Find
Notify
Tools

DEAD THREAD EXPLOSION - WHY?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted
It seems that we are experiencing a large number of old threads being revived recently. Certainly more than the occasional thread and some as old as 16 years. Many of the original posters in these threads are deceased or have permanently departed from AR. None seem to be anything more than routine discussion topics having no special interest to current African hunting conditions.

So what's the reason and wouldn't it make more sense to simply start a new thread? Just curious.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I think that it comes from people using the "search" function, reading an interesting topic and hitting reply without realizing that the thread is many years old.

On many forums if you try to reply to a thread that is over a year old it has a pop up that says, "This post is XXX days old, are you sure that you want to respond to it?"

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12711 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
Why the retreads??? Because a lot of people are too stupid to read the original post date....

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13449 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
What has the date got to do with any discussion?

Someone actually uses the search function and finds a subject of interest and posts in it. The date has absolutely nothing to do with with it.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68795 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
The threads also show up in a Google search.

Posts: 2694 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
Why the retreads??? Because a lot of people are too stupid to read the original post date....

You mean "intelligent enough to use the search function" and add to the discussion

Who cares how old the topic?

At the end of the day it is just print on a screen......

Unless it bothers somebody enough to question why

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of twoseventy
posted Hide Post
How can one tell what year the post was originally written?

quote:

...I say that hunters go into Paradise when they die, and live in this world more joyfully than any other men.
-Edward, duke of York

". . . when a man has shot an elephant his life is full." ~John Alfred Jordan

"The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero - 55 BC

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand

Cogito ergo venor- KPete

“It is not from the benevolence of the butcher, the brewer, or the baker, that we expect our dinner, but from their regard to their own self-interest. We address ourselves, not to their humanity but to their self-love, and never talk to them of our own necessities but of their advantages.”
― Adam Smith - “Wealth of Nations”

Posts: 989 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 12 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
How can one tell what year the post was originally written?

Easy. Just read the first post in the thread.

one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
quote:

Why so confrontational? Roll Eyes

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Honestly, if someone reads a thread 10 years later and is interested enough to repost on it, obviously there is some interest 10 years later.

Some of the old Allen Day threads are quite interesting now. He was taken from us way too soon.

Posts: 11033 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll try to remember to bring this one back to life in a few years for further discussion.

Posts: 1077 | Location: NT, Australia | Registered: 10 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Whenever I have a specific query and chase it up through any forum I often find outdated threads but that's just part of research. Sometimes there's a lot of new material available which is good but all too often there are no replies because it's been "done and dusted".

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The post date I see does not have a year, just month, day and time.

Mark

Posts: 1244 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I see no year either in the post date. Do some of us AR members have the year posted and some of us do not?

At any rate, I agree with the others who do not care if it's an old thread if someone has something new or different to contribute. I have responded to, and and even brought back old threads myself.

I enjoy reading or rereading Taylor, Ruark, Boddington, Shakespear, etc., no matter how old the 'thread' is...

Posts: 2628 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Look here..../|\....for the post date and time.

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Clark:
The post date I see does not have a year, just month, day and time.Mark
Find the blue "Go" button at the top of the posts and select "Personal Zone" then "Preferences" then under My Time Display make sure "Community time format" is selected. If "My time format" is selected chances are you have a custom format which does not display the year.

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill C:
quote:
The post date I see does not have a year, just month, day and time.Mark
Find the blue "Go" button at the top of the posts and select "Personal Zone" then "Preferences" then under My Time Display make sure "Community time format" is selected. If "My time format" is selected chances are you have a custom format which does not display the year.

That fixed it, now I have the year.
Thanks!

M

one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
tu2

I do find the resurrection of old posts make for an awkward situation, as posters unknowingly reply to old questions and such.

This said, they are a wealth of knowledge and valuable resource, and in some cases a time capsule, such as this one:

http://forums.accuratereloadin.../f/1411043/m/6981074

If bored, on your favorite forum, go to the Page section and select the oldest and work your way forward. On this forum, I see 1111 as the oldest. If nothing else, it is entertainig to read the lead dogs, Will and Atkinson, bicker Cool

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
And the topics repeat over and over again, whether 16 years old or six weeks. And with the same replies.

Didn't think anyone really cared. Smiler

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19369 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Will:
And the topics repeat over and over again, whether 16 years old or six weeks. And with the same replies.

How much do I tip?
Can I hunt deer with a 223?

M

One of Us
Picture of Steve Ahrenberg
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Will:

How much do I tip?
Can I hunt deer with a 223?
Mark Sullivan
Peter Capstick

M

I fixed it for you.

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3558 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was trying to block those out.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill C,

Thanks from me as well!

I now have the YEAR also...

Posts: 2628 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Because a thread is never truly dead. Some actually become zombies.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13675 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
Because it works?

Three things always do -

1. A lady without enough clothes on.
2. A guy getting his stones racked
3. A monkey riding a dog.

(Michael wins!)

Posts: 4885 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote