THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Buffalo and lion in Tanzania-Masa�land or Selous?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Buffalo and lion in Tanzania-Masa�land or Selous?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of b.martins
posted
I have hunted Tanzania (Selous) three years ago with 3 friends, and buffalo was the main menu. We had already been to SA and Namibia and went once again to Namibia two years ago.
We intend to go on safari this year and two of my friends are mind set on hunting for cats this year as well as buffalo, and we have been considering a Tanzania hunt, now on Masa�land.

When inquiring around I have been told by some agents, outfitters, that we should go to Selous if our aim is buffalo and lion, as they are not very easy to harvest on Masa�.

Is this really so?
Are buffalos and lions so difficult to hunt on Masa�land?
Should one consider Masa�land only when seeking special antelopes like gerenuk, lesser kudu, etc�?

B.Martins

Posts: 538 | Location: Lisboa,Portugal | Registered: 16 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
No its not true..... Masailand generally has bigger Buffalo than the Selous, but it does not have so many of them and you certainly won't see herds of 200-1000 as you see in the Selous. Masailand Lions tend to have much better manes than the Selous Lions also. The bad news is that Masailand tends to be more expensive than the Selous.

As the cats only occur on a 21 day licence, and assuming that you were prepared to work for your pussy cats you would have sufficient time to be reasonably sure of getting them.

Wherever you choose to hunt in Tanzania in 2004 you need to move fairly quickly as the Lion & Leopard quotas sell out fast, and with the convention season upon us a lot will sell in the next few weeks.

one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
I do not know who was telling you that. Not necessarilly true.

There are areas of Masailand that you are not going to be able to find a cat easily, but there are just as many areas where one is more easily found.

The Buffalo run larger in Masailand, but the quota is more limited, due to fewer numbers.

There are concessions that hold Buff year round and concessions that you can only hunt for about a month.

Saying "I have hunted in Masailand" is like saying "I have hunted in the Rocky Mountains"

A little knowledge can be a dangerous thing.

I have a very good Lion/Buff and plainsgame hunt in Masailand if you are interested, I will e-mail you the particulars.

I just re-read your post. If you are looking at going this year, I would be cautious. A masailand hunt that has a Lion available this late in the game is cause for concern. (Not so in Selous)

If you must go this year, maybe you should consider the Selous.

Posts: 6254 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote