THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Taxidermy Enterprises (Bulawayo)/Bromley (Ruwa)

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Taxidermy Enterprises (Bulawayo)/Bromley (Ruwa)
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted
I am interested in having my elephant hide tanned in Zimbabwe before it is shipped back. Does anyone have any experience with either of these companies, good or bad, in terms of general taxidermy work or specifically tanning hides like elephant or hippo? Thanks in advance.

Mike

Posts: 21698 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i had one tanned in triangle. cost $10/sq.ft., i believe that that tannery is one taxidermy unlimited uses. they do good work, but the guy that did it for me used to manage the place. be careful with the new FWS regs. i'm not sure about import. they don't want products like a jacket or the like, but just a tanned hide with the right paperwork should be OK

Posts: 13461 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had Bromleys do some work for me two years ago. It was adequate, and reasonably priced. I wouldn't put it at the same standards as in the US, but on par with other African taxidermists. Overall there work was completed in a fairly timely manner (7 months, if I recall correctedly) and I was basically satisfied with the quality I received for the cost incurred. Not my highest of recommendations, but I would use them again for the right type of work.
Bill

Posts: 1088 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah, USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Thanks.

Another name I got was Presitgue Leather in Bulawayo. Anyone heard of them?

Mike

Posts: 21698 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Be careful if you are in any kind of hurry. I have been waiting on a shipment for ~ 18 months now. The work(Buff shoulder mount, croc rug and some other stuff) is said to have been completed about 30 days ago and is lined up for crating and shipping. They have been very good on returning emails but I reallly sense they are having a tough go of it due to in country conditions. Am checking on dip and ship export times now for my next trip. There seems to be a significant variation between the different operators.

Posts: 1339 | Registered: 17 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
had 5 shoulder mounts done by Matabeleland Taxidermy in Bulawayo 5 years ago and was pleased with the results. don't know if they are still in business, but worth an inquiry. owner is Don Reeves, email was mattaxidermy@telconet.co.zw. since all you are doing is tanning work, price is the main consideration i would think and they were quite a bit cheaper than Taxidermy Ent. in Bulawayo, plus the work looked good, was finished fairly quickly and the shipping they arranged went smoothly. good luck jerry

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13402 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i'll second on matabeleland - don did a bunch of stuff for me and it was good. i think he's still in zim, but he had started a shop in RSA

Posts: 13461 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can say with great emphasis that Taxidermy Enterprises is absolutely the SLOWEST company I have ever dealt with. 18 months for shipping is standard.

Jeff

Posts: 2857 | Location: FL | Registered: 18 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
Is Prestique Leather in an older house in Bulawayo and makes breifcases,guncases and other elephant leather items? If they are the same they do excellant work and I saw some dyed Elephant leather in some very pretty colors. The leather was top quality. Don Reeves does very nice paintings on Elephant ears. The best I've seen. He has moved to So. Africa but I believe is still connected to the shop in Bulawayo. I like their work very much. He is a very nice guy and I have known him about 10 years.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
speaking of painting ears, i had one tanned so i could get it painted here, taxidermy enterprises took it upon themselves to paint it there for 1500. told them to keep it and sent me the other ear

One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Mike make sure they do not cut it two thin..Also there is a brown color which looks real nice will post some pics later....

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Mike,
Have used Taxidermy Enterprises to tan ele skin twice. Did so on the advice of my US taxidermist and was pleased with the results. Much cheaper than here in the US but it is a slow process, but then again, taxidermy usually is.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote