Find
Notify
Tools

7x57 performs well on Namibian PG
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 404WJJeffery
posted
Did a short PG hunt in Namibia a few weeks ago. I took my Chapuis Challenger in 9.3x62 and departed from Raleigh/Durham airport for a connection through Dulles. The rifle was 'inspected" by TSA at my departure airport. When I arrived for my Dulles to JNB flight, the TSA people told me they "forgot" to put my detachable scope back in my rifle case when they inspected it. The scope was still in Raleigh and they would not forward it.

I arrived in Namibia without a scope. Open sights on the 9.3, but the distances where I was hunting really cried out for a scope. The PH had a 7x57 on hand, but it was really rough. Sometimes the bolt just wouldn't open (dirty and rusty), and the stock was secured to the barrel by a plastic zip lock. But beggers can't be choosers and he was kind enough to lend it to me.

Ended up popping a kudu, 2 gemsbok and a springbok with it- all one shot kills, ran very little, if at all....light recoil, handy- I was very impressed. Also bagged a kudu with the 9.3. I carried it everywhere hoping to use it. The stalk was really cool. The PH took me to an area he knew kudu liked. We walked and eventually spotted a nice bull. Put a stalk on him. The we lost him. We continued on to where we thought he might be, walking uphill on a game trail. Just as the PH, who was in the lead, could see into the next little depression, he dropped down flat. Seems our kudu was bedded down about 20 yards away, unaware of us. We could just see his horns and they moved back and forth in the tall grass and scrub.

We waited about 20 minutes for him to pop up and resume feeding. Then the PH suggested I belly crawl about 30 yards parralel to the ridge, to a point where I could get a bit closer and above the kudu. The plan was for me to get to the top of the ridge, quickly stand up and pop him.

Belly crawled. Got to the spot. Calmed myself, thought through the shot a few times, released the safety and stood up.

No kudu. Couldn't see him.What I thought was the top of the ridge turned out to be a little rise. The top was a few feet further. Back to my belly and over some really rough ground to the actual top.

Repeated the maneuver. I jump up. Kudu is looking at me already. He jumps up. I am basically on top of him at about 15 yards. He stood and turned in one motion. My only shot was to sight along hs spine and put one where I thought I would hit the spine but at least carry through to his vitals.

bang, flop.

Then another bull jumps up, even bigger horns. "There's another one, I shout". One PH says "shoot him". I line up the shot and begin to squeeze...the other says "don't shoot him"..so of course I squeeze off a round..BOOM....and miss...then the first kudu comes back to life and jumps up and BOOM he is down again.

One PH got it all on video and is is actually quite hilarious. You see me in the weeds, I jump up and crank of a round, then lots of shouting and I aim in a different direction and crank off another round, then swing the gun back again and fire another round. The camera PH added his voice commentary to the video as it is happening---"does this American think he is duck hunting.....?" That's what it looks like on video.

"Are you gonna pull them pistols,...or whistle Dixie??"

Josie Wales 1866

Posts: 1489 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Karl S
posted Hide Post
Sounds like fun. Where did you hunt?

Karl Stumpfe
Ndumo Hunting Safaris www.huntingsafaris.net
karl@huntingsafaris.net
P.O. Box 1667, Katima Mulilo, Namibia
Cell: +264 81 1285 416
Fax: +264 61 254 328
Sat. phone: +88 163 166 9264

Posts: 1336 | Location: Namibia, Caprivi | Registered: 11 September 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
The 7x57 has been working fine in Africa since it was first brought there over 100 years ago.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brain1
posted Hide Post
I have heard a 7x57 is very effective on ducks.

You can borrow money, but you can't borrow time. Don't wait, go now.
Savannah Safaris Namibia
Otjitambi Trails & Safaris
DRSS
NRA
SCI
DSC
TSRA
TMPA

Posts: 1265 | Location: Bridgeport, Tx | Registered: 20 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Brain1: Yes, but insist on Nosler Partitions for this work.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16654 | Location: Las Cruces, NM | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RAC
posted Hide Post
Do you have any idea what weight and bullet brand you used in the 7 x 57?

I hunt, not to kill, but in order not to have played golf....

DRSS

Posts: 839 | Location: LA | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My PH in Namibia had a 7x57. Had it with him all the time! The Boers brought them in I guess and they stayed!
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 404WJJeffery
posted Hide Post
In respose to queries

I was at a place 45 minutes from Windhoek, but very wild and open. I used 150 grainers, it was the PMP or PMC South African ammo.....

Josie Wales 1866

Posts: 1489 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
What was the outcome with the scope?
I would be pissed! Mad
ozhunter

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 404WJJeffery
posted Hide Post
I did get my scope back, a Schmidt & Bender

I was not pissed, just disappointed- call it my Africa tax- the scope, my video camera taken out of my bag, with my son's middle school graduation tape and daughter's dance solo taped and lost, my cell phone "lost" in Namibia with $1600 worth of calls before I could shut off the sim card, that Cingular initially said would not be charged because of fraud, only to have them deduct it from my bank account (I have auto withdrawl) saying it is in fact, not fraud.....Africa tax....still worth the cost...

Josie Wales 1866

one of us
Picture of Steve Malinverni
posted Hide Post
Does that rifle stay in a red rifle bag? And was it completed with a Leupold scope?
the description of the CZ rifle with the plastic zip lock made me remember a rifle seen last year in Namibia, maybe we have hunted with the same PH. Smiler

bye
Stefano
Waidmannsheil

Posts: 1653 | Location: Milano Italy | Registered: 04 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ChrisTroskie
posted Hide Post
A few pics of some of the animals 404 got...

Regards,

Chris Troskie
Tel. +27 82 859-0771
email. chris@ct-safaris.com
Sabrisa Ranch Ellisras RSA
www.ct-safaris.com
https://youtu.be/4usXceRdkH4

Posts: 855 | Location: Sabrisa Ranch Limpopo Province - South Africa | Registered: 03 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Congratulations! Thanks for sharing!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve Malinverni
posted Hide Post
By photos I've understood that the ph was not the same, but I've understoold also that the practice to secure the stock to the barrel by a plastic zip lock is common there. I trying to understand why. Loosen screws? or what?

bye
Stefano
Waidmannsheil

Posts: 1653 | Location: Milano Italy | Registered: 04 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 404WJJeffery
posted Hide Post
Hey Stefano

The rifle I used belonged to the PH in the sprinbok photo. It ws his first rifle he bought for himself when he was 16 or so. Sort of his beater rifle. The plastic zip lock held the broken stock together and in turn held it to the rifle.

He told me the rifle will kill anything I aimed at, but I must first talk to it and get to know it. The scope was also foggy and the action, as said, was a bit rusted and had lots of crud built up inside. But it worked! And beggars can't be choosers! I was grateful to have the rifle...

Josie Wales 1866