Find
Notify
Tools

Hippo Teeth for knife handle?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted
Are Hippo teeth strong and do they last or crack with age?
I might have a custom knife made up and not sure if this would make a good handle.

this style of knife.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Safari-Hunt
posted Hide Post
ozhunter,

What a coincidence, I just picked up my new hunting knife that was hand made by Ras Venter. I'm very happy with it.

Swedish steel 12c 27 @ between 58 - 60 RC.
The bolster is plain stainless 303 and the handle made from Giraffe bone. Big Grin

Total length of knife 24cm.

Anyway coming back to hippo teeth as a knife handle he told me that it is very difficult to work with it as it shatters when being worked on not just breaking or cracking. A hard knock or fall on hard surfaces could damgae it very quickly. You can use it as a handle but more of a showpiece knife than a working knife.

Frederik Cocquyt
I always try to use enough gun but then sometimes a brainshot works just as good.

Posts: 2549 | Location: Pretoria, Gauteng, South Africa | Registered: 06 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JohnHunt
posted Hide Post
I made several knives from Giraffe bone. Super dense and strong material. Stunk like hell grinding it... almost caused a divorce.

Posts: 1678 | Registered: 16 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Adam,
I've also heard hippo ivory is prone to cracking but yield to others, especially with knife making experience, on this board.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote