Notify
Tools

alternative floor wax question
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ivan carter
posted
people ,
in africa we get a clear beeswax based floor polish called "cobra" its great for use on wooden carvings , tusks, stone sculptures and many other applications and prevents cracking and helps keep things looking good ..

does anyone here in the US know the product and know what the US equivalent is

thanks in advance !

"The greatest threat to our wildlife is the thought that someone else will save it”

www.facebook.com/ivancartersafrica

www.ivancarterwca.org
www.ivancarter.com
ivan@ivancarter.com

Posts: 1201 | Location: South Africa  | Registered: 04 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Take a look at Johnsons Paste Wax. Works on lots of things.

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Singleshot03
posted Hide Post
SC Johnson's Paste Wax

wax

Posts: 1493 | Location: Cincinnati  | Registered: 28 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use this as it doesn't yellow over time....

http://www.bwccompany.com/bowlingalley.html

Posts: 444 | Location: Hudson Valley | Registered: 07 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One of the best is Briwax which is blend of soft beeswax and a waxy emollient from the carnauba palm, and is available here in US. Probably very similar to the stuff you are using in Africa

Mylands Wax is very good. Formulated for antique furniture conservators and restorers, but used by a lot of craft people for new carvings and such. It combines natural waxes beeswax, carnauba and shellac wax.

Minwax Paste Finishing Wax is also used alot and does not yellow but will allow wood to age gracefully. Available at any Home Depot. More readily available, does a good job and is less expensive

Posts: 3617 | Location: Verdi Nevada | Registered: 01 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
This might be close to what you are looking for:

http://www.earthpaint.net/product_lookingGlass.php

One of Us
Picture of ivan carter
posted Hide Post
thanks for the good info folks i appreciate it !

"The greatest threat to our wildlife is the thought that someone else will save it”

www.ivancarterwca.org
www.ivancarter.com
ivan@ivancarter.com

Posts: 1201 | Location: South Africa  | Registered: 04 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Been using minwax on antique furniture and especially on my longbows.
Good to know, I"ll use it on my tusks

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of snowhound
posted Hide Post
When I first read the topic and then who the OP was my immediate reaction was - all those elephant charges finally got to him...

Posts: 133 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 28 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ivan carter
posted Hide Post
quote:
When I first read the topic and then who the OP was my immediate reaction was - all those elephant charges finally got to him...

snowhound - Smiler

so much old ivory you see here in the states has been stained yellow from having the wrong polish applied likewise wooden sculptures from africa change color so was just wondering what people had found was the best ..

so many people recommend linseed oil but it gets very sticky and very yellow and that simply doesnt work !!!

thanks again everyone !

www.ivancarterwca.org
www.ivancarter.com
ivan@ivancarter.com

One of Us
Picture of Anjin
posted Hide Post
Way back when I was appraising my Japanese swords, the folks at the Boston Museum of Fine Arts told me that for their old Queen Anne furniture, they used simple lemon oil polish and kept them in humidity-controlled cases.

I do not think I would use that on ivory, though.

For color-free wax, I agree that bowling alley wax is good. For gun stocks and metal, Johnson's Paste Wax is good and note that some car waxes are very high carnauba content, if all else fails.

Norman Solberg
International lawyer back in the US after 25 years and, having met a few of the bad guys and governments here and around the world, now focusing on private trusts that protect wealth from them. NRA Life Member for 50 years, NRA Endowment Member from 2014, NRA Patron from 2016.

Posts: 554 | Location: Sandia Mountains, NM | Registered: 05 January 2011Reply With Quote
Picture of CHIDUMBU
posted Hide Post
Here in Zim we used to make home-made Cobra polish from 'white' candles and and paraffin - can't remember the exact ratio's, just crush up the candles and keep adding paraffin to dissolve the candles until you reach the desired consistency.

One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Ivan,

You are talking about raw linseed oil. Boiled linseed is what should of been used, but the rags are extremely hazardous spontaneous combustion must be put outside draped over a can open fully or metal can placed inside and sealed.

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I was told to use Johnson's baby oil on my ivory and ivory products. Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CHIDUMBU:
Here in Zim we used to make home-made Cobra polish from 'white' candles and and paraffin - can't remember the exact ratio's, just crush up the candles and keep adding paraffin to dissolve the candles until you reach the desired consistency.

i assume by paraffin, you mean the kerosene that is used in lamps? at least that is what my friends in Zim refer to as paraffin. don't think i would want to put kerosene on anything of real value. i use a product available here in the US called Howard's Feed-N-Wax( available at Lowes). it is a mixture of orange oil, beeswax and carnuba wax. gel consistency, easily applied, and gives a nice semi-gloss, water repellant finish. i touch up all my gunstocks every 2-3 months. takes less than 10 minutes per stock.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13400 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
I'm always confused by these threads. It seems like no two people agree on what to use or why.

I've used Johnson's wax on ivory, but then other things I've read say that was wrong.

By threads on the taxidermy forum some people swear by baby oil.

Many of these recommended products are vastly different chemically so it seems like some of them would be a mistake.

Maybe I'm just easily confused.

I'm so old that I still have some skills even without an internet connection or electricity.

Posts: 2507 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
I was told to use Johnson's baby oil on my ivory and ivory products. Big Grin

Damn, okay I was told to use it for....... Roll Eyes

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I know what you were told to use it for! LOL! rotflmo So, use it for both! Big Grin