New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Afton house vip service...
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
We stayed at Afton house on the way through South Africa in Mid July. It is a very comfortable place to stay and they are wonderful people.

I went and cleared my guns through while my son was met with our baggage by Afton House. they took care of him as if he were their own. The stay at Afton was comfortable and very reasonable. We will choose to stay with them again.

Since we came in on KLM we needed to take our guns from KLM to the SAA terminal. We could not check through the bags due to the long layover and change in carriers. I was first in line and from the time of landing to exiting, it was 1 and 1/2 hours.

The girl on duty would not accept my pre completed form and re did the whole form, copying exactly what I had completed. In addition to the 520 I supplied a copy of the form 4457, Ph information for Zimbabwe, address in Zimbabwe, and airline flight information.

the two guys behind me didnt have any forms. Who knows what time they left.

The only thing that could have saved me any time is if the form had been completed and approved ahead of time. Then maybe we would have been through the system in 45-60 minutes. For us paying someone would have been a waste of money.

The entrance to the KLM lounge sits where you can see the SAPS office in the SAA arrival terminal. We saw a long long line and people moving very slowly in and out of the office.

If someone could have your form pre approved and move you to the front of the line. If may be worth a small fee when arriving on SAA.

Posts: 402 | Location: Tennessee, North Carolina | Registered: 01 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
They're still moving the goalposts here, The newest requirements are that all passport and 4457 copies now need to be notarised and the PH & outfitter now need to supply a copy of their licences.

I'm told that the firearms office will change location to a larger venue to ease the situation, however at least one major problem is that the SAP don't have anywhere near enough trained staff to speed up the system...... the longest wait I've heard of is 6 hours (I was told this by 2 American hunters I bumped into at Pietersburg Airport last week).

Even more ridiculous is that all RSA gunowners (at least, I think it's all gunowners, but it might just be all PHs) need to go through a vetting/training process to comply with the new laws and Mpumalanga and KZN (at least) don't have a single person qualified to do these tests!

one of us
posted Hide Post
"and the PH & outfitter now need to supply a copy of their licences."

Does that mean Zimbabwe PH's if hunting in Zimbabwe or only if hunting in RSA?

Thanks,

Leroy

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Yes, apparently it does. We have various clients overnighting at JIA before going onto hunt in Mozambique & also some going to Tanzania, Botswana and/or Namibia at various times and we have been told we need to supply copies of the PH & Outfitter licence for each hunt. We've also been told they will accept licences from RSA OR whichever country they're hunting in .......how bloody ridiculous can they get!!!!! Most of these clients are not even hunting in RSA, just overnighting as part of their journey.

Apparently PHASA are now trying a different tack and are seeking a meeting with the Minister of Tourism to explain how much money this new act will cost the country. If hunters stop coming here, it's not only the hunting industry that suffers, it's the airline and hotel industries etc as well.