New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Judging Kudu Trophy
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
That kudu of Anders is the best looking one in the post.Hard to believe it is 46-48 when comparing it to the others and their listed scores.I have taken 6 now and looked over hundreds and I guess all this means is that I still don't know what I am looking at.

Posts: 1370 | Location: Shreveport,La.USA | Registered: 08 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good thought provoking thread. I also wonder how many 50+ Kudu are stated to be so by the PH, but are never measured in front of or by the client? I bet there are a lot of -50" kudu that are on walls right now and stated to be 50+, same thing goes with 55", probably lot's of 50's.

For me it doesn't matter much. For the most part shooting trophy animals on guided hunts says more about the guide or area then it does my abilities. I've shot more then 1 145" deer that measured out to be 130's

Posts: 543 | Location: Belmont, MI | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've only shot one kudu, 54+ was almost 12 in. at the bases. What is good mass on a big kudu bull? I really have no idea as I've only measured one.

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bwanahile
posted Hide Post
Canuck,

Is that a muzzle brake I see on your rifle? Say it isn't so...............

Posts: 757 | Location: Nashville/West Palm Beach | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bwanahile
posted Hide Post
Sorry about the gun issues with the states, glad to hear it was not a muzzle brake on the rifle. Would have required impeachment as a forum moderator!!

Posts: 757 | Location: Nashville/West Palm Beach | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Widowmaker416
posted Hide Post
1jDaniel,

Great Kudu, where did you hunt? that's one to be proud of! Great going....

Posts: 1782 | Location: New Jersey USA | Registered: 12 July 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Scott, I was less than a foot off!

Ahh, the power of suggestion! I should have known you were the type of guy who wouldn't balk at going the other way. A great looking kudu and a great post!

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hunted in Zim, w/HHK Safaris 2004

Posts: 134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Widowmaker416
posted Hide Post
muzzle brakes! I agree with Canuck 100%! boy do I hate them! Friend of mine had one on a .338, told him I wouldn't hunt with him any more if he used that thing!

Last year at the SCI convention he bid and bought a Rem .416.

Posts: 1782 | Location: New Jersey USA | Registered: 12 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Anders
posted Hide Post
Quote:

But, to illustrate that its not the inches that matter, but having a quality hunt and having the opportunity to collect an animal that is a trophy to you.

Thats what I think as well. Big trophies is a bonus.

We`re definetly in the same situation. I wanted a 50-55 kudu bull. But my most important criteria was that the tips should turn out. I ended up taking this one:

He measures 46-48,5 (bases around 11), and thats not even a bronze medal, I guess. But almost.
On the other hand, it must be a pretty big difference between green score and final score. Anyone who knows how much..?

Posts: 1959 | Location: Norway | Registered: 19 September 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Sorry about the gun issues with the states, glad to hear it was not a muzzle brake on the rifle. Would have required impeachment as a forum moderator!!

I'm not a fan of muzzle brake's at all, so I can agree with you on that one.

Canuck

Posts: 7122 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That is a lovely configuration, Anders.
- mike

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Keep in mind that an Eastern Cape Kudu is normally much smaller than his Northern cousin of RSA or Zimbabwe...A good average Eastern Cape Kudu is about 42 inches although many are shot at 48 and 49 inches and some at 50 to 52 inches with a very rare individual at 60 or whatever...

The Northern variety, be it a species or whatever, as that is an ongoing arguement is never the less larger on the average by a good deal...I have found a 53 inch to be the norm, with many of them going 54 to 56, then it gets tough but some 57 to 58 inchers are shot every year on and around us and usually a couple or more at around 60 and maybe a bit over that from time to time...both in RSA and Zimbabwe (when I hunted Zim.)

The largest Kudu I have ever seen came out of the area between Chinhoyi and Doma, with many in the 58 to 60 and better class, Sable as well at 40 to 46, but alas that seems to have come to an end, as recent reports show poaching has all but decimated that wonderful area...I have a tape showing over a 100 bull Kudu in one bunch, with several in the record class catagory, filmed in 1999 as I recall....

I don't know what the Kudu/Sable situation in Zimbabwe is today other than hunters reports to me indicate they have suffered greatly in numbers and qualitity.

Posts: 42156 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Guys, For comparison, here is a pic of the kudu I took in Zim this July.

Note how narrow the spread is. However, the great depth of curl resulted in a length of 59" on his right horn and 58 3/4" on his left. Interestingly, the horn that appears to be shorter is actually the slightly longer one. It just goes to show how important the depth of curl is to the length measurement. Unfortunately, it's also one factor that is difficult to fully assess in the field. Needless to say, I am very pleased with him in spite of his "lack of spread".

Posts: 152 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 03 December 2004Reply With Quote