Notify
Tools

Re: Buddy the Wonder Dog
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted
So JCN ol' buddy, how much you want for the pooch? jorge

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, he was whining about it for a week. He got the chick (one look at the lead off picture and you'll know why). At least I got a nap and some fried quail, even if I did have to sleep on the couch.
JCN

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey guys,
Obviously Buddy isn't for sale.
Even though he looks like a Dachschund, his official AKA breed designation is "Cooter Hound".
Buddy put me in a bit of a quandry a few years back. I was driving up into Sands Basin last fall to do some bird hunting. Magda and Uta, my German Shorthair Pointers were on the flat bed in back, and I had a 20 gauge Benelli and a box of high brass shells. Buddy was in the front of the truck, just enjoying the Saturday drive. We rounded a bend and I slowly passed a cow girl taking her barrel racing horse out for a conditioning ride. There was also some sage brush near the road.
Wouldn't you know it, Magda and Uta, AND Buddy all went on point simultaneously. What was a guy to do???? My path would have been clear if I was 25 or 65, but 45 years old is that awkward, in between age. Cooter still smells really good, but you know that frying up a plate of California Valley Quail is a less involved undertaking.

I know what you guys are thinking; ask the girl if she would watch my puppy dog while I shot some quail, then go home with her and have her cook the quail.

Things work differently here in Idaho though. I had her tie the horse to the back of the truck, gave her the shotgun and shells, told the Shorthairs to go with the girl, Buddy and I took a nap on the back of the flatbed, then we went to my place and I cooked the birds that she shot and cleaned.

I just wish she would have taken her spurs off before she got into bed.

JCN

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
JCN:

Did those spurs hurt Buddy that badly?

Posts: 7714 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote