Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Pre '64 .338 Winchester Magnum
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Savage99,

I agree with you that it is overpriced. It also has some handling/hunting marks, but not too bad.

However, that looks to me like the correct pad. In fact, it is the much more desirable pad. Other Pre-64 M70's in 338WM sometimes come with the Winchester "waffle" pad like the 300 Win Mags have.

Tim

Posts: 1430 | Location: California | Registered: 21 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can't recall if the discussion concerning this rifle was in the African forum or not, none the less I found this one at Cabela's gun room.
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/community/gun/gun-details.jhtml?contentId=246782_winpre338_kc&hierarchyId=11931.
Hopefully the link works, if not just go to the cabela's gun room & it's in the winchester section.
Happy shopping as my 15 yo daughter would say!

Posts: 359 | Location: 40N,104W | Registered: 07 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That's pretty expensive. Of course if someone has lots of money it's nothing to them.

The gun is banged up some and with the pad falls into the shooter catagory which is what I want. Not at that price however.

One should make sure that the LOP is not too short.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have bought rifles from Cabela's & they love to bicker on the prices of there guns. I have got them to knock 25% on a Ruger compact for one of my kids. If you look at the gun auction sites, all of the list prices are ridiculously high. If I want the market value of a rifle I can usually get it from the Gun List.

Posts: 359 | Location: 40N,104W | Registered: 07 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have owned five of these and currently own four, mine are in nicer shape than that one. I prefer these to anything else for serious hunting here in B.C. and feed mine 250 gr. N.P.s over RE-22, or, IMR-4350 for 2735fps MV. This really works!

That rifle, IMHO, is priced about 1/3 above what it is worth and nicer ones can be found at better prices. HOWEVER, there is not a finer or more reliable working rifle available than one of these.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The gun is priced out of line...They bring about $1200. in the gunlist and a good used one like that can be had for under a $1000 if you shop...

Posts: 41850 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote