new (for me) Husqvarna in 9.3x62. It's a sweet little rifle, one of the older ones with steel bottom metal. A trip up to Mark Penrod and it is now proper. He drilled and tapped it and milled bases to fit. I have a new Swaro 3x9 that I'm thinking of putting on it.

If the economy doesn't get me I'm thinking I may pony up for a leopard if I make it back to Zambia next year.

I'm thinking that something like a 250gr TSX at around 2,500 would have to be poison on leopards and PG.

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Yes, have tried many times for leopard with a 9.3 at hand, but I would not use an X bullet for this situation.
250 to 285grn Woodleigh round nose softs, Partition's and H-Mantles are about perfect. thumb

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would use either a 286 Nosler Partition or a 286gr Woodleigh Soft, the RN not the Protected Point.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Any decent deer bullet makes a fine leopard bullet. A 270 grain Speer, or a 286 grain Hornady would work. A cool caliber for sure.

Posts: 152 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 29 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Karl S
posted Hide Post
I love the caliber, the bullet choice and leopard hunting, and the combination will work perfectly. I have shot a few leopards with solids, (9.3x64 and .450 Rigby) and out of the bigger calibers, it is also deadly, though not first choice. ANY modern 9.3 bullet of expanding type will work excellent, even the Barnes TSX.

Karl Stumpfe
Ndumo Hunting Safaris www.huntingsafaris.net
karl@huntingsafaris.net
P.O. Box 1667, Katima Mulilo, Namibia
Cell: +264 81 1285 416
Fax: +264 61 254 328
Sat. phone: +88 163 166 9264

Posts: 1336 | Location: Namibia, Caprivi | Registered: 11 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Me Big Grin Anything from 232grn up to 286grn works well

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
IMO, the 9.3X62, or the 9.3X74R with 286 gr Nosler Partition, and a good illuminated scope, is just about perfect for ole spots over bait. The 196 gr 8mms are also fine for the leopard over bait, but with dogs, I'd rather have the 9.3 286 gr Partition, for it's big impact on the cat to avoid dog being hurt my a wounded cat, not to mention myself, and crew!

I have a perfect bait gun for leopard, and American lion , and black bear over bait. It is a sidelock cape gun 16ga/8X57JR useing a 196 gr rn soft point in the rifle barrel for on bait primary shot, along with a Brenneke slug in the shot barrel for walk up.

All the above is speculation however, because I don't have a Leopard just an opinion! You know what they say about opinions!

jumping jumping jumping

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Andy, my first safari consisted on plains game up to kudu and my rifle was a CZ 9.3x62 loaded with 286 gr Nosler Partitions at about 2500 fps. The combo worked like a charm. The front part of this bullet is a bit soft and opens right up to the partition. I would think it would be awsome for leopards.

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer
SCI
DSC

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Graf's has the PRVI Paratizan cases and bullets very inexpensively. I would use their soft point 286gr bullets, actually, I will when I get back for a whack at old chui.

Rich
Buff Killer

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Andy,

I have a 9.3x62 but have not taken it to Africa yet. I would think at the ranges you would encounter in most of Zambia the 9.3 would work very well for everything including your leopard. I must agree with Gary that the 286 Partition might be perfect for the full spectrum of game you will encounter. Throw on a few solids and your covered from grysbok through buffalo.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Abie DuPlooy told me that the 9.3x62 is his all time favorite cartridge for leopard, said it really knocks the stuffing out of them.

I am thinking of taking my now 11 year old son with me to shoot some PG. I think he will better handle the 9.3 than one of my 375s. I'll also either take my .450 Dakota or my Lott for the buff.

I bought some of the Prvi bullets and cases from Graf's that Rich referred to. Nice brass, headstamped Graf and nicely annealed. The Prvi bullets are accurate with modest charge of RL-15 but I haven't killed anything with them yet.

one of us
posted Hide Post
For leopard, a standard cup/core bullet should be perfect. If you are using it for some larger game on the same trip, the North Fork opens up quickly, so should work well on leopard. It definitely will flatten black bears,etc.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote