New
Find
Notify
Tools

Renewed faith in PHASA
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
PHASA has decided to prosecute the South African outfitter I filed a complaint against in 2002. The outfitter is charger with 7 counts of Breach of PHASA Constitution / Code of conduct. The hearing is set for July 13.

Robert Johnson

Posts: 599 | Location: Soldotna Alaska | Registered: 05 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of invader66
posted Hide Post
If you can, for those of us that do not know the system, more info please.

Semper Fi
WE BAND OF BUBBAS
STC Hunting Club

Posts: 1684 | Location: Walker Co,Texas | Registered: 27 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
The new president has really come in with a bang and although I've not been a fan of PHASA for some years I honestly believe he's going to clean up the industry - and all the while he keeps the momentum going on the current issues I for one will support him as much as I can.

Here's a quote from a recent newsletter

"PHASA has appointed senior council to assist us catch up the huge backlog of disciplinary work. Many of these will go to hearing, something that has never happened before but is part of our constitutional process. This shows how serious we are to clean up our act!"

It's about time they started kicking a few asses.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Invader66

Do you want to know how to file a complaint with PHASA? or are you wanting more info on my complaint?

Robert Johnson

Posts: 599 | Location: Soldotna Alaska | Registered: 05 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Robert johnson:
PHASA has decided to prosecute the South African outfitter I filed a complaint against in 2002. The outfitter is charger with 7 counts of Breach of PHASA Constitution / Code of conduct. The hearing is set for July 13.

Congratulations! Is that Mr. Wagner? (I will edit this post to remove the name if it is not.)

Also, can you post a link to the hunt report on this incident?

I recall some of the details from before and the treatment you received was inexcusable.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of invader66
posted Hide Post
Have never hunted there. Just wondered, if you
don't mind, what happned, the complaint process,
what legal standing PHASA has. What they can do for you and to the offending parties involved.
Thank you
Gene

Semper Fi
WE BAND OF BUBBAS
STC Hunting Club

Posts: 1684 | Location: Walker Co,Texas | Registered: 27 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Invader66
you have a pm, with all of the info.
I don't to post anything until the hearing is over. Skakari or someone else will have a better understanding of PHASA powers.

Robert Johnson

one of us
posted Hide Post
The new leadership seems switched on.
There is lately an INFO letter circulated to members on e-mail, already a positive move for communication.
If PHASA can now also demonstrate that it has teeth, credibility will improve too. Somehow my few clients have never bothered to even ask if I were a member, but if membership might indicate relatively more "compliance to doing things right", clients will soon demand that. This, in turn, should support the SA hunting industry.
Internet transparancy helps hugely too.
Lochi.

Hunters pay for conservation. Without funds from hunting the African game cannot survive.
www.affordableafricanhunting.com

Posts: 240 | Location: Johannesburg, South Africa | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
I'm just a grass roots member and not a member of the Executive - but here's the situation as I understand it.

To cut a long story short, if found guilty of miscoduct the guilty party can have his PHASA membership suspended or cancelled. Then they inform the various Nature Conservancies who can then suspend or cancel the PH or Outfitters licence either for a set period or permanently. Thus the guilty party is put out of business.

As far as I know that's as far as it goes, but I'm sure that (assuming a complaint was upheld) PHASA could advise whether further action of some kind could be taken by a complainant.

one of us
posted Hide Post
PHASA has made their ruling! They have found Wayne Wagner guilty of the main complaint of Permitting and /or Arranging a cape buffalo hunt without a written contract, And not guilty on the six other related charges. Wagner's punishment is to be a severe reprimand from PHASA. At first glance a reprimand might not seem like a harsh punishment for someone found guilty, But this ruling is a giant first step for the "new" PHASA to show they are serious about confronting and disciplining any and all members found guilty of misconduct. Only time will tell if the PHASA executive committee has the power and ability to truly self police their membership.

Last I heard PHASA has 40 other cases currently being investigated. Everybody in the hunting community ( hunters and outfitters ) should email PHASA encouraging them to investigate and prosecute all fraudulent behavior. PHASA info@phasa.co.za

Robert Johnson

One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted Hide Post
just sent them an email.

On the website the email they have listed is phasa@pixie.co.za

Just so you guys can send emails to both. Now get writing. It is up to us to advocate for the cleaning up of the hunting community or else others (read: bunny huggers) will do it for us and I would be willing to be that we wouldn't like the outcome.

Posts: 2153 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 23 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Robert

Unfortunately as satisfying as it is to get a result against the man vs no action at all, it still sounds like a slap on the wrist to me.

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Robert,

I am glad PHASA took some action, as Mr. Wagner's bait and switch operation was completely reprehensible.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nitrox
Your right, From day one I knew I would never get any sort of real compensation, or criminal judgment. But I did not want my complaint to be dismissed or explained as a simple misunderstanding. I thank the executive committee for at least looking into my complaint.

You know you are in trouble when your PH has the directions to the hunting concession written on a piece of paper, and he still gets lost!

Robert Johnson

One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted Hide Post
What exactly happened? Anyone have a link?

Posts: 2153 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 23 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Any interested parites going to Reno might look up Stewart Dorrington and give hin a big "ATTA BOY"! He bring a sense of urgency and strong ethics to a previously innefective organization.

Posts: 1339 | Registered: 17 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bulldog563:
What exactly happened? Anyone have a link?

Bulldog You have a pm

Robert Johnson

one of us
posted Hide Post
My understanding is that the PHASA presidency term lasts just 2 years. Despite all the good intentions of Stewart Dorrington and his team, 2 years is a fraction of time and one only hopes that his successor will be equally motivated and dedicated to clearing the industry.

i only wish other countries could learn from and emulate the current PHASA leadership.

"...Them, they were Giants!"
J.A. Hunter describing the early explorers and settlers of East Africa

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3035 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote