Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Found NIB LH Mod 70 375 H&H
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Home || Info. & News | Search | New || Catalog > Model 70 > Back Sept. 18, 2004

Model 70 Classic, Safari Express (Left Hand)

Dangerous game calls for hard-hitting calibers. Answer the call with a Model 70 Safari Express. This rifle is built for heavy cartridges and has been designed to exceed the needs of today's Africa-bound hunters, providing them with legendary reliability � when it's needed most. Comfortable and quickly shouldered, you'll appreciate the Classic Model 70 action with pre-'64 type claw extractor design, large recoil pad footprint, dual recoil lugs and express-style rear sight. For once-in-a-lifetime hunts, this is all the rifle you'll need.

For more information or to locate a firearm please click on the underlined item number of the firearm you are interested in.

Item Number Caliber/Ga Barrel
Length Overall
Length Length
of Pull Drop
at Comb
Drop
at Heel Nom.
Weight MSRP

535028138 375 H&H Mag. 24" 44 3/4" 13 3/4" 9/16" 1 5/16" 8 lbs. 8 oz. $1,186

NOTES: ****For additional capacity, add one round in chamber. 1. Drops are measured from center line of bore. 2. Twist is right hand. 3. Scopes, bases and /or rings are not included unless otherwise noted. Suggested retail prices are in U.S. dollars and are subject to change without notice.

It means that the rifle is New In Box...unfired except at the factory of course.
Don't know why the photo did not print out but it is a left handed bolt rifle and you can see the photo on my web page www.huntrs-hq.com. Just click on the Current Guns button.
Thanks for your interest.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Texas | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Harry I may have an interest in the left handed 375. I know little about different guns. Could you tell me more about this gun and what is a NIB winchester model 70?

Thanks
George

Posts: 26 | Location: Pittsburgh PA USA | Registered: 05 January 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post

Picture from Winchester's website

Item Number - 535028138

Caliber/Ga - 375 H&H Mag.

Barrel Length - 24"

Overall Length - 44 3/4"

Length of Pull - 13 3/4"

Drop at Comb - 9/16"

Drop at Heel - 1 5/16"

Nom. Weight - 8 lbs. 8 oz.

George,

If you are left handed and looking for a .375 H&H, you should seriously consider this rifle. It is my understanding that left handed .375 H&Hs are hard to find. This is the classic Model 70 with controlled-round-feed (CRF), a necessity for dangerous game rifles. Get a gunsmith to glass bed it and smooth out the trigger (if needed) and you have all the rifle you will ever need.

Here is the link to Harry's webpage Hunters HQ

Regards,

Terry

P.S.

Mims, put that Crown Royal bottle down. You can't even get a link to your webpage correct.

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
NIB = new in box

Posts: 932 | Location: Delaware, USA | Registered: 13 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Thanks Terry!

one of us
posted Hide Post
GeorgeAK
I have not heard anything about requiring a caliber larger than 375H&H. Anything is possible but I don't believe that will happen.
I also sell Mod. 70's and Dakota Arms in 416 Rem. Mag. but...no left hand offerings from Win. (except from custom shop) sooooo...
In the many years I have been selling firearms I have never sold a 416 Wby. I think I may have ordered some ammo for a client once but not even sure about that.
I do not even know somebody that owns a 416 Wby. but I know a truckload of folks that own the Rem. Mag. or Rigby version. That should tell you something.
The Rem. Mag. far outsells the Rigby in the years I have been selling big bore rifles. Matter of fact...I sell as many 416 Rem. Mags. as I sell 375 H&H.
At least you have a good chance of finding ammo in Africa for the Rem. Mag. and the Rigby. I have no idea where you would find Wby. in 416.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Harry,
Thanks for the information. I do have interest in the gun but I was at a gun show today and learned that some of the countries are considering changing the minimum caliber for DG to 4.0 or larger. Have you heard this and do you know if it is true? I am looking for this gun for that purpose for some time in the future. I met a another person at the show that has a weatherby lefty in 416 weatherby mag. Is this a good caliber and is getting ammo difficult in other countries?

Thanks
George

Posts: 26 | Location: Pittsburgh PA USA | Registered: 05 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I met a another person at the show that has a weatherby lefty in 416 weatherby mag. Is this a good caliber and is getting ammo difficult in other countries?

Thanks
George

Neither the Weatherby action nor the .416 Wby is a good choice. The weatherby has some reliability issues and the .416 is loaded too hot, making it difficult to handle and giving pressure problems.

If you want something above .40, get a model 70 in .416 Rem Mag, or get one in another caliber and rebarrel it.

Quote:

I�ll start with my least favourite rifle:- the Weatherby. We don�t often see them out here, thank goodness. The one we had this year exhibited the usual Weatherby failing of going off when the safety catch was disengaged. Like all I�ve seen with this problem, they work fine on the range. It is only after they have been bounced, bumped or jolted whilst loaded and on safe that they do this. I�m sure the problem is correctable and not all do it, however, this one would also not extract at all after the eighth round. It showed decidedly sticky extraction after the first three shots and finally died on number eight. It gives me great pleasure than to dig out my 2lb hammer and beat the bolt of a new rifle open whilst giving the owner a lecture on the benefits of reloading. Weatherby factory ammo always gives extraction problems and needs to be down loaded for use in hot conditions. The .460 is notorious and this .416 proved no different.

http://www.african-hunter.com/lessons_learned.htm

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote