THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Man killed by croc on Kariba tributary

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Man killed by croc on Kariba tributary
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
http://www.zimbabwesituation.c...tary-the-zimbabwean/

Man killed by croc on Kariba tributary
Posted on July 8, 2014 by ZimSitRep_W
via Man killed by croc on Kariba tributary | The Zimbabwean 8 July 2014

Mac Bailey was killed by a crocodile last Sunday as he pulled his fishing yacht up the Gache Gache River bank on Lake Kariba.

The incident occurred close to Gache Gache Lodge, behind Bird Island, according to a co-owner of the place, Pat Townsend.

While the police could not be reached for a comment, a team that was dispatched to the scene located the crocodile, measuring about 4.2 metres, and shot it, Townsend said.

The police and Parks and Wildlife reaction teams also attended the scene. Townsend warned visitors to the area to be cautious to avoid similar incidents.

“Please let this be a serious wake up call to everyone who goes to Kariba. The crocs are brazen and follow boats, even houseboats. We hope that as there are plenty fish now, that they don’t need to attack people, but don’t tempt fate,” she said.

She advised tourists taking boat cruises and their children not to reach out into the water as they ran the danger of being attacked by the crocodiles.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9479 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
We were right there at that same spot or area around Bird Island a couple of weeks ago. I counted at least 5 big crocs right there around us, 13-14 footers. We cruised very close to Bird Island and disturbed some birds, as they flew out a big croc jumped out of the water not 20 ft from the boat to grab one of the Birds.......

Believe me, I woke up..........

Michael

http://www.b-mriflesandcartridges.com/default.html

The New Word is "Non-Conventional", add "Conventional" to the Endangered Species List!
Live Outside The Box of "Conventional Wisdom"

I do Not Own Any Part of Any Bullet Company, I am not in the Employ Of Any Bullet Company. I do not represent, own stock, nor do I receive any proceeds, or monies from ANY BULLET COMPANY. I am not in the bullet business, and have no Bullets to sell to you, nor anyone else.

Posts: 8426 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 23 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of editor-ant
posted Hide Post
The attack on the 6 July of Mac Bailey by a crocodile in the Gache Gache river is indeed tragic. A noted 4x4 enthusiast, sailor and outdoorsman, Mac was no stranger to wildlife, and while pulling his sailing catamaran up the shore to secure its mooring, a croc approached unseen from between the hulls and launched its attack. At best, this accident can be considered “freak”, but emphasises the fact that these creatures are unpredictable in their nature - scurrying away from any human presence one moment, or seizing an unlikely opportunity the next.

Crocodiles are numerous and ever present in Africa’s waters. While not credited with any great intelligence, they are efficient and instinctive killers, possessed of great strength and ability. They are also known to become habituated to man’s presence and even “learn” that he is a source of food - both as a meal, and in the scraps and free fish meals he provides with fishing nets and keep chains. Kariba has seen its fair share of croc attacks over the years, and over the last couple of years, those crocs in and around the busy places such as Charara, Antelope Island and Gache Gache bay area seem to have lost their instinctual fear of man. Some of these areas are protected breeding grounds for crocodiles and while their population can probably be considered static, these breeding areas are home to many big crocodiles. The attack of Lourens Erasmus and Frank Trott in Charara while fishing a couple of years ago is testament to their boldness.

Gache Gache Lodge were able to mobilise a Professional Hunter - Warren Thorne I believe - and team almost immediately, and the croc - measuring some 14 feet - was shot within a day or so of the attack. Our condolences go out to the Bailey family and friends.

Any croc encountered in the wild can be fatally dangerous, and crocs will happily share a meal, and in the event of an attack, one should never assume there is only one culprit in the vicinity. In the event of an attack, extreme vigilance is necessary during any rescue attempt, as it is entirely possible other crocs are close by and will also attack rescuers as was the case with Frank Trott in 2012 at Charara. Wading in to help his friend who was held firm in a croc’s jaws, a second croc swooped by and attacked Frank. His body was never recovered.

In recent months, Gache Gache Lodge have been posting warnings regarding the crocodiles in their area, and after observing some silly behavior by holiday-makers over the Christmas period - swimming in the bay etc - warned all fishermen and boaters to be more cautious. This latest attack, while not due to any negligence, stands as a dire warning to us all to be more careful.

Ant Williams

African Hunter Magazine African Fisherman Magazine