New
Find
Notify
Tools

Zambizi Extreme Buzz Charlton Video
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I noticed that Buzz Charlton's promo video has been loaded to Hunters TV For those of you that are considering purchasing the video it's a great preview of what to expect. To get the full effect click ont the "Full Screen" icon on the bottom right and turn up your volume. If you have a good set of speakers it's almost as good as the real DVD. Great Action...Buzz is a real pro and cool when the action gets hot. There is an ele charge at 6 yards and he holds his ground. I'd want him as my PH if I want the true Elephant hunting experience!

From what I have read a lot of folks on AR have hunted with Buzz...let's hear your experience

Posts: 266 | Location: Connecticut | Registered: 12 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Great footage.
Frank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Richard Harland said the following about Buzz:

"Buzz is an excellent young man, great elephant hunter and NO bullshit - which is why I was happy to be associated with his DVD."

Mr. Harland's credentials need no explanation.

I hunted with Buzz last year and hunt with him again in a month. He is calm and careful and stays in control of the situation. He is also not afraid to get close, real close. A lot of places say, come as a client, leave as a friend. With Buzz it is the truth.

Mike

Posts: 21374 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
IF HARLAND RECOMMENDS HIM THAT SHOULD BE GOOD ENOUGH FOR ANYBODY!!!

Posts: 1224 | Location: Western Australia | Registered: 31 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Buzz is a clever fellow. I am in both of CM Safaris DVDs for the sole reason that what he charges to video your hunt is so cheap. I have checked out video services for other hunts and they are at least twice the cost. He saves money by ususally getting an apprentice hunter to do the filming (they work for practically nothing). He has a waiver for you to sign in case he wants to use any of your video for his productions. Over time he has accumulated a substantial amount of film that he has used to put together two outstanding DVDs. I am sure his revenue from their sales is quite respestable (for a hunting dvd) and they are very effective marketing tools. I have to admit it is a real charge to see myself in his videos. I keep Zambezi Extreme on my work computer and occassionally show clients (the non-bunny hugger types) my big scene with Allan getting chased by the Zambezi ladies in a mass charge. My clients look at their CPA much differently after that. I intend to keep hunting with CM Safaris until I am broke or dead.

You can borrow money, but you can't borrow time. Go now and get some good video.

STAY IN THE FIGHT!

Posts: 1849 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 25 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have the HONOR of appearing in both of Buzz's DVD's. He is not only a great hunter but just a great guy to spend time with. I had made 4 previuos trips to Africa with different outfitters before hunting with Buzz. Buzz is the only one I have ever hunted with twice and will hunt with him again and again if time,money and my wife allow. His trackers are also the best I have seen..AMAZING

If your parents didn't have any children chances are you won't either.

Posts: 473 | Location: Davie Florida | Registered: 15 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Agreed, Buzz and his staff run a good outfit. For ele hunting, he has great experience and is skilled at hunting in the deep jesse. Not for the faint of heart sometimes. Enjoyed my previous 24 days with him and am scheduled to hunt again in 09.

Dak

Posts: 495 | Location: USA | Registered: 25 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of trophyhunter5000
posted Hide Post
quote:
My clients look at their CPA much differently after that.

From one CPA to another...

I'm booked with CM for my first safari in August of 2009...

I will be hunting buff with Buzz as my PH...

I'd like to talk to him about tuskless as a possibility...

Now that the 15th has past I need to order a copy of his video....

I'll see if I can spot you since we CPAs are so conspicuous... Wink

Posts: 781 | Location: The Mountain State | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Trophyhunter5000,

After you get your Buffalo...put the head up in your office like I did. Don't worry about offending people as most of my clients are impressed (even in Southern California). One lady thought it was a moose!
You have done well to book with Buzz for your first safari. I think a ten day buf/tuskless would be perfect. Good luck and enjoy. It will not be your last trip to Africa. I leave tomorrow on my twelth trip to Africa (ten of them for hunting).

STAY IN THE FIGHT!

Posts: 1849 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 25 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
I've had three excellent elephant hunt experiences with Buzz (two of which are in the report links below), and will be returning to hunt tuskless/sable with him in August. Can't wait.

One of the things I like about Buzz, as you indicated, is that he is cool under pressure. He's not one of these guys who gets all hyper when it starts to get exciting and things begin happening fast. When I shot my bull, we stalked up behind the two feeding bulls, took a look, then fell back to discuss.

The conversation went something like this:

Buzz: What do you think?
Bill: Looks big, is he good enough?
Buzz: I think he's as good as we are going to find.
Bill: Okay then, lets do it.
Buzz: Alright!
[pause]
Bill: So...what should I do?
Buzz: Just walk up behind him, when you get about 10-paces from him he will sence you and swing around fast, then just brain him like you did the tuskless.
[pause]
Bill: Okay...

That's how I want to shoot my elephant.

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
I have never hunted with Buzz, but know him personally and he handed me his DVD on extreme hunting, here Mike... All of his DVD's are great and professionally done...
I would hunt with him in a flash...

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just finished the video. What a treat to see action and lots of "color" without recreates and product placement.
I just last week booked a good friend and myself on a 12 day tuskless hunt with Buzz, and am even more convinced that we made a good choice. I'm not going until July '09. How can I contain myself that long?

Posts: 1981 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Marty:
I'm not going until July '09. How can I contain myself that long?

Congratulations. You are in for the time of your life. My suggestion, start working on which rifle, which load, practice, practice, practice . . . the date will get here sooner than you think.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I leave tomorrow on my twelth trip to Africa (ten of them for hunting).

Good luck and good hunting...

quote:
I'm not going until July '09. How can I contain myself that long?

Marty,

I'm in the same boat as you....you'll be there one month before me....

Like Mike said, practice shooting....I've been going to the range every weekend....

I've also started getting in shape....I'll be hunting in Makuti and most of the guys who have hunted there said it is physically demanding...

Exercise and range time have helped me burn off allot of excess energy/excitement....but after watching that video I'm getting wound up again!!

Posts: 781 | Location: The Mountain State | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ahh...Makuti. I don't know of anyone who has hunted there who didn't think it was physically demanding...and some said it was too much. I thoroughly enjoyed my time there. The PH's also say it is quite rugged. My ele recovery was one to remember. We shot it at the bottom of the escarpment and had to take it back up to the top by hand.

I too can hardly wait until July '09 for my next elephant although mine will be in Caprivi this time. Now is the time to work on your fitness and shooting. It's probably too early to start packing though! Wink

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You guys realize all this isn't calming me down at all!
I am going to Makuti as well. This gives me incentive to be on a fitness program for the next year. Also to start loading and shooting the 470 and 375 magazine rifle.
I was thinking of loading the Barnes banded solids in the 375, hoping they would shoot to about the same point of impact as the triple-shocks I've been shooting.
When you guys say Makuti is rugged, rocky, hilly, heavy jesse, or all three?

Posts: 1981 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Marty:
When you guys say Makuti is rugged, rocky, hilly, heavy jesse, or all three?

Makuti has a lot of elevation change, which is what I found as the primary challenge. There are rocky streambeds and some rocky hillsides as well, but the climbing at speed was my biggest challenge.

I suppose the thickness of the jesse will depend on when you go and the rainfall, but I was told it is not so thick as in the Valley proper. We did have very high grass when I was there, but later in the season visibility would be better.

See my picture gallery linked below for some shots of the concession.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There is some jesse but most of it is hilly and rocky. The grass can be very high in some places. What kind of gets you is the rocks under the grass on the escarpment. That type of footing is unpredicatable.

I'll post some photos from my hunt of the terrain and the camp. Other guys like Mike Jines, Charles Helm, Bill Stewart, etc. can also speak to the Makuti environment.

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Makuti is a wonderful place. We saw kudu, sable, buffalo, eland, lion, zebra, etc., plus, literally hundreds of elephants. As noted above, it is the topography that makes this area challenging in my opinion. You are also at something like 5000 to 6000 feet above sea level which for someone that lives in the swamps of Houston adds to the challenge. I found that I actually liked going up hill better, going down hill can be tough on the toes.

That said, the area is by no means beyond the capabilities of a typical hunter. I just think being in shape means that you can take advantage of more opportunities and enjoy the hunt more. I am no pristine physical speciman by any means, so if I can enjoy a hunt there, just about anyone can.

Take a good pair of binos since a lot of hunting is spotting and stalking. You will have a great time.

Mike

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Mike,

Can I get you to autograph my copy?

I still think Buzz loves me the best.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19333 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'll post some photos from my hunt of the terrain and the camp. Other guys like Mike Jines, Charles Helm, Bill Stewart, etc. can also speak to the Makuti environment.

Excellent pics Bryan...

Thanks for posting...

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Will:

Your copy of what? My autograph actually detracts from the value of items unless it happens to be a check. Besides, I do not really sign things, I just make my "mark".

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I still think Buzz loves me the best.

No, he loves Norbert best.

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
quote:

Your copy of what? My autograph actually detracts from the value of items unless it happens to be a check. Besides, I do not really sign things, I just make my "mark".

Autograph the DVD cover or better yet the disk itself.

Or even better yet, do you have a autographed 8"x10" glossy photograph of bwana on the hunt?

I have a spot in the garage for it. Wink

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19333 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
I am not on the DVD, since I am not considered photogenic.

Too late on the glossy photos, they are were all used as loo paper in a supply crunch in Zim.

Thanks for the kind sentiments though.

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
The gent that got the elephant was also a client of "the one who shall not be named" in a charge situation with a hippo. No wonder, when at the campfire, he says he like to get up close and confrontational.

Great footage none the less.

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer
SCI
DSC

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Norbert
posted Hide Post
All what is said in previous post about Buzz as an outstanding elephant hunter and guide I can confirm absolutely. I performed many hunts (29) with different PH, but Buzz was with no exception the best.
I did at least 12 ele hunts with him. We started tuskless hunting in 1997, the second year of his carrier. We tested Makuti in 2006. We get over many charges. We hunted on farmland during seizing from war vets and during the election days 2008. It was always safe and peaceful. And so it is today.
The only challenge was getting close the eles and shooting at short distance.
I will go again and never with another PH on ele.

Posts: 279 | Location: Europe, Eifel hills | Registered: 12 January 2004Reply With Quote