THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    How long does it take for trophies to ship from SA...

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How long does it take for trophies to ship from SA...
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
...once they are crated?

(I hope I'm posting this in the right section)

I recently contacted Karoo Taxidermy in South Africa; they are handling my dip and pack order. They only got the trophies at the end of March and I was pleasantly surprised when they initially told me I could expect them to be stateside by July.

Now, I was REALLY surprised when I got an update today saying that the trophies are now already packed and just waiting on "export permits from nature conservation." Now, I'm under no delusions and understand that I am presently on "South Africa time," but am I closer than expected to getting these things back? There's no rush on this as I was quite astounded that they even gave me a July initial estimate, I'm just curious.

Thanks for your input.

Posts: 159 | Location: Bellevue, NE, USA | Registered: 05 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
It can be two months or two years. From RSA I expect to see something about a year after the safari itself. Good luck with Karoo.

Posts: 4881 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wildlife Gallery
posted Hide Post
Luis,

I've had customer's shipments come to the shop as quick as 4 months and have waited as long as 3 years. It always varies based on the timeliness of the outfitter and dip & pack.

The 4 month shipment was handled by Chifuti Safari's and Andy Hunter dip & pack in Zimbabwe. The 3 year ordeal I won't discuss because I think there is 2 sides to every story. Another factor in all shipments is also cities animals. That alone can slow the process depending on how quickly the hunter takes care of the permits as well as the outfitter.

Not sure any of this helps because there is never a hard fast rule when trying to figure out how much time it takes for dip, pack & ship....DAN

Committing ourselves to world class turnaround and quality.
www.thewildlifegallery.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My shipment from RSA was delivered to the forwarder on 4/1. I was contacted with a quote 2 weeks later. My crate was on a plane on 4/29 and arrived at JFK on 4/30. My importer informed me that the items are still at JFK awaiting another hunters shipement. (this was on 5/13). More than one shipment were included in this.. He hopes to have them to my door by the end of this month.. Here I paid for AIR freight and have to wait for someone else's crate to arrive?? Not too happy about that but atleast they are only 40 miles from home!

Just being patient now..They will arrive soon...Yours will to.

Posts: 59 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: 08 July 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Luis L, once my crated trophies reached the exporter, it took less than 2 wks., and they were in Chicago. 4 days later, after clearing, they were in my hands.

Mad Dog

Posts: 1184 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 17 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Alright guys - thanks for the different perspectives. No rush on this stuff at all. Truthfully, I'm in no rush to part with any more money after getting back from this hunt only a couple of months ago. I am pretty shocked they had already prepped my stuff that fast, but I did get my hunt done well early in the season, so maybe I shouldn't be all that surprised. It will be intersting to see how the timeline unfolds from here and I'll be sure to give an update.

Posts: 159 | Location: Bellevue, NE, USA | Registered: 05 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Oday450
posted Hide Post
Trophies taken in SA in June and shipped via sea freight were delivered to the taxidermist in January.

Buffalo taken in Zim in September, processed by Andy Hunter, sent to SA, then via air freight was delivered to the taxidermist in December.

"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult."

Posts: 1313 | Location: The People's Republic of Maryland, USA | Registered: 05 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of leopards valley safaris
posted Hide Post
I use Karoo Taxidermy often as Im based 80km From Graaff-Rienet. They are a good outfit.
My trophies on average take 3-4months for dip and pack and 5-7 months for taxidermy to be delivered in the US.
This depends on
1. Did the outfitter hand in the correct paperwork with the trophies.
2. All C.I.T.E.S and T.O.P.S documents are in order
3.the deposit is paid on request - they only start the work on payment.
4.Is the final payment on time - they only crate on final payment.

the above are very important for a speedy delivery.
Karoo Taxidermy tu2
first rate
dave

Dave Davenport
Outfitters license HC22/2012EC
Pro Hunters license PH74/2012EC
www.leopardsvalley.co.za
dave@leopardsvalley.co.za
+27 42 24 61388
HUNT AFRICA WHILE YOU STILL CAN
Follow us on FACEBOOK https://www.facebook.com/#!/leopardsvalley.safaris

Posts: 980 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 06 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of leopards valley safaris
posted Hide Post
P.S. If trophies are processed in SA ie taxidermy, rugs,tanned skins, skull bleaches etc. they dont need to go to a bonded agent and can be delivered to your door.

Dave Davenport
Outfitters license HC22/2012EC
Pro Hunters license PH74/2012EC
www.leopardsvalley.co.za
dave@leopardsvalley.co.za
+27 42 24 61388
HUNT AFRICA WHILE YOU STILL CAN
Follow us on FACEBOOK https://www.facebook.com/#!/leopardsvalley.safaris

Posts: 980 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 06 December 2009Reply With Quote