Find
Notify
Tools

Random Thoughts on Reno 2006
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted
I spent 3 1/2 days at the SCI Convention. While I had no agenda, some things were rather evident. Roll Eyes

The number of non hunting vendors has increased over 2005. There was one vendor that looked like a junk table at a swap meet thumbdown I was talking with an outfitter from BC, they were the only hunting related vendor in that section.

Buzz Charlton had some great Elephant video running and I enjoyed talking with him. John Lasala was enjoying a lot of traffic at his booth. I think every ranch owner with over 25 acres is trying to sell elk hunts at prices that don't excite me, as long as someone is willing to pay I guess. Almost forgot, Mark Sulivan is still "holding court" in front of the monitor showing "deadly charges by wounded buffalo"

I missed some of the used firearms vendors from last year. I looked at three doubles in 375 Flanged. Someone had tried to refinish the stock on one, a real mess, on another, every screw looked like it had been abused with a jack hammer. Both were represented as great buys pissers Kreighoff had a new one in the flanged mag, very nice, but big $$$$

CZ donated a 450 Rigby, upgraded stock, leather case, to a "Hunters Silent Auction", boy did my bid get wacked Big Grin

Talked to the Winchester group on Wednesday, they verified their demise and hoped someone would step up to purchas the operation. I noticed all displayed M 70's were sold.

Overall I had the feeling that attendance was down from last year, there were more vendors (I believe there 7 vendors selling the same "African Wines"), fewer outfitters. This year there were long lines waiting for transportation from the Silver Legacy, fewer busses??????? Don't know. I heard comments that the busses were not as nice as last year, don't remember.

As ususal, some great taxidermy. There was the 11"4" bear, standing next to it I was wondering if my 416 was "enough gun". Anyone ever take a bear with a 470 NE lol

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
Never been to the Reno show but from what I hear it is very expensive for an outfitter to get a table. I wonder if it is becoming too expensive of a show for the average guy. There is also a lot of competition so an outfitter has to be on his game. I have never hunted with any guide who spends much time on the show scene. I try to stay with smaller operations and the guys I use stay booked up years in advance from repeat clients. Not saying that any outfitter who shows at Reno or any other large show is better or worse. Hunting seems to be turning into a commercial operation. It will be interesting what things are like in 20 years!

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Widowmaker416
posted Hide Post
I was at the show all 4 days.

This is my 6th year coming to the SCI convention

I thought the show was excellent, as good as it's ever been, I manged to keep myself real busy the whole time. your the first, and I sure not the last to complain about it.

Wait till next year, they plan to have about 400 more booth spaces!!

I talked to a taxidermist friend of mine who has a booth there, they said doing that show costs them about 10 grand, but it's well worth it! Alot of outfitters and safari companies said this year was their best ever, a couple even made a remark about going to Dallas, they were sold out already, didn't know what to do there for hunts.

And about your 416 being enough gun - - Yes it is!!!

"America's Meat - - - SPAM"

As always, Good Hunting!!!

Widowmaker416

Posts: 1782 | Location: New Jersey USA | Registered: 12 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jim,

I did notice the flea market type display of glass ware. Might have been very nice stuff but it looked out of place. I also thought it was less crowded but people were definitely in the market for hunts and not just looking.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I thoroughly enjoyed the show. If I can find one thing to gripe about it is that every day my legs and feet got tired. I have walked ten to fifteen miles in a day's hunting and got less tired.

If one wants to book a hunt, it is hard not to find what one wants. The converse is that it is difficult to choose among ten Argentina outfits that all look like you would have a great time with. The same is true for any area in which one might want to hunt.

My buddy Wayne booked a leopard hunt in Zim after talking to ten or so outfits. I didn't book a hunt, nor did I buy one at auction this year (I did buy one last year), but I managed to pick up several hunt donations for our chapter fundraiser and to buy my wife a print of red-breasted nuthatches. While at the BladeTec booth I ordered a knife which I am anxiously awaiting arrival of. I also got a chance to catch up on things with outfitters with which I have hunted in the past.

The AR meeting at the giraffe bar was nice. Christer (CC Hunter) did a great job organizing the dinner on Friday, which was great fun. Bill Stewart was there and managed to keep pulling out one more copy of his book for us. I bought one and have enjoyed it immensely. Ron (Widowmaker416), his buddy Frank, and also Ed (dae au jagter (sic)) became friends to Wayne and me, which was another plus to this year's convention. It was also nice to see others who I met last year. N'gagi is bigger than he was then. He and Christer make a pair that would swamp a humvee. While Kathi missed the dinner, she did make the giraffe bar meeting. I hope she lets us know about room bargains again. The Atlantis for $59/night is great.

Wayne and I went to Craig Boddington's presentation on buffalo hunting and enjoyed that very much. I can say that whatever I attend in the way of presentations I learn something and this was no exception.

I suspect that next year's show will be just as much fun, and that there will be close to 5000 booths there.

THE LUCKIEST HUNTER ALIVE!

Posts: 853 | Location: St. Thomas, Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 08 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Widowmaker416
posted Hide Post
George you have a PM

Widowmaker416

Posts: 1782 | Location: New Jersey USA | Registered: 12 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Two questions.

1. Did you see Carmello?

2. Did anybody make good on their threat to kick his a##?

Big Grin

DC300

Posts: 334 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 12 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
Jeez, I missed him. rotflmo

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
DC300: Patience, we need to exercise patience...jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
Forgot to mention I attended the Seminar by Gene Decker from Colorado State titled "If we stopped all hunting". It was excellent with lots of information to use when confronted by the antis.

Terry, I can scan the information and send it to you if you would like to post it.

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

one of us
posted Hide Post
After attending five or six SCI conventions in Reno I always have the same complaint. Few places to sit and rest awhile. I guess you have to book a hunt to be able to use a chair but that’s not necessarily a bad thing either.

Marshall Jones

Posts: 192 | Location: Redding, CA | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Spent all 4 days there. Had a GREAT time. Wow. Will do it different next time but I still enjoyed myself immensly.

Pancho
LTC, USA, RET

"Participating in a gun buy-back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids." Clint Eastwood

Give me Liberty or give me Corona.

Posts: 937 | Location: Roswell, NM | Registered: 02 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Widowmaker416
posted Hide Post
Hey Pancho!

What would you do different?

Did you come to the AR meeting at the Giraffe lounge on Friday, don't remember seeing you there..

Widowmaker416

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ron: I did manage to talk to Buffalo Range and get semi-serious with them. They spoke highly of you. Unfortunately, a family medical emergency took us away early Friday morning, but we did get our Namibian leopard hunts booked. Maybe next year will work out better, and we will see what works out.

Posts: 1517 | Location: Idaho Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
JBoutfishn,
Thought the show was great. At Saturday night dinner they announced early results as to number of members and revenue-both exceeded last year. Promised next year to be even bigger.
bobga

Posts: 201 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hughiam
posted Hide Post
This was my second year at the show as a vendor, and yes, its expensive. I beleive our booth cost was $3,000.00, plus the donation of a $1,200 bow set up. That, plus travel, hotel, meals etc, put us over $7,000.00 for the show. Sadly, as a vendor we get very little time to do our own shopping and try to squeeze in a few blitz runs throughout the duration of the show. The numbers were down a bit, and according to our taxi driver, way down, but I don't know actual attendance. There were between 1,850-2,400 booths. The news said 1,850 vendors, the program lists 2,400 booths, but some vendors rent more that one booth space. We had also heard that the show is to expand in the next few years.

Hugh

Pro Staff for:
In Natures Image Taxidermy

Posts: 448 | Location: Palmer, AK | Registered: 17 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of f224
posted Hide Post
I was their for the first three days. This year they added space between the rows of booths, making more room to pass people. It made it look a bit less crowded. I have not heard the final number, but my early info was that attendance was up.

The best thing about the convention is you can meet the PH's and Outfiitters. Noting like looking into a fellow hunters face to determing if you can get along with this person in a remote location for 5-30 days.

Captain Dave Funk
Operator
www.BlaserPro.com

Posts: 841 | Location: Dallas, Iowa, USA | Registered: 05 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Widowmaker416
posted Hide Post
Blank
quote:
I did manage to talk to Buffalo Range and get semi-serious with them. They spoke highly of you. Unfortunately, a family medical emergency took us away early Friday morning, but we did get our Namibian leopard hunts booked. Maybe next year will work out better, and we will see what works out.

Blank,

Glad you got to talk with Buffalo Range, they are very good people! I plan to hunt with them next year also, maybe I'll see you in camp!Can't do it this year going to New Zealand. Good luck on your Leopard safari! Safe journey!

sure hope your family is ok, my best to them.

talk soon

Widowmaker416