THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Is Uganda back as the "Jewel of Africa"?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is Uganda back as the "Jewel of Africa"?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Uganda is expanding their hunting opportunities and is coming on strong as a great destination. Have you seen the new SCI Archery #1 Ugandan kob taken recently by Steve Kobrine?
You can see it at www.huntingreport.com under Website Uploads. There's also a beautiful Nile bushbuck on the home page that Steve took.
Apparently the game is there in good numbers and safari operators are gearing up to offer hunts for species not available elsewhere. Nile buffalo is just one.
My wife is going in November. If anybody else has been, I'd like to hear from them.

Posts: 207 | Location: Florida | Registered: 28 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am trying to get something togeather for next year but am having a hard time as I am interested in plains game only not Buffalo. The two species most interested in are Nile Bushbuck and Sitatunga.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are 3 approved outfitters operating in Uganda. One is Kaka Matama of Game trails Safaris booked through Jensen Safaris of south Africa (jensen@icon.co.za). Another is Gavin Godfrey at gavinbots@bots.net.bw He guided Hunting Report subscribers Steve Kobrine and Greg Williamson to Nile bushbuck. You can ask him if he has sitatunga. If not yet, he may by the time you can go.
And my wife is going to do an exploratory trip this November with Chris Weth of Uganda Wildlife Safaris (Christian.weth@uganda-wildlife-safaris.com). Again, ask about sitatunga and good luck.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm very interested in a hunt in Uganda.
Yet I've contacted all the operators mentioned from Dagga Boy.
Jenses safaris seems very busy, almost full booked for next year (all scandinavian hunters). But seems the most tested as they began the outfitting operation few years ago.
The offer of Gavin Godfrey is very expensive for only two important species like the Uganda Kob (trophy fee over 4500 US) and the Nile Bishbuck.
I'm still waiting the answer from Chris Weth.

mario

Posts: 1421 | Location: northern italy | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Apparently the game is there in good numbers and safari operators are gearing up to offer hunts for species not available elsewhere. Nile buffalo is just one.

Dagga Boy,

We've been hunting Nile Buffalo for years. We have two different areas and a quota of 14 this year.
Rich Elliott

Rich Elliott
Ethiopian Rift Valley Safaris

Posts: 2013 | Location: Crossville, IL 62827 USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Rich. I didn't know that you had Nile buffalo. Keep me straight when you see I've overlooked something. And keep up the good work you and the Roussos' are doing.
While I have you, are you doing the big crocs now? And what's the status of lions in Ethiopia?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Dagga Boy,

Nothing different on the Croc's. Lake Chamo is still closed. I heard recently that some of the big croc's had died. Likely they starved to death.
Lots on lion in the Ogaden but that is politically off limits as I write this. Look for many changes in Ethiopia in the next few years.
Rich Elliott

Rich Elliott

Posts: 2013 | Location: Crossville, IL 62827 USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For the better, I hope, Rich. I know the opportunities there are fantastic.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
One of my favorite places...

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
Rich

How well are the lions maned in Ethiopia?

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Brett.
I've never personally been down there. Now is not the time to go either. Lions I've seen other pklaces were just average...if there is such a lion.
Rich Elliott

Rich Elliott