Find
Notify
Tools

Sable or Roan?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The Roan is considered rare and occupy hard, hot and rugged country. The harder the better for this secretive antelope. You will them in barren craggy hill country and they often seek the high ground of shadeless ridges and knife edge scarps. This calls for hunting.

Roan possess amazing eyesight and will always see you first. They are blessed with extraordinary hearing and generally are of a nervous disposition. To sight a Roan is not too difficult but to hunt that particular animal is hunting at it's finest. Nine times our of ten it will outwit you.
Given a choice and money was no option which would you chose?

I actually took my Roan before I ever got an opportunity on Sable. Everything you said is totally correct about my Roan hunting experience. We saw huge herds in the open and they would take off when we were within 5 miles of them. (Ibanda Camp, Tanzania at the Uganda/Rwanda border) However, this one thought he was camoflauged. I took him at about 250 yds.

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by D. Nelson:
quote:
The Roan is considered rare and occupy hard, hot and rugged country. The harder the better for this secretive antelope. You will them in barren craggy hill country and they often seek the high ground of shadeless ridges and knife edge scarps. This calls for hunting.

Roan possess amazing eyesight and will always see you first. They are blessed with extraordinary hearing and generally are of a nervous disposition. To sight a Roan is not too difficult but to hunt that particular animal is hunting at it's finest. Nine times our of ten it will outwit you.
Given a choice and money was no option which would you chose?

I actually took my Roan before I ever got an opportunity on Sable. Everything you said is totally correct about my Roan hunting experience. We saw huge herds in the open and they would take off when we were within 5 miles of them. (Ibanda Camp, Tanzania at the Uganda/Rwanda border) However, this one thought he was camoflauged. I took him at about 250 yds.

Terrific bull and very handsome.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9956 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
...and very handsome.

And of course you were referring to the hunter!!!

Best regards, D. Nelson

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by D. Nelson:
quote:
...and very handsome.

And of course you were referring to the hunter!!!

Best regards, D. Nelsono

Beautiful facial markings!!!

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post

I love hunting the hippotrages! Sable are beautiful... but roan and the places they are hunted seem more exotic!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
bwanamrm,

Totally agree and Roan inhabit what I would refer to as old Africa. That is a beauty you have there.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Good Roan taken in Munyamadzi by walk and stalk. Bow hunter Steve Kobrine who shot this animal in the chest at a measured 130 yards.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
Picture of David_B
posted Hide Post
130 yds with a bow? Holy Moly! I would go for the sable

Posts: 62 | Location: VA | Registered: 04 September 2010Reply With Quote